Linking a PDF file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linking a PDF file

I am having trouble linking a PDF file. I've done everything properly (I think) at the FTP site, but when trying to get to the link on the web page, I just get "Page Cannot Be Displayed". What did I do wrong, and how can it be fixed? the page is at www.kzoocoping.com/registration

Re: Linking a PDF file

Your page should be: http://www.kzoocoping.com/registration.html

Open it again in BV, save and re-publish.
    Bill
    www.blueearthtea.com
    www.ftaaconsulting.com
    www.iaval.com
    www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

ok, I re-published as www.kzoocoping/registration.html still no link to the PDF. I'm sure it's some little thing I haven't done, but I can't figure it out.

Comment

OK!! now i got it! i was using a wrong address to link the pdf. got it fixed and it's working fine now! thanks for the help

Comment

I've been studying this thread and the other one about linking to .pdf's on a (Vodahost) FTP server, but still am stumped.

The page where I want the links is www.jhwm.net/samples.html. On that page, below the photo, you'll see I have a small piece of text I want hyperlinked to "Your Choice Auto print ad, with sky.pdf" which is on (the R-hand side of) my FTP Manager, inside a folder named "Samples of work". Both of these URLs take me to a standard "Page Cannot be Displayed" page:

http://www.jhwm.net/Your Choice Auto print ad, with sky.pdf

http://www.jhwm.net/Samples of work/Your Choice Auto print ad, with sky.pdf

I've also had no luck trying to create the URL in an ftp format, that is: ftp://74.##.##.194/Samples of work/Your Choice Auto print ad, with sky.pdf

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Comment

Take the blankc and the comma off your foldername and filename, then recreate the link. You can use underscores if you like instead of blank spaces
            Navaldesign
            Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thanks, Naval, I replaced the spaces in the pdf name with underscores, but:

When I go into BlueFTP and connect to my server, I can right-click on the folder icon ("Samples of work" in the R-hand pane) that has the spaces in it, and type in a new folder name with underscores, or hyphens, or no spaces, but it won't "keep" the new filename. As soon as I click on an area away from the newly typed folder name, the name switches back to the old name.

I'm thinking maybe I should just take the files in the "Samples of work" folder out of that folder, but I don't know how. Advice?

Comment

Hey, Navaldesign, or someone else out there: Could you PLEEEEEZE give me some advice on getting the spaces out of that folder name I put on my FTP server? I would really appreciate it!!

Comment

Yes, BlueFTP is does that from time to time. Go in CP, File manager, select your folder, and on the top right corner you will see options to delete, rename, change permissions etc. Rename it from there.
                  Navaldesign
                  Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                  DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                  Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thank you for replying! I had no trouble going to my CP > File Manager, and selecting the Samples of work folder, but I don't see any options to delete, rename, change permissions in the upper-R corner (or anywhere else). I will e-mail you (separate from this post) a screen shot to show you what I'm seeing. I'm sure we can figure it out.

Comment

Have a look:

You must first select a folder so that the options will become available.
                      Navaldesign

Comment

OK, first the good news: I was able to rename the folder and eliminate the spaces--it's now named SamplesofWork. And I know how to hyperlink the text I want linked to the .pdf. But when I test the link in BV's preview mode, I still get "The page cannot be displayed" every time.

The two hyperlinks I've tried since renaming the folder are:
                        (NOTE: The Forum seems to be truncating these two URLs, I did not put those "..." in them):

ftp://74.52.61.194/SamplesofWork/You...d_with_sky.pdf

Please enlighten me (further)! Thank you.

Comment

Sorry but i can'tenlight you more without access to your site. if you wish, use my form to send me your loggin info (IP, username, password)
                          Navaldesign

Comment

Thanks, Naval, I just went to that page on your site and sent you my VodaHost IP address, username, password, and primary nameserver. Sorry to have to get you this deeply involved in my site-building work.

BTW, one other URL I tried after renaming the folder 'SamplesofWork' was:
                            http://www.jhwm.net/Your_Choice_Auto...d_with_sky.pdf.

That one didn't work either. Thanks for digging into my site files and seeing what you can find.

Comment

Hi,

the problem is that you have created the "SamplesofWork" folder in the upper level. This folder should be created inside your "public_html" folder, and the PDF file should be placed in it. The way it is now, it is not accessible through the browser, because only the "public_html" content can be reached through a browser. You have both "SamplesofWork" and " Samples of Pre-JHWM Work ". Create the new folder , move all the content (you have several files in there) from "SamplesofWork" in the new "SamplesofWork" and then delete the two old folders.
                              Navaldesign

Comment

Working...
                              X