Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CPanel Question about addon domain ....??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPanel Question about addon domain ....??

Hopefully someone can help me here with this -- because I'm totally lost.

I'm trying to add on a domain as I was told, I had a domain "redirected" to the vodahost servers from register.com (went in through the control panel there and pointed the dns numbers to this domain here) -- so I need to have bv see that this domain is what I want to use now.

I can log INTO my CPanel just fine, then I click on "Addon Domains" to go into and ADD my domain name... www.haydell.com ......

The first question .... "addon Domain Name" is just fine, it's obviously www.haydell.com

the SECOND AND THIRD QUESTIONS I do not understand, it's asking me on the SECOND question for my "subdomain name" and other things, then the THIRD question it's asking me for another password??

What's even worse is below, there's drop down boxes asking me questions about redirecting that domain, or DELETING that domain -- I want to do NEITHER because it's already REDIRECTED and I sure don't want to delete it??

Anyone help me with what I need to do here??

Thanks --
    Katie

Re: CPanel Question about addon domain ....??

Katie.....this really isn't a difficult thing if you have watched the Tutorial once or twice, despite the pressure from your Boss to do his bidding! LOL

Take another peek, and I am sure you will understand the process clearly!
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Ok, I'll watch again -- I did this about 3 times already, but it says nothing about the questions I listed above ...?? I'll try again.

Thanks,
      Katie

Ok, I watched it .... someone ELSE pointed me to ADD ON the domain, not to add some "subdomain" - this wasn't the tutorial I watched, I watched the one on ADDING a domain. What I want to do is ADD a domain, if you read my other post, or person that posted there -- here's a copy and paste of what someone told me to do -- so what you're saying is that I need to add a subdomain???? not add a domain?? Here's what the LAST person told me to do .... that's why I was going into the ADDON DOMAIN .... not subdomain ..... what is it that I should do here .....

Katie:

1)...Now that you have pointed www.haydell.com to vodahost
      you need to go into your Cpanel(see your welcome letter)
      and add the above as an ADDON domain.
      ...Wait for up to 24 hrs and then you should be able to publish your first(index) page.

2)...Ignore your 1st account name for the moment. The www.haydell.com will be a standalone website to which you can publish any page you wish as long as you first publish an index page (index in small letters)

3)...Any of the saved pages which you published to
      www.advanced-equipment.com
      can be re-published to www.haydell.com
      .................................................. ........................................

An alternative is put in a support ticket and ask vodahost to reset your main account domain name to www.haydell.com

You will still have to re-publish everything to the above...............

good luck

Comment

So it really wasn't that I was doing my boss's "bidding" or that I was being stupid, all I was doing was following another person's advice on where to go and was in a different spot trying to add a domain as that person told me -- so if you can just point me in the RIGHT direction on where I need to be, that would be great and I can do it just fine, apparently I was in a completely other area on this. But honestly, I haven't spoken to my boss regarding this website in over two weeks, he barely knows what I'm doing with it, this is all by myself on this one -- I'm sorry if I seem stupid to you, I am really not, like I said, I might have been in a different area, and would LOVE to be in the RIGHT area if I could, but now I'm worried that I'm doing the wrong thing here??

Thanks - for your "message"
        Katie

Comment

Ok….here we go!
          (Finally....I have a new laptop, and I got "downed" 3x trying to reply. I finally composed in Word and pasted quick for you --- only an hour later! Sorry!)

In understand your frustration completely, and there is still quite a lot of confusion about the differences between an Add-On Domain and a Sub-Domain. We will clear this up, and get your situation straightened out lickety-split!

An “Add-On Domain” is a domain that is 'equal' to your Primary domain, residing in the same account, and must also be hosted here at Vodahost. Since your Primary domain is “equipment” and you had to shift gears and publish "haydell," it is still easier to clean it up here at VH and go on.

Now that you finally have verified that the DNS has been properly set at register for haydell to “point to” VH servers, we need to let them find something to present. Just let haydell stay at register.com….it’s no big deal.

During all the time you were waiting for access and doing DNS you inadvertently created an Add-On in your Primary cPanel….we need to create a sub instead. Go into your Primary (equipment) cPanel, click on Add-On Domains, and you will see haydell…..now simply go through the steps to remove it. Once you have removed in (still in cP) click on Add Sub-Domain….and got through the steps to add a sub-domain “haydell.com” properly.

Now….think of your Primary Account (equipment) as a big “Folder” and when you open it, you open it to the interior “public_html” area…..we need to insert another Folder into this folder (a folder within a folder) which we will call “haydell.com” so that all the files we create for haydell will be properly “contained” and protected. We can still file things in the Primary folder, but they can’t get mixed up with haydell since they are separated, right?

>> These “folders” are actually DIRECTORIES……each domain needs it’s own directory, and each directory needs it’s own “index”….start to see the concept?

Now that we have haydell properly set up as a sub-directory of equipment, you will need to populate haydell’s directory with the content you’ve already created….let the DNS changes point to an index page and find it in a properly named directory.
          (If you would like to see what an empty directory looks like before you put anything in it, visit haydell.com now and you’ll see the root directory file tree but no web page…..because you published it in the public_html directory of equipment!)

So, in BV, use PUBLISH and enter these new entries on the last line of the dialog box: public_html/haydell

Now we have to “clean up” equipment’s public_html/ directory which has earlier haydell pages in it so later on no conflict arises….
          In BV (you must have at least 1 page open) under TOOLS, click on FTP and then CONNECT…..you should then see active your Primary Account on the right hand side, and clearly see the folder (directory) for your new sub-domain haydell……and you will see the public_html/ root directory and all the “loose” BV pages we are now one-by-one going to click once on and delete. When you are done, you will have removed all .bvp pages in the equipment public_html/ root directory ONLY, and to confirm this double-click on the sub-domain haydell folder to see the new .bvp pages all intact!

Hopefully, you can now see the real relationship between Add-On domains and Sub-Domains, have a solid understanding of Directories (which will come in handy later when you add other features and technologies), and have a clean familiarity with Blue FTP (which should NEVER be used to Publish web pages, right?)

Before you remove the earlier inadvertent add-on, do the tutorial. Same with add a sub-domain. And…it wouldn’t hurt one bit to view one prior to using FTP.

and on you go!

Comment

I noticed another thread in "Domains" that seems to have answered the same question...... It this thread still "active" or were my answers pointless??

Comment

No and yes
              Have fun
              Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
              Newbies / Beginners Forum
              FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
              My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
              Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Originally posted by davidundalicia
                No and yes
                Gee, thanks Dave!

(makes me feel special indeed!)

Comment

thats because YOU ARE special Eric..............
                  Have fun
                  Regards..... David

Comment

No, your answers weren't pointless .... by the time you had replied, I had opened a ticket to have them change my main domain name to what I needed it at, saved problems and misunderstandings down the line and much easier to just do from this point .... I got your post and thank you for answering - I appreciate it.

KatieC

Comment

A valueable lesson to be learnt from this thread, is that, if at first you do not get the answer that you were looking for, or do not understand the answer,
                      PLEASE, PLease, do not open another thread on the same question.

Post again in the same thread AND say outright that you do not understand.

We all had to start somewhere, so we will not be surprised, and then we can rephrase the answer.
                      Or someone else will chip in with a different slant that will solve the problem.

have fun
                      Have fun
                      Regards..... David

Comment

thread closed

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                        02036089024 / United Kingdom
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Working...
                        X