"Side Effects" of adding video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Side Effects" of adding video

Today I discovered two ways to add video to my new BV-based site, www.jhwm.net:

1) I have HTML code for most of the videos I've shot. I copied the code for one of them, went to my press_room.bvp page, clicked the HTML button and pasted the code into the HTML box. The video plays on my Press Room page but with it came a bunch of garbled text (might be some of the video's code?) at the top of the page. Any way I can get rid of that text?

2) Next, on my resources.bvp page, I clicked the "Media" button, double-clicked the resulting box, and browsed my hard drive for the video I wanted to add to the page. The video works, but since adding it to this page the nav buttons on ALL my pages sometimes don't change color like they should when I mouse over them. Suggestions? FYI this video file is only about 4.8MB.

Are there certain pros and cons to each of these methods of adding video?

Thanks. BTW this is the second problem I've had with nav buttons. All of them have sound files attached to them but the sound never plays when I mouse-over the buttons (although other people who go to my site have said they hear the sound).

Re: "Side Effects" of adding video

Two additional questions on this subject:

3) After visiting the Resources page on my site, my browser tells me that Javascript has been disabled. I get the message when I go from my site back to my AT&T Yahoo home page, which I guess requires Javascript to run.

4) In a similar vein, I got this message today from a friend who had just visited my site: "Each time I go to a new page, I must click a box that comes up in the middle of the page that says 'click to run an ActiveX control on this webpage.' Is there a problem at my end?"

Comment

1. The code that appears seems to be a forgoten piece of code of a form processing script. F1nd it in your page code and delete it. Probably it is in the Inside Body part of your page code.
      2. I visites the resources page. The video works, and your menubar buttons work ok for me. They do change appearance on mouse over.
      3. Ca't answer about that
      4. Also for me. It even crashes my IE sometimes (it ALWAYS crashes in the Pressroom page). In Firefox i have no problem. Probably one of the scripts in your page, or the button mouse over sound command.
      Navaldesign
      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

OK, good stuff: I got that slug of code-text off the top of the Press Room page by clearing out the Inside Body tab in View HTML. And I removed the mouse-over sound effects from ALL my pages, and re-published them all. Result: no more browser crashes or disabled Javascript (for me, anyway) and the nav buttons now change color even after I've played one or both videos.

A few other questions:
        5) Is there any reason NOT to use HTML code from a video-hosting provider to put video on my site, as I've done on the Press Room page?

6) If I use the Media button in BV to put video on a page, is there anything I can do to improve the quality (*****ness) of the footage? It looks a lot clearer when I view it from my PC's hard drive or from my video-editing software.

6) I've read that I need a site map to make my site more attractive to search engines. Is there a tool in BV that will help me create a site map?

Comment

5. No reason.
          6. Files are files. The media player on your page plays the same file. Aso, having seen both of your videos, i thing the quality is very good.
          7. No. You can use one of the many sitemappers available on the net, or even ROR. However, i always suggest the creation of a manual sitemap first, and then have ROR create a xml sitemap to help SE find all your links. The manual sitemap, if properly linked from homepage, will lead SE to discover all of your pages.
          Navaldesign
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thanks very much. I just don't know what ROR is (or where on the web it is, if applicable). Please explain.

Comment

Read this thread. create the manual sitemap. then use the online version of ror.
              Navaldesign

Comment

I used sitema***al.com to generate site map code and uploaded it to my BlueFTP server as a .xml file. Then I created a Google Web Masters account and used it to submit the URL of the file.

What I'm wondering now is, do I need a "Site Map" page on my web site to further improve my SE rank, or is that unlikely to help it? If I do need it, any tips you can offer re how to create or structure it?

BTW, I still don't know what ROR stands for, or what you mean by manual vs. online versions of it. Thanks!

Comment

I meant that you should manually create a sitemap as in here. Then, ROR is a xml sitemapper, byt if you have alraedy created one you don't need it. ROR has a downloadable sitemapper, but you can also use their online sitemapper. Read abour ROR here
                  Navaldesign

Comment

Working...
                  X