Housekeeping Tip - Identifying old unused files and images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Housekeeping Tip - Identifying old unused files and images

Over time, after trying many variations of our web pages, we end up with a large collection of unused images and "bv01234.gif" files.
    This will help in identifying unused files. Then you can delete them from your local PC, and your public_html folder.

First, a bit of background stuff.
    When you first insert an image into a BV page, lets say you insert the image from ...JunkFolder\Image01.
    It doesn't matter that you inserted the image from JunkFolder, BV will make a copy of the image in its bluevoda\images folder when you publish the page.
    So the bluevoda\images folder contains your current published images, AND past published images.

BV also makes a copy of the previewed images in ...
    Documents and Settings\yourusername\Local Settings\Temp\preview

So to clean up the unused images try this.
    Go to this Temp\Preview folder in explorer and add the column "Date accessed" to the explorer window.
    (Right click the headings, choose 'more', and tick "Date Accessed")

Now go to each of you pages in turn, and preview them all.
    If you then go back to the temp/preview explorer window, you can see which ones have been accessed by your last preview.
    (Sort them by "Date Accessed" by clicking the date accessed heading)
    The ones that have just been accessed are the current, in use images.
    You can delete the rest from the Preview folder, and the Images folder on your local PC.

Then delete them from your public_html folder on your server.
    The best way to delete a bunch at a time from the public_html folder, is to open FTP Manager. Then select all the unused files by CRTL+click, which will highlight them, then delete.
    Royden

www.harrow-art.com
    www.harrow.co.za

Re: Housekeeping Tip - Identifying old unused files and images

Just before this post disappears off the bottom of the page, I wouldn't mind some feedback on whether ...
    I have or have not, explained myself OK.
    It is too technical.
    You are too scared to try.
    It doesn't matter if there are lots of unwanted files anyway...

Or whatever
    Regards
    Royden

www.harrow-art.com
    www.harrow.co.za

Comment

its a bit to technical and boring for me i find getting a virus helps thin things down a bit then i system restore back about 6 months tends to do the trick cheers any way
      The get vasili to join our forum campaign has begun

www.thatgoodsite.com and our forum of fun also starring my hero vasili
      Weve got movies,arcade,radio,T.V,chat,music,funny vids,jokes and lots and lots of fun for free

Comment

I'll be doing it this winter - so was glad to read that - the date part helps a lot - hadn't thought about doing that! Thanks.
        Beth
        A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
        SEO - The Basics

Comment

Yep... Your advice ... good advice... 'cause I end up with a boatload of pictures and images stuffed everywhere in different art programs ..and cleaning house can take a bit of time... thanks... Doug

Comment

Working...
          X