PDA

View Full Version : Security for e-mail when using forms

philipc9635
08-21-2006, 10:14 AM
Hello, Phil here

I have created a basic form in BV for a Newsletter. It consists of Name, E-mail and a submit button.

When I fill it in in the browser it comes up with a message saying your information can be read by others and your details are not encrypted. I have successfully sent an e-mail to myself and received my autoresponse.

I want to protect my e-mail and the e-mail of my subscribers from spam etc. I am currently using the Squirell Web Mail. I have read Andys Tutorials on security but as a newcomer I simply don't understand or have the ability to follow the tutorial. ( Sorry Andy, I'm a monkey see, monkey do type of guy and wouldn't have a clue what php123 is etc.)

How can I encrypt the form and protect the information from being read by others? Or is having a registration form with password protect the only option? I wanted to avoid having to register people.

Thanks

Andy128
08-21-2006, 12:24 PM
You could buy an ssl certificate for your site (click here (http://www.vodahost.com/ssl.htm) for more info)

Andy

navaldesign
08-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Your best bet is to try to follow Andy's tutorial or the basic script in BlueVoda Form Tutorial 1 (http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/forms/9349-bluevoda-forms-tutorial-part-1-a.html), as neither your email will be visible, and the info submitted will be encoded (even though not encrypted).
And it is free.

philipc9635
08-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Thanks guys

I might consider the SSL further down the track. I'll go back to Andy's tutorial and try and work it out but I may need some clarification on some of the harder stuff.

philipc9635
08-21-2006, 02:54 PM
Hello again from Phil

Andy and Navaldesign if your out there I've had a closer look at this php security script and after reading it through slowly about 5 times I think I'm getting the idea.

Now my form won't have a "comments section" in it so I guess I've got to delete a large section of this script once I saved it to notepad. I hope I delete the right parts!!!!

The only other question I have is do I have to publish my pages to see if my form works? I'm still working on my site and it could be at least a month away.

Thanks

Andy128
08-21-2006, 03:03 PM
Yes- you will need to publish the form and the thankyou (or error page- which ever tutorial you used) in order to test it.

Andy

philipc9635
08-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Thanks Andy