Question on page rank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on page rank

I set my website up around 6 months ago and the words google page rank kept coming up. I did a search in google and added the code to find I have a ranking of 3 for my site.

I am still unsure what this means, I understand the higher the ranking the more your site is rated by google, but what actually pushes your ranking up? Also my site can still no be found under the relevent keywords in google (I got to page 48 before giving up yesterday) any reason why?

Basically I am asking what the ranking means and what methods help it?

Regards Paul
    www.anxietynomore.co.uk

Re: Question on page rank

Paul, This article will explain everything you wish to know about google etc.

Have fun
    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
    Newbies / Beginners Forum
    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Thank you David I will take a look.

Paul
      www.anxietynomore.co.uk

Comment

As many of you are probably already aware, Google ranks a page according to the number and quality of links leading to that page. For example, if your page has 100 quality links leading to it, it will rank higher than another page that has only 20 links pointing at it. Quality links come from pages that are themselves "important" (Google's own terminology).
        Note that this is not a secret. Google actually publishes information about their ranking algorithm on their website. You can read it for yourself at http://www.google.com/technology/.
        Best Web Templates|Website Templates| Logo Templates

Comment

Links back to the page are only a PART of the equation. Yes, they are important - but you can have thousands of links back and get a poor page rank if the other factors aren't included - and you can get a very high ranking with only a few GOOD links back and the rest of the equation factored in.

For those of you confused about what I mean regarding good and bad links - let's say you have a site on reporters and get a link back from a new site selling ***** with no text and it doesn't relate in any fashion to what your site is about. That link might not even count towards your ranking. Now say that the New York Times links to you. That is not only considered a good site and relates to your site but a trustworthy source - and you'll get much more credit for that one.

It's nice to have ranking - but it's not something to watch constantly or you'll pull your hair out. Remember the se's basically are looking for results to give to their searchers that the searchers would want to get. Build your site with your target audience in mind and follow the basic structuring (title tags, meta description, h tags (headlines) on the pages, good, quality text, watch your spelling and grammar - easily navigable - you do all this - then start getting GOOD links, and your rank will rise.

Now, don't refuse to link with a new site that Google won't count now - cuz that site, if it is well-done - and stays around - will move up also and it will eventually count for you. You will not be penalized if a "bad" site links to you - but you could be penalized for linking to bad sites yourself.
          Beth
          A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
          SEO - The Basics

Comment

Paul - you will probably not see yourself in the Google pages for quite a while - you are new and there are millions of other sites competing for the same phrases. If you want to target some of the lesser phrases that there are less searches for - Google might start showing you for some of those. Don't be surprised for it to be a year or more before you see your major keywords appearing on Google.

For example, if you were looking at 1 million sites using the same phrases - and there were 100 of them that had not only been around for 5 years or more, but had links coming into them from good sources - and you had a site that was 6 months old with very few links and not much new on it compared to the others - which one would you check out first? Wouldn't you go with the one with experience? That's what Google is doing. And, unfortunately for new sites, that means you have to hang in there and keep plugging away. Time will work in your favor.

And you need to use a service to check your keywords - not waste your time looking for them.
            Beth
            A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

2 thumbs up Beth!
              ABC Gardiner

Comment

Say you like to attract more customers to your site. Use specific info on your site and use a lot of synonims. Take care of your header and the name of the site or pay google.
                www.jaspernieuwenhuizen.nl
                www.jaspernieuwenhuizen.com

Comment

Working...
                X