HP? New computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP? New computer?

Okay, we are getting a new computer, and were wondering if HP is an okay company... We have heard bad things about them from people that totally tweak out their machines, but good things from people that just buy the computer and use it as is. The machine is $999.99 and hase 500 gigs of memory, 2 gigs of RAM, intel centrino duo technology etcetera... Good company, or not?

Re: HP? New computer?

Cool, 500GB memeory is significant your backup drive going to be that big too? and 2 in RAM -good for a lot of video games.

After the merger/buyout with Compaq, the new company has worked hard to improve the quality at HP - leaving Compaq a bit to the rear. They (HP) make good desktops.
    Bill
    www.blueearthtea.com
    www.ftaaconsulting.com
    www.iaval.com
    www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

I am starting to lean the HP way again (after horror stories in the '90's with 4 self-destructing desktops), especially in toward the 17" laptop they have with the built-in satellite capability (which I will use the Verizon plug-in).

Thing is, I will have to have my wife buy it for me in Florida and ship both out to me in California, as Verizon is NOT represented well at all out here.
      Apparently only HP and Gateway (the one that swivels the screen) have this so far....

I am too Dell'd out to look at any other solution, personally.
      HP=Great choice!
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

alright... Hp it is. :) This is gonna be awesome!!! We are also getting a lynksis wireless speed booster router, so that the laptop will be able to move around the house!

Comment

*thumbs up* HP is great! Every computer I have had were HP and I hadn't regreted any of my purchases. I also have a Lynksis wireless router too and I never had any problems.:D Enjoy!
          Best Regards,
          Nicolas

www.bwservices.ca

Comment

New computer advise-

500 gig hard drive is great but make sure that you partition the drive into useable chunks.

If I have a 200 gig hard drive I usually put the operating system on 20 gig and then divide the hard drive up into a couple partitions -say an 80 gig and then 100.

The reason is this- if your operating system gets corrupt, stops working or you have to do a re-install, {or wish to upgrade from XP to XP pro)- you can install it on that partition and not touch or lose data on the other partitions.

Additionally- if you have a drive that is 500 gig and you do defrag- it will take hours......................

Keep in mind- most viruses/trojans/worms trash or target the OS and rarely go deep infecting different drives or files on those different drives. There are programs that will let you password lock a partition also.

Summary- big hard drives are great so long as you break it up into manageable chunks.

Andy
            PHP- is a blast!

Comment

hey, thanks for the advice!!! That shall help me a lot, considering that I never created a partition on my laptop, and havent ever reinstalled xp. :) (It is 5! Years old!!!)

Comment

Working...
              X