No announcement yet.

Google Data Collection... Be Worried!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Data Collection... Be Worried!!

Interestng piece of info courtesy of google-watch.org that you really need to have a look at...

Unless you like being spied on of course ;D

1. Google's immortal cookie:
    Google was the first search engine to use a cookie that expires in 2038. This was at a time when federal websites were prohibited from using persistent cookies altogether. Now it's years later, and immortal cookies are commonplace among search engines; Google set the standard because no one bothered to challenge them. This cookie places a unique ID number on your hard disk. Anytime you land on a Google page, you get a Google cookie if you don't already have one. If you have one, they read and record your unique ID number.

2. Google records everything they can:
    For all searches they record the cookie ID, your Internet IP address, the time and date, your search terms, and your browser configuration. Increasingly, Google is customizing results based on your IP number. This is referred to in the industry as "IP delivery based on geolocation."

3. Google retains all data indefinitely:
    Google has no data retention policies. There is evidence that they are able to easily access all the user information they collect and save.

4. Google won't say why they need this data:
    Inquiries to Google about their privacy policies are ignored. When the New York Times (2002-11-2 asked Sergey Brin about whether Google ever gets subpoenaed for this information, he had no comment.

5. Google hires spooks:
    Matt Cutts, a key Google engineer, used to work for the National Security Agency. Google wants to hire more people with security clearances, so that they can peddle their corporate assets to the spooks in Washington.

6. Google's toolbar is spyware:
    With the advanced features enabled, Google's free toolbar for Explorer phones home with every page you surf, and yes, it reads your cookie too. Their privacy policy confesses this, but that's only because Alexa lost a class-action lawsuit when their toolbar did the same thing, and their privacy policy failed to explain this. Worse yet, Google's toolbar updates to new versions quietly, and without asking. This means that if you have the toolbar installed, Google essentially has complete access to your hard disk every time you connect to Google (which is many times a day). Most software vendors, and even Microsoft, ask if you'd like an updated version. But not Google. Any software that updates automatically presents a massive security risk.

7. Google's cache copy is illegal:
    Judging from Ninth Circuit precedent on the application of U.S. copyright laws to the Internet, Google's cache copy appears to be illegal. The only way a webmaster can avoid having his site cached on Google is to put a "noarchive" meta in the header of every page on his site. Surfers like the cache, but webmasters don't. Many webmasters have deleted questionable material from their sites, only to discover later that the problem pages live merrily on in Google's cache. The cache copy should be "opt-in" for webmasters, not "opt-out."

8. Google is not your friend:
    By now Google enjoys a 75 percent monopoly for all external referrals to most websites. Webmasters cannot avoid seeking Google's approval these days, assuming they want to increase traffic to their site. If they try to take advantage of some of the known weaknesses in Google's semi-secret algorithms, they may find themselves penalized by Google, and their traffic disappears. There are no detailed, published standards issued by Google, and there is no appeal process for penalized sites. Google is completely unaccountable. Most of the time Google doesn't even answer email from webmasters.

9. Google is a privacy time bomb:

With 200 million searches per day, most from outside the U.S., Google amounts to a privacy disaster waiting to happen. Those newly-commissioned data-mining bureaucrats in Washington can only dream about the sort of slick efficiency that Google has already achieved.

FPRULES

Re: Google Data Collection... Be Worried!!

Wait until vasili sees this.....then watch out for the sparks to fly..........
    Have fun
    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
    Newbies / Beginners Forum
    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

HAHAHA let the sparks fly, I didn't write it LOL. Google Watch wrote it, I just found it.

FPRULES

Comment

Originally posted by davidundalicia
        Wait until vasili sees this.....then watch out for the sparks to fly..........
        I know....I guess I set myself up as the "Google-Hater", huh?
        (Nonetheless, I am quite adamant about few issues in my life, but this "Google Thing" is starting to grow larger than I ever intended!)

Interesting developments:
        Sunday, August 6, 2006 : Google announces partnership with Viacom to merge digital advertising to commonplace online opportunities
        (translation/ 1. expect streaming commercials on every Google controlled webpage as part of their "toolbar" 2. every Google program will now require such placements on websites in reciprocal manner....expect pop-ups and animated gifs on your AdSense program if you want access to Google Analytics or wish to keep their Search tools) I truly feel bummed that individual freedoms are being "wiped" and the early warnings (like mine) are seen as obtuse and "silly".......

And.....did you notice the date of the cookie mentioned above....the year 2038???
        That is the year predicted by the Mayans for the end of the worldly cycle as we know it....like the Armegeddon we are familiar with....Hmmm...
        (THAT is a really fascinating story unto itself...it is the date when perfect Earth/Solar system/Milky Way alignment takes place, only once every 20,000 years, and the Maya calculated this over 700 years ago with their simple astrological mapping....WE couldn't even do it until 1977!!)
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Toolbars!! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I cannot stress this enough... Anyone who downlaods ANY non standard toolbar, i.e. Yahoo. Google etc etc are asking for problems. The simple solution is DON'T!

You get nothing in this world for free, if it say's FREE ask yourself "What do they want in return", "what are they getting from this" The answer is a key to the front door of your PC.
          Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Well said!

So I take it you are joining my "Tea Party"??

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili
              Well said!

So I take it you are joining my "Tea Party"??
              OOh Tea... I love Tea!! Will it involve anything to do with saying bad things about Google??? Please say yes!!!
              Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Vasili,

I wished you lived in the UK, then I could tell you who your TV double is!!

Anyone from the UK spot Phil Mitchell here????

Comment

Funny! Ha. Ha. (Do they still broadcast "The Commish" in the UK? Now the same guy is on FX network here in "The Shield" -- I used to get that comparison a lot, but not so much nowadays....don't know who Phil is.)

I think it important to have a VodaHost consensus on the "Google Issue" and to let it become something of a foundational "logistic" when guiding other VH members during their web designs.

And, when the momentum is sufficient, to actually DO something to make a difference with our combined strength....(*along the lines I've suggested earlier).

Gald to see you couldn't stand "retirement," my friend....webbing is simply too addictive, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili
                    Funny! Ha. Ha. (Do they still broadcast "The Commish" in the UK? Now the same guy is on FX network here in "The Shield" -- I used to get that comparison a lot, but not so much nowadays....don't know who Phil is.)

Do you not get Eastenders?

I think it important to have a VodaHost consensus on the "Google Issue" and to let it become something of a foundational "logistic" when giding other VH members during their web designs.

I think I agree with this... I never really understand your big words Vasili!!

And, when the momentum is sufficient, to actually DO something to make a difference with our combined strength....(*along the lines I've suggested earlier).

If only!!

Gald to see you couldn't stand "retirement," my friend....webbing is simply too addictive, isn't it?
                    TOO Addictive : - (

Comment

Wait wait wait... After the Stop the War thread... are you saying Vasili and I do have something in common? LOL ace!!

;)

FPRULES

Comment

I think it important to have a VodaHost consensus on the "Google Issue" and to let it become something of a foundational "logistic" when guiding other VH members during their web designs.

You will never ever get a consensus using language like this....
                        keep it simple.....now who said that ?
                        Have fun
                        Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
                        Newbies / Beginners Forum
                        FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
                        My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
                        Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Hi guys, I just have a feeling what said above about google that's a rip, really I had that feeling, I didn't know (the proof, I had it installed), everyday I was opening my computer and looking into that tool bars and tell it: - I hope if I know what you are doing exactly -

Because it doesn't have any work to do for me really, so why an entreprise will create such a thing.

BEFORE I CONTINUE, I HAVE QUESTIONS, PLEAAAAAASSSSSSSSSEEEEE

1 - when i just started to read the doc above, even before I went to the 2nd paragraph, I said F$#@, I knew it was something behing that google things, I uninstall it immediatly, Now how can I be sure that there is no more danger from it, is it sure now that is totaly gone?

2 - What about google earth? I have fun with it, but I'm ready to remove it if it worths it.

3 - What about Yahoo search bar in my browser?

Thanks guys
                          The Producer

Comment

Yahoo! earth mapping is still "farmed out" and since they are so far behind the ad-scheme game, it's probably the only thing left to use without worry - for now.....

OKOKOK, David.......

"It's time we all agreed to start thinking abour a common response to the 'Google Issue'....so that we might better advise everyone as they build their BV websites. Maybe THEN we can all decide to co-ordinate a plan to make our voices heard, rather than sit back and be screwed!"

How was that????

LOL

Comment

Good questions NPro....

I dont think you need to worry about Yahoo. I have never heard of anything untoward with their software but I would never call myself 100% sure about any internet company. With Google, especially if you are using Adsense or Adwords there really is no getting around the secret data collection in fact... Everytime you search in Google a cookie will be sent to your PC so regardless of what precautions you take you can never be 100% free. The problem here is that there is no doubting that we need Google and as a result they have us by the short n curlies. Anybody here run a forum/messageboard? Ever wondered about that mysterious guest with an IP address that starts with 66.249 ..... ?

If you have that IP address following you round the net then I am affraid they have you

Not sure about Google Earth but given the fact that simply searching using Google search is is probably a safe bet that all Google programs have some kind of spyware attached.

FPRULES

Comment

Working...
                              X