Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Really Stupid Question......

Hey guys!
    I'm pretty new to all this computer stuff so you'll have to go easy on me here!
    I downloaded the free BlueVoda web builder and really want to get started on my site but am already ridiculously stuck!! (Yes, despite the tutorials!!!)
    Basically, I want to install a template and, indeed, have done but it doesn't look like it fits the page... I mean, when I put the template in the top lefthand corner there seems to be a gap at the bottom of the screen and I don't know if this is right or not? I've tried resizing it but I still get the gap and to be completely honest, I have no clue whatsoever about computers and web design so I don't know if this is meant to happen or not!!!! Can someone help with this?
    Also, I want to add things like cursor trails to my site and have found a few that I'd like to download but there is no tutorial for this on the site in question... I suspect I copy the code and then paste it onto my page?? BUT, will it come up on my page as a cursor trail or just the code? Being a novice (or idiot!!) I want to see what I'm doing, not just be faced with millions of codes that make no sense to me!! Also, with these codes, are they automatically read by the programme because I have no clue how to decipher them! And with the cursor trail, how do I know when I open my website that my graphics are going to follow the guests cursors around???!!! I mean, do I have to place them in a particular area of my site to get them to work?? I hope you get what I'm rambling about - I can't explain complicated computer things very well!! If anyone can help PLEEEZZZZE let me know - I'm really stuck!! And explain it to me like I'm 5, not 23 - there's a chance I might just get it then!!!
    While I'm at it, do you lovely lot know of any sites where I can find more cursor trails, fireworks and floating pixels/images?
    Thanks in advance - you're all stars!
    *PCQ*
    sigpic"Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to."

Re: A Really Stupid Question......

Originally posted by PinCushionQueen
    Hey guys!
    I'm pretty new to all this computer stuff so you'll have to go easy on me here!

I downloaded the free BlueVoda web builder and really want to get started on my site but am already ridiculously stuck!! (Yes, despite the tutorials!!!)
    Basically, I want to install a template and, indeed, have done but it doesn't look like it fits the page... I mean, when I put the template in the top lefthand corner there seems to be a gap at the bottom of the screen and I don't know if this is right or not? I've tried resizing it but I still get the gap and to be completely honest, I have no clue whatsoever about computers and web design so I don't know if this is meant to happen or not!!!! Can someone help with this?

Also, I want to add things like cursor trails to my site and have found a few that I'd like to download but there is no tutorial for this on the site in question... I suspect I copy the code and then paste it onto my page?? BUT, will it come up on my page as a cursor trail or just the code? Being a novice (or idiot!!) I want to see what I'm doing, not just be faced with millions of codes that make no sense to me!!

Also, with these codes, are they automatically read by the programme because I have no clue how to decipher them! And with the cursor trail, how do I know when I open my website that my graphics are going to follow the guests cursors around???!!! I mean, do I have to place them in a particular area of my site to get them to work??

I hope you get what I'm rambling about - I can't explain complicated computer things very well!! If anyone can help PLEEEZZZZE let me know - I'm really stuck!! And explain it to me like I'm 5, not 23 - there's a chance I might just get it then!!!

While I'm at it, do you lovely lot know of any sites where I can find more cursor trails, fireworks and floating pixels/images?
    Thanks in advance - you're all stars!
    *PCQ*
    PinCushionQueen,

I'm going to try and answer some of your questions. I'm not an expert, but have created a website (no longer active) with cursor trails in my sordid past . . . woops, too many college words there. HaHa.

OK.
    1. A great place to start looking for cursor trails is The Javascript Source at http://javascript.internet.com . Most of their totally free files come as zipped files, so you will need a program that unzips them. A zipped file is a compressed file that takes up less room on your hard drive, until it is unzipped. The program you're looking for is called "WinZip" for windows. Personally I like using another program called "7-Zip" available at http://www.7-zip.org .It is more cross-platform friendly. So, the Java Script files that are zipped usually come with a "readme" text file inside them, that explains in easy language how to put the code in your webpage.

2. Pasting Java scripts into your webpage usually involves switching your webpage editor to "HTML" so inside BlueVoda go to the top of the window, click on the "View" link, go down to the "page HTML" link and a new window appears.

3. Depending on the instructions included with the Java script code, you can then "paste" the code into the HTML window wherever they say to paste it. Usually Java scripts have 2 sets of code.

A. The first set of code is usually pasted "between the head".

B. The second set of code is usually pasted "Inside Body Tag" to where ever you want it placed. Then click OK to implement what you just did. You won't see the code until you go back to the HTML view. So when you upload the page to your website, you will just see the effects, not the code.

BUT, if you paste the code into the page like regular text, you will see the code like regular text. Of course I'm over-simplifying it a bit here and there are many other variables at play.

First try designing something really simple, then take a look at the code in HTML view. If you can't figure out what something does, come back here to this forum and ask. There's a special forum for just the kinds of things you're asking about. BUT, you will have to search for it. The more you learn about the code, the more you'll be able to do.
    The most important part of designing a website is to first: draw it out on paper. Design the whole thing, links and all. Make lists of all the elements you want. I use a sheet of paper for each page.
    Sometimes I even use crayons.
    Big-D

"Some lawyers are like slinkies. They can bring a smile to your face when you get to push them down a flight of stairs."

Comment

Hi Everyone,
      If you think that question is stupid you might really blow your mind over mine
      I always used the MS Publisher to make my web pages, but the new publisher,
      wants to put each page in a separate folder making it impossible to upload
      all the different stuff to the web.
      so I decided to download BlueVoda and go from there, well it seems
      that this one is really different and I need a lot of help,
      LIKE how do you get a background install to get started, there is a
      background option under the format command, but it is grayed out on
      my drop down window.
      there is a ton of options that are grayed out, how do I get these activated???
      garein06@localnet.com

Comment

Thanks Big-D!! Still processing your info but it's starting to make sense!!!!

LittleAuggie, as you could probably tell from my message I'm the worst person to ask for advice!!!! I couldn't even get going with Microsoft Front Page (don't laugh!!!!!) so that's why I installed BlueVoda...
        Now, tell me off if I've got your question wrong but if you're wanting to install a background you can just insert it from your picture file and resize it or whatever from there... That's the way I've been doing it anyway and it's actually worked!!! *Hooray for me!!* Is that what you meant?? You'll have to ignore me - I'm a writer in the process of getting my first book published but when it comes to PC's and stuff I only really do baby-speak!!!!! As for how to activate the greyed-out options I have no idea! I've tried everything and think I'll email the customer services! If you figure it out first would you let me know??!! Sorry if this babble is no help! Good luck!!
        *PCQ*

Comment

Was this related to your other post?
          Plan your work, read this by *****:
          http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/web...r-website.html
          Bill
          www.blueearthtea.com
          www.ftaaconsulting.com
          www.iaval.com
          www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

you set up your page background under View, Page properties, background. There is a tutorial on setting up your page properties. Go to the tutorial section and read through the different tuts to get started. I am STILL rereading some of them after building 3 pages.

When something is "greyed out" on the menu bars, it means you are not in the right "place" to use those options or they are not available in that setting, etc. Depending on what you are trying to do, you may have to double click the page, image, shape, etc. to "activate" the menu item. It is really hard to explain this without knowing exactly what you are trying to do.
            still working on website!

Comment

i put backgrounds in by right clicking on an empty part of the page and going to the background tab. here you can brows for an image or change the color of the background. i also used shapes for background colors - just remember to send them to the back
              Ann
              www.MovingOn1.com - My Travel
              www.BeadedCustomDesigns.com - Jewelry
              www.FantasyManorArtStudio.com - Leather Art

Comment

The way I learnt how to design web pages is very similar to hand painting on canvas. What I do before anything else is start with the background. Always work from the background rising outward towards you. Each 2-D element you lay on top of the background helps to define the 3-D space, even though it's merely a 2-D construct.
                Big-D

"Some lawyers are like slinkies. They can bring a smile to your face when you get to push them down a flight of stairs."

Comment

Hooray!! I've mastered my backgrounds!!!! Hehe!
                  Next problem: when I change my scrollbar colour in page properties I see the preview but when I close the box my scrollbar doesn't appear on the page... Is it not meant to??!!

*PCQ*

Comment

Originally posted by PinCushionQueen
                    Hooray!! I've mastered my backgrounds!!!! Hehe!
                    Next problem: when I change my scrollbar colour in page properties I see the preview but when I close the box my scrollbar doesn't appear on the page... Is it not meant to??!!

*PCQ*
                    Hello PinCushionQueen!

First I must tell you; There is NO such thing as a stupid question.

On the scrollbar question. Once you set your scrollbar properties make sure to save your page, then go to the top of the bluevoda toolbar and click on FILE then scroll down to Preview in Browser. While in editing mode you cant see your finished scrollbar, but when you preview your page in your browser you WILL be able to see it. I hope this helps you.
                    brenT

Comment

Aha!! Got it!! Thanks for that!
                      Next problem: what are those stripes of colour or pattern or whatever that people have down one side of their page that they place their menu buttons on? I want to do that for my page but don't know what I'm looking for to insert!!!! If I'm not explaining properly check this site:
                      http://members.aol.com/sirchin/afc.htm

Is this block of green down the left hand side just part of the template? So far my page has a green patterned background but I want a different colour down the left hand side for my menu. Is it possible to do this over an already saved background?
                      Thanks!
                      *PCQ*

Comment

Working...
                      X