Making people register - help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making people register - help please!

Having been subjected to a number of people putting spam entried on my forum at www.limebrook.com, I changed it so you had to register, and that the administrator had to approve the registration before people could put on an entry.

However daily I am getting people who are not registered putting on an entry as 'guest'!

Can anyone tell me what I have or haven't done to allow them to do this? It is REALLY annoying. ****** has no place on a horse riding site!

Many thanks if you can help!
    Trish
    www.Limebrook.com
    www.MountainWalk.co.uk
    www.MyBeardedDragons.co.uk
    www.TucsonForBeginners.com
    www.Pets4kids.info

Re: Making people register - help please!

The question is.. did you have the 'Guest' as part of the forum structure before..? And have you disabled that feature..?

Comment

Trish-

Time to update your board.
      At the bottom of your Admin Index page, you will see the version you have, and whether or not you have an update available. It's an automatic feature, and since you don't have a custom skin (or other MOD's or images installed) the update will simply overwrite the current version. Pretty slick.

Carlos is pointing in the right direction: in your configuration, you will see that you can not only specify the process for registration, but disallow Guests from posting, or any other activity. This is especially true on the newer version: until someone logs in, the forum will present a "restricted" index....
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Originally posted by limebrook1
        Having been subjected to a number of people putting spam entried on my forum at www.limebrook.com, I changed it so you had to register, and that the administrator had to approve the registration before people could put on an entry.

However daily I am getting people who are not registered putting on an entry as 'guest'!

Can anyone tell me what I have or haven't done to allow them to do this? It is REALLY annoying. ****** has no place on a horse riding site!

Many thanks if you can help!
        Edit the permissions for your forums and set them where a person has to be registered to post. Admin Panel > Forum Admin > Permissions.
        My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili
          Trish-

Time to update your board.
          At the bottom of your Admin Index page, you will see the version you have, and whether or not you have an update available. It's an automatic feature, and since you don't have a custom skin (or other MOD's or images installed) the update will simply overwrite the current version. Pretty slick.

Carlos is pointing in the right direction: in your configuration, you will see that you can not only specify the process for registration, but disallow Guests from posting, or any other activity. This is especially true on the newer version: until someone logs in, the forum will present a "restricted" index....
          Not quite right - she has the Google ads on the left side of the forum and an upgrade would remove them.
          My NASCAR Forum

Comment

FINE!
            (I was hoping no-one would really notice that.....I am SO fond of Google ads!)

I guess you could see it as a means to either update or possibly even reconsider them altogether...

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by racefan20
              Edit the permissions for your forums and set them where a person has to be registered to post. Admin Panel > Forum Admin > Permissions.
              also to add to this , some Registration to forums are done by roge robots. to use the Visual registration and a mod called the humanizer helps keep these away.

Comment

I know what you are saying, General, as I USED to have that setup...And....for some reason, my new Forum doesn't have the same type of "Permissions" setup: it's no longer there at all > Permissions are now set via the Users/Group Management, and then only as a Rank function.
                There used to be a way to look someone up, and actually assign status to each Forum/Thread, but no longer..... I only have the ability to assign a rank to a User after I establish a rank. And, I have 2 configuration panels, and am personally both Site and General Administraor, with 2 different fuctions.....

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili
                  I know what you are saying, General, as I USED to have that setup...And....for some reason, my new Forum doesn't have the same type of "Permissions" setup: it's no longer there at all > Permissions are now set via the Users/Group Management, and then only as a Rank function.
                  There used to be a way to look someone up, and actually assign status to each Forum/Thread, but no longer..... I only have the ability to assign a rank to a User after I establish a rank. And, I have 2 configuration panels, and am personally both Site and General Administraor, with 2 different fuctions.....
                  That's the whole point of having usergroups in place - you can edit permissions for many members at once. It's pretty simple to go through and create a few usergroups with many different permissions and then you can just add a member to the appropriate usergroup when you need to.

The admin panel you have now is the phpBB version of what we see with vBulletin - we don't do much user management, but lots of usergroup management.
                  My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Thanks Race! As always excellent advice! I missed this!

And Vasili - LOL I'll keep my adsense thank you very much - it suits me fine!
                    Trish
                    www.Limebrook.com
                    www.MountainWalk.co.uk
                    www.MyBeardedDragons.co.uk
                    www.TucsonForBeginners.com
                    www.Pets4kids.info

Comment

Working...
                    X