hypothetically speaking -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hypothetically speaking -

If I owned a newspaper in a small town (5000), and decieded to offer my paper online for viewing - whats a good software to accomplish that.

Re: hypothetically speaking -

Kate, I honestly wouldn't have a clue, but thats how I would do it:

Have the index updated once or twice a day with forms.. then processed with php which is told to update the page.. The articles themselves will obviously be entered manually anyway, is, typed in article templates, so might just as well have each article in its own page.. that way you can have a lot of advertising and helps having a article search engine.

Another way:
    If you don;t want to have the formy thingy, you can have different portions of the index page in IFrames and update each linked IFrame page as updates become available.

Static content, ie, weather, horoscopes, racing results and the like, you can have them done rss feed updates.

For interviews with the bestest super star, you can always send your questions and I'll respond to them by email..lmao..

Comment

Carlos youre always front page news!...hehe..Ill let it be known your available for interviews...lol
      How does the NYT have an online newspaper or Im sure melborne has an online paper....how does one go from a downloadable pdf page to having an actual veiwable paper...there must be some kind of software.
      I read many different local to the towns area newpapers. Shoot I even can read our local paper here!..and there arent any people..just moose..lol..so if the moose can create an online paper, why cant I figure it out..lol
      just seems like it woud be so simple...

hmmm....'ASK CARLOS' section...ponder ponder.....................

Comment

Originally posted by kassi59
        Carlos youre always front page news!...hehe..Ill let it be known your available for interviews...lol
        How does the NYT have an online newspaper or Im sure melborne has an online paper....how does one go from a downloadable pdf page to having an actual veiwable paper...there must be some kind of software.
        I read many different local to the towns area newpapers. Shoot I even can read our local paper here!..and there arent any people..just moose..lol..so if the moose can create an online paper, why cant I figure it out..lol
        just seems like it woud be so simple...

hmmm....'ASK CARLOS' section...ponder ponder.....................
        Yes, why ofcourse.. Front page page material I am.. I can just imagine the headlines in your upcoming newspaper:

LOCAL NEWS:
        EZ-EZ PUSH FOR MORE BARS IN TOWN.
        CRIME:
        MAN ARRESTED FOR PEEING ON TRAIN TRACK.
        HEALTH:
        EZ-EZ SHOWS YOU HOW TO LOOSE 25 POUNDS BY TRIMMING YOUR NOSTRIL HAIR.
        SPORTS:
        GOLD MEDAL TO EZ-EZ IN THE MALL PEGION SHOOTING COMPETITION.
        HOROSCOPES: BROUGHT TO YOU BY EZ-EZ.. WATCH YOUR SPENDING TODAY, BILLS WILL COME AT YOU FROM EVERYWHERE, JUST LIKE YESTERDAY, AND IT WILL BE THE SAME TOMORROW.
        LIFE STYLE:
        EZ-EZ SHOWS YOU HOW TO MAKE A PORCHE OUT OF EGG SHELLS.
        CLASSIFIEDS & TRADES:
        HIRE A HUBBY, CALL 1800 EZEZ-EZEZ TODAY. SPECIAL RATES FOR LOCALS.

Doing some research for ya.. will let you know about any newspaper software if I find any.

Comment

Well, looks to me that I could make millions with just using you!.....
          Whats your email addy?.....lol

thanks for the quick look/see I do apreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by kassi59
            If I owned a newspaper in a small town (5000), and decieded to offer my paper online for viewing - whats a good software to accomplish that.
            How about PDF? Clickable pages or pull down menu to turn the pages.
            Bill
            www.blueearthtea.com
            www.ftaaconsulting.com
            www.iaval.com
            www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

I understand the pdf, but not the click pull downs...I dont want to have to download a pdf...I just want to go to the site and see the actual newpaper page...I guess I dont understand...can you explain?

Comment

Many newspapers have an interactive section where you see a PDF of the actual paper.

Put a link in your site to the page where users will open to a new window where you have already open the newspaper for them. This way they will not have to download Acrobat Reader. Like an image except not as big.

Look at this page: http://www.petrohp.com/newsletter/index.asp and open the newsletter. Is this what you want?
                Bill
                www.blueearthtea.com
                www.ftaaconsulting.com
                www.iaval.com
                www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

It would be very difficult to expect to have an image represent well online (which is what I believe kate is asking for, inasmuch there is so much confusion over PDF). Finding a scanner capable and getting actual good enough results from scanning would be more than normally expected.

As Bill suggests, given the "small town" aspect, posting a PDF page is probably the easiest, given the resources already available without having to "download" a PDF viewer as normal (and which may be a good thing given the previous formatting?).
                  . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                  * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

I word use word pressblog, get a custom template and break it down into categories.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                    02036089024 / United Kingdom
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

I guess what Im asking is what is the type software or set up that newspapers like the New York Times and smaller online newspapers use to produce their on going regular print papers.

Bill - no thats not what I mean, this is more to what Im looking for:
                      newspaper
                      Not just that style, just trying to figure out how papers like that and NYT does it.
                      Thank you all for your help with my quandry!

Comment

You will need a type of CMS like Joomla for this.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                        02036089024 / United Kingdom
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thanks! Im having a look at it now!

Comment

Working...
                          X