PDA

View Full Version : What do the different target possibilities mean?

Oboe Girl
08-13-2006, 04:51 AM
I know this is a basic question but I'm very new to all this. I know that target open up a new window. I have been using that but wasn't sure if that was best to do on all my navagation buttons. I know I always do it when linking to another site so people won't leave mine but within my own site do I always want to have them go to a new window? What would help me decide what to do? They will have all my navagation buttons on each page to use to get to another page so should I use one of the other possibilities?

What do the other target possibilites "self," "parent," & "top" mean?

Jeremy
08-13-2006, 05:21 AM
Hey there!

_blank will open the link or image in a new window.
_self will open the link or image on the same page.
_parent will open the link or image on the same page.
_top will open the link or image on the same page.

That is all I know. I am pretty sure that the 2 other ones are ment for different script meanings or something, I have never had to use them.

Oboe Girl
08-13-2006, 05:41 AM
Thanks Jeremy! I appreciate it. I looked at your site. It is GREAT! You must have used self right? Then you can go back to get to the same page or hit a navagation button - RIGHT? I think that's what I want. The other seems too bulky for people to deal with. All those pages open.

Jeremy
08-14-2006, 01:41 AM
Hey!

Yes, all of my pages open on the same browser except for pages that aren't linked to our site like PayPal or VodaHost. Because if you link a button on the same browser to a page that does not belong to your site it can take your customer's away because they might start looking at that site and not yours.

Good luck

Vasili
08-17-2006, 04:22 AM
Hey there!

_blank will open the link or image in a new window.
_self will open the link or image on the same page.
_parent will open the link or image on the same page.
_top will open the link or image on the same page.

That is all I know. I am pretty sure that the 2 other ones are ment for different script meanings or something, I have never had to use them.
^ ^ INCORRECT

_blank opens link in a new browser pane (a pop-up)
_self opens to specific targeted section on the same page (as bookmark)
_parent re-opens the original page from re-direct
_top opens linked page loaded "top of browser" (default)

For the Authoritive Tutorial which explains these uses in detail, use this link : http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/hyperlinking-making-all-come-together/862-creating-hyperlinks.html

As a "Webmaster" and VodaHost Officer, Jeremy, you should know these things....

Oboe Girl
08-17-2006, 06:06 AM
Vasili,

Thank you so very much. I understand it much better but still am not quite sure what to use. I can see I don't want to use "blank" on my page navagation buttons because of opening a new browser page. Self doesn't sound right since it is a bookmark. Should I use parent? Any input would be helpful. Thanks

Jeremy
08-17-2006, 03:20 PM
There you go! Vasili's got my back, haha

bill2006
08-17-2006, 03:27 PM
Vasili,

Thank you so very much. I understand it much better but still am not quite sure what to use. I can see I don't want to use "blank" on my page navagation buttons because of opening a new browser page. Self doesn't sound right since it is a bookmark. Should I use parent? Any input would be helpful. Thanks

Don't select anything, leave empty or select any but _blank

Oboe Girl
08-17-2006, 05:34 PM
Thank You So Much. It Solved The Mystery For Me!!!