Database Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Database Setup

I am trying to install phpbb on my site. I have finally been successful in uploading the phpbb file to the forum directory I created in cpanel. I have read every post on this site and on the phpbb site trying to determine how to go through the install process. I assume I need to go to "My Sql" in cpanel and set up a database (which I attempted to do). When I access the "Welcome to phpbb 2 Installation" page and it is asking for Database config and Admin config info. Can someone guide me through this mess? Or tell me where to go to find the info I need? Thank you.

Stooop

STOP
    Do NOT try to install phpBB form scratch

In your control panel click on fantastico. thats the big blue smily
    face at the bottom of the page.

Here you will find phpBB already installed on your account. Just
    add a username, password and directory to config it and its ready
    to go.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thank you... thank you... thank you.

I saw the programs associated with the fantastico icon, but I thought those were links to the different sites to obtain the software. As a newbie, I sat for hours trying to install from scratch. I have used the link as you suggested, but now when I access my site online, the phpbb forum appears instead of the index page I created (or am working on). How do I change the path so that the phpbb forum will appear on a page that I select? Thank you again for your help. It is very much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Patti Johnson
        I saw the programs associated with the fantastico icon, but I thought those were links to the different sites to obtain the software. As a newbie, I sat for hours trying to install from scratch. I have used the link as you suggested, but now when I access my site online, the phpbb forum appears instead of the index page I created (or am working on). How do I change the path so that the phpbb forum will appear on a page that I select? Thank you again for your help. It is very much appreciated.
        When you install phpBB, you are asked to specify a directory in which your forums will be placed. This directory should not exist, and you don't need to create it, that will be done during the install. Some people name their directory Forums or Message Board, but you can call it anything you want.

It sounds like you accidentally installed directly into your public_html directory. If that's the case, simply uninstall (using Fantastico to do so), and then reinstall taking care to name your directory correctly when the time comes to do so. Once finished, you'll be able to go to http://yoursite.com/forum (or whatever you named the directory) to view your forum.

Good luck.
        My NASCAR Forum

Comment

racefan is correct, for example...you will see that this forum is on the directory
          vodatalk...if you totally messed things up. please open a support ticket.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          1-302-283-3777 North America / International
          02036089024 / United Kingdom
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

phpbb

I can certainly uninstall and reinstall phpbb, but I have already gone through the process of setting up categories and different forums in each. Is it possible to set up a directory now and "move" the existing forum into that directory to free up my index page? Thanks again for the support.

Originally posted by VodaHost
            racefan is correct, for example...you will see that this forum is on the directory
            vodatalk...if you totally messed things up. please open a support ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by Patti Johnson
              I can certainly uninstall and reinstall phpbb, but I have already gone through the process of setting up categories and different forums in each. Is it possible to set up a directory now and "move" the existing forum into that directory to free up my index page? Thanks again for the support.
              Patti, Please don't try this until someone much smarter than me shows up and says it should work, but it seems to me you could ftp the primary files of your forum onto your pc, then uninstall and reinstall the forum software into a new directory, and ftp the files into that new directory. You would probably also need to do a database backup to use to overwrite the new installation, especially if you've added any mods to your forum. (You could also try asking about this at the phpBB forums if you don't get a solid answer here.)

There may be an easier way, but I'm not sure that just moving the files to a new directory will work.
              My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Working...
              X