Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affiliate Link Cloaking

Hello,

Firstly, much thanks to VodaHost for making my first experience of creating and publishing a website so easy and fun.

I have a website with many links to different affliate merchants including VodaHost and BlueVoda. My question is, what is the easiest way for me to hide or cloak all my affiliate link urls on my pages? Is it really necessary to do so? I've heard stories about affiliate ID link jackers and such, but is this fear mongering or a legitimate problem? I think I would feel safer to cloak all my links. I know this may require setting up a redirect page, I'd like instructions on how I can do this with BlueVoda. Is there any simpler alternative? Many sincere thanks.

Client ID # 9535

Re: Affiliate Link Cloaking

Most affiliate networks offer masking when using their unique link generators. This is always offered as an option, and is never required, for a couple of reasons:

1. Since most bona fide links are web-based (they auto-link to a specific web page maintained by the "Vendor" where your link is "published", for this is why your banner might be changed or "rotated" without your involvement), the HTML code provided to you contains your identifier and the code necessary to produce the image of the banner itself. This image code is actually a link back to the vendor to call up the image you have elected to use. >> The point is, since these unique banners are maintained by the vendors within their specific web affiliate areas, they will not perform adversely if "hijacked"...they will only deliver visitors to the web page specified, and will always mimic your identification, thus;

2. Hijacking of affiliate links is a threat from days past, for the most part. Programs have developed far beyond the time when a unique code was provided to you to place and publish yourself....most links are generated, and physically linked to a static maintenence page hosted by the vendor. If a link of yours was "hijacked" it would still perform as intended.

3. NEVER use a third-party code writer, or masking script when participating in an Affiliate Program, as most "alterations" to supplied code and provided links would abrogate Terms and Agreements you subscribed.

And on you go....
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Very well said General.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Quite Welcome!

"Your Success is Our Success!"

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili
            3. NEVER use a third-party code writer, or masking script when participating in an Affiliate Program, as most "alterations" to supplied code and provided links would abrogate Terms and Agreements you subscribed.

And on you go....
            Hold on, I'm not sure about that last point. Many affiliate programs I've used actually recommend the use of affiliate cloakers. As stated if your using CJ or some other big networks you can do it automatically but for the privatly hosted programs a link cloaker is usually ok.

The term link cloaker has negative connotations- sound illegal doesn't it, but all its usually doing is preventing your visitors from knowing your getting money from the link so that they trust your recommendation more.

I got advice about it here http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/hyp...ate-links.html
            which worked fine, but incindently haven't seen any improved results from it, actually decreased results but probably just a coincedence.

P.s sorry about the slight bump but I felt that needed to be said as original question hadn't really been answered.

*ducks and prepares for long winded answer from Vasili*

Comment

Most of the posts from my esteemed peers in the thread you reference are rather proficient with scripts, code, or have a healthy list of referenced support to provide, but do not have the experience with Affiliate Marketing that I do.

Even ***** (General VodaHost) himself above in this thread went out of his way to indicate "the bottom line" answer to this question.

You can obviously do whatever you want to do (for whatever reason you concoct), but in my opinion, it's a waste of time and a potential cause for liability from a valued Network Affiliate or Preferred Vendor. It makes no matter to me, either way. Yet, I will not present a "solution" that IS available if properly searched in VodaTalk. I prefer to think that exercising this choice may prevent my peers from making a mistake...and me partly to blame.

I am happy making money hand over fist without resorting to such James Bond methods!

*ducks and prepares for long winded answer from Vasili*.....at least I have them, and they are factual and from personal experience!

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili
                Most of the posts from my esteemed peers in the thread you reference are rather proficient with scripts, code, or have a healthy list of referenced support to provide, but do not have the experience with Affiliate Marketing that I do.

Even ***** (General VodaHost) himself above in this thread went out of his way to indicate "the bottom line" answer to this question.

You can obviously do whatever you want to do (for whatever reason you concoct), but in my opinion, it's a waste of time and a potential cause for liability from a valued Network Affiliate or Preferred Vendor. It makes no matter to me, either way. Yet, I will not present a "solution" that IS available if properly searched in VodaTalk. I prefer to think that exercising this choice may prevent my peers from making a mistake...and me partly to blame.

I am happy making money hand over fist without resorting to such James Bond methods!

*ducks and prepares for long winded answer from Vasili*.....at least I have them, and they are factual and from personal experience!
                Vasili, I actually like reading your posts so I just want to be clear that I was making a joke.

Heres an email I got after I asked a large affilate program, worldwidebrands about it after you advised me to be careful.

We have no concern with you using a javascript to cloak your id. I
                recommend however that you make sure that the cookie is setting correctly.

Instructions to confirm the affiliate code is correct in the link or banner
                code on your website:
                1) Log in to your Affiliate account through the Affiliate Login in the
                Affiliate Center. Use your affiliate id as username. If you have forgotten
                your password, select Lost Password, and it will be emailed to the email in
                your profile.
                2) Select the affiliate links on your website
                3) Select Refresh on the your administration page to confirm that the click
                thrus are updating on the Affiliate Administration statistics table. The
                table updates in real time for the click-thrus, so you can select your links
                on your website and confirm the number of click-thrus listed on the
                Administration page. If your code is correct then the click-thrus will
                update respectively.

For the mouse over text, here is an example of a script you could use:
                <a href="http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/...t.asp?id=12021"
                onMouseOver="return showStatus('www.worldwidebrands.com');"
                onMouseOut="return showStatus('');">www.worldwidebrands.com</a>

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks,
                Affiliate Manager
                Worldwide Brands, Inc.
                www.WorldwideBrands.com

You say that you have the bottom line and factual answer. But I just wanted to note that it varies among affilate programs and if link cloaking is allowed in your affiliate program then if you can make an extra 5% or 10% by doing it then why not.

Long winded enough

Comment

Originally posted by stakeho
                  The term link cloaker has negative connotations- sound illegal doesn't it, but all its usually doing is preventing your visitors from knowing your getting money from the link so that they trust your recommendation more.

P.s sorry about the slight bump but I felt that needed to be said as original question hadn't really been answered.
                  This was edited in after seeing your post, changing the intro a bit>>>
                  Please re-read my original post. I stated that many networks actually offer this option with their generators, and concluded that it was not much of an issue nowadays whether to implement the practice or not.
                  I am, however intrigued that this one example actually promises to pay greater commissions if in fact you do mask provided links. Why then do they not provide you with the means to do so? Nonetheless, I would strongly suggest you not use a foreign script, as their own "testing" recommendations hints at inherent difficulties.... <<<
                  PS: Here's a link that describes how to deal with your links (this is post #2, but see #4 also)

Hiding, or "masking" links themselves to reinforce credibility or posture with you "customers" is beyond reasonable thinking. Any credibility or prestige you develop is a direct result of your efforts, and the uniqueness you bring to bear to effect this.

Creating appropriate Content, and weaving textual links into that compelling content demonstrates much to your visitors. It also is proof that communicates worthiness for further investigation (click-throughs, drilling in, etc.).

Tight, attractive organization of visual links is also very communicative to customers that thoughtful design and cognizance are behind the site, and it is not just a cookie-cutter, internet-clutter, money-grabbing website like the countless thousands out there. If presented well, your website will be distinctive and offer conversion as a natural conclusion (directed or not!).

There are far too many nuances with regard to pure marketing elements that have a direct influence on Affiliate Marketing websites that go under implemented or overlooked completely that supercede the myopic focus on tweaking a technological function that has proven to be insignificant in comparison.

Visitors will click through if:
                  1. They believe in you, or your "message"
                  2. They can do so easily, with a sense of self-direction (don't "corral," or "funnel"/herd them)
                  3. You present valid, recognizable "opportunities" (Brand names, prices, stores, etc.)
                  4. By appearance (construct) your site implies security or benevolance (i.e. SSL cert if needed, associative accountability, etc.)
                  5. You provide a means of recourse prior to engagement (clear Contact, Privacy Policy, even customer testemonials or comments)

And....once they click through, it's all about getting them to make conversion. Keeping the above simple, clean, and "normal" will keep your visitors in a happier, more confident mood - and that's a whole lot better than delivering an annoyed or suspicious customer who noticed lag times or quirks in their browser!

In My Opinion, of course!

* "Long-Winded"? I seem to be the only one who tries to provide my VodaPeers with the understanding I believe they deserve to apply to their quest for online success. Is it working? Methinks not as well as it used to...... >>Joke, yes, but rather unfortunately true also..

Comment

WorldWideBrands.com is not a bona-fide affiliate network.....they are selling their "sourcing guides" and website/internet setups to individuals (they pitch Yahoo! stores, and steer you to "stock" your store with products from their list of pre-arranged suppliers). For example, the only difference between WWB and SMC (the company Tom Bosley pitches for on late night infomercials) is WWB points you and SMC performs for you.

Real Affiliate Networks, as you echoed my earlier mention Commission Junction, LinkShare, BeFree, ShareASale, etc., all work with established Brands and stores who are already pre-marketing for you and merely act as a transactional tracking service......

Make your decisions wisely. Plan your online progress confidently.

BTW:
                    You say that you have the bottom line and factual answer. Not an accurate quote.
                    But I just wanted to note that it varies among affilate programs and if link cloaking is allowed in your affiliate program then if you can make an extra 5% or 10% by doing it then why not. Prove it to me that this is the case, with ANY Affiliate Program....WWB never mentions this!

Comment

I'll have to reply in badly formatted text as I have much to deal with. Vasili in italics.

I am, however intrigued that this one example actually promises to pay greater commissions if in fact you do mask provided links. Why then do they not provide you with the means to do so? Nonetheless, I would strongly suggest you not use a foreign script, as their own "testing" recommendations hints at inherent difficulties.... <<<

Pay greater commssisons? Where did they say that. And as I stated in my first post I actually had worse results - though with my traffic levels its impossible to see the causation. Inherrent difficulties, well perhaps but I think they were just looking out for me who obviously is a complete idiot at scripts/codes etc. More of a sign of a good affiliiate program I'd say.

Hiding, or "masking" links themselves to reinforce credibility or posture with you "customers" is beyond reasonable thinking. Any credibility or prestige you develop is a direct result of your efforts, and the uniqueness you bring to bear to effect this.

Ahh I thought you might say that. This is really a value judgment, there are no right answers but I'll give you my opinion.
                      I'm on the internet to make money. If I believe that I can make more money short term but usually long term as well by very very slightly misleading my visitors then I might do it. Provided I don't actually cause them any financial harm as I really believe in the programs I promote and believe they offer good value for my visitors.

With some sites especially long term content driven ones there is more money to be made by attracting loyal trusting visitors who come back because they value your impartial information. If I had a site like this then I behave differently but I don't and the original person asking this question might not.

WorldWideBrands.com is not a bona-fide affiliate network.....they are selling their "sourcing guides" and website/internet setups to individuals (they pitch Yahoo! stores, and steer you to "stock" your store with products from their list of pre-arranged suppliers). For example, the only difference between WWB and SMC (the company Tom Bosley pitches for on late night infomercials) is WWB points you and SMC performs for you.

I know their not an affiliiate network I don't think I ever said they were (*double checks*) I'm not here to debate the pros or cons of this program and I don't know who Tom Bosley is I'm not an American, I just used them as an example because my first post in this thread was about how I link cloaked their link.

You say that you have the bottom line and factual answer. Not an accurate quote.
                      But I just wanted to note that it varies among affilate programs and if link cloaking is allowed in your affiliate program then if you can make an extra 5% or 10% by doing it then why not. Prove it to me that this is the case, with ANY Affiliate Program....WWB never mentions this!

Your right I paraphrased you maybe misleadingly but I did it knowingly and with caution and decided that I could put those two quotes together without taking it out of context imo anyway.
                      I can't prove it as I said it didn't work for me. WWB doesn't mention it obviouusly otherwise I wouldn't have had to email them in the first place to get the cloaking info. I have heard of some people getting results on forums heres one link http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...ate+link+cloak

I'm getting in to these long winded posts that was a good 15 mins work.

Comment

Originally posted by stakeho
                        You say that you have the bottom line and factual answer. But I just wanted to note that it varies among affilate programs and if link cloaking is allowed in your affiliate program then if you can make an extra 5% or 10% by doing it then why not.

Long winded enough
                        I really am on the cusp of begging off from VodaTalk, and really never quite appreciate getting snagged in "debates" that are essentially simply a difference of opinion and obviously no meaningful contribution to the Community as a whole. However, your contentions are met with your quote above (about earning greater commissions masking links, and the other, lesser, faux paux).

As I said earlier, it doesn't matter to me what you do at all (you are free to choose your own course), but I will restate my 'position' with regard for the remainder of my VodaPeers:
                        Masking or "cloaking" Affiliate Links is not necessary and potentially problematic on many levels for you as a Publisher and to the Terms and Agreements to which you may have unwittingly subscribed. And, in this vein, prudence and prior experiences compel me to caution strongly against using foreign scripts or technologies to effect such devices.
                        Earlier posts both suggest and highlight some of the elements of a successful Affiliate Program, and in my opinion, are worthy for your careful consideration as you design and manage your online success.

I would also offer my hopeful Affiliate-bound VodaPeers a tidbit of advice, one that will undoubtedly prove useful throughout your business and online developments: Honesty and simplicity are the best policies to maintain, and despite the incredible temptations to rest in gray areas, serve your patrons well (who eventually see everything anyway). Such ethics are the foundation of respect and prestige, the forebearers of success.

Comment

I mostly agree with what you say. But as I said in previous post there is no reason to avoid cloaking except if its against the affiliate programs policy, not financially effective or on moral grounds.

There are cases to be made for doing it if your site satisfies the first 2 and the 3rd is a value judgement that one cannot state is fact.

Comment

Hmmmmmmmm . . . . when my sons used to agrue like this I would make them kiss & hug . . . .

Comment

I know exactly what you mean, but for me there never was any argument (as you can see how many times I begged off)!

The real issue Stakeho posed was that he made erroneous referrals, provided poor examples, and tried to defend himself when he got caught behind a ruse of semantics.....all losing strategies!

PS: The reason this thread remains is to illustrate the concepts (both on and below the surface) to allow all the benefit of perspective, and to learn about another aspect of Affiliate Marketing. Certainly, it demonstrated that this was an exercise of perspective, no doubt!

Comment

Working...
                              X