Making quick global changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making quick global changes

Its important to spend the time to design the layout of your webpages on paper before doing the work in Blue Voda. Then when you have finally decided on "the look" you want, you build it in BV and name the page something like "template" or "master".

Then you "save as" your template or master page as the real pages that you need; index, products, services, contact us, etc. Then you add the specific content to each page.

Great; but now you have finished, lets say 10 pages and you decide to make a change to your "template" or "master" page that you want reflected on all the real pages that you have just created - lots of work!!!

But there is a simple way to save some time. If you simply have added something to the template or master page, then "lock" the item, then copy it with the copy icon on the standard toolbar (not the copy command in the menu bar), and then paste the item using the paste icon in the standard toolbar (not the paste command in the menu bar), then the item will be placed on the page that you are in at the exact same place as it is located on the template or master page!!!! If you use the copy or paste from the menu bar it will be placed in a different place and you will have to manualy try to move it exactly.

This works even better if you select a group of locked items, so you can move a group of graphics or text, etc.

Not sure if this trick is well know, but sure has saved me a bunch of time!

Adrian
    Adrian
    A-B Technology Group

Re: Making quick global changes

Originally posted by adrianbrookes
    Its important to spend the time to design the layout of your webpages on paper before doing the work in Blue Voda. Then when you have finally decided on "the look" you want, you build it in BV and name the page something like "template" or "master".

Then you "save as" your template or master page as the real pages that you need; index, products, services, contact us, etc. Then you add the specific content to each page.

Great; but now you have finished, lets say 10 pages and you decide to make a change to your "template" or "master" page that you want reflected on all the real pages that you have just created - lots of work!!!

But there is a simple way to save some time. If you simply have added something to the template or master page, then "lock" the item, then copy it with the copy icon on the standard toolbar (not the copy command in the menu bar), and then paste the item using the paste icon in the standard toolbar (not the paste command in the menu bar), then the item will be placed on the page that you are in at the exact same place as it is located on the template or master page!!!! If you use the copy or paste from the menu bar it will be placed in a different place and you will have to manualy try to move it exactly.

This works even better if you select a group of locked items, so you can move a group of graphics or text, etc.

Adrian
    Nice one!!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Originally posted by adrianbrookes
      Adrian
      Good Post, Adrian!
      As General Amanda beat me to acknowledging your contribution, I can let you know that your tip probably isn't that well known in VodaLand yet, but has already been pointed out as a very important step in developing one of our more favorite tools, the "iFrame."

Since the release of BV8 which includes many new features earlier versions did not have, General Naval has been extremely gracious to provide many detailed (and air-tight) 'Tutorials' for us to use, and was the first mention of not only the characteristics of this oft neglected "tool" but how it is actually demanded in certain applications.
      (You can view General Naval's invaluable iFrame Tutorial HERE)

It is good to see others discover the many "hidden" features of Blue Voda, and better to see such wonderful contributions offered to our VodaCommunity as was yours!
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Oh Wow, this excites me really .... I hope I can master this one, I am always in need of changing my template, or master page, a bit as the year progresses .....

This is awesome .....

have about 25 pages right now that I need to do this to ....

EXCELLENTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

I've been doing this since I first started my website - I created a Master and any time I had changes, I would use it as an overlay for my other pages. But, I didn't "lock" before I copied and pasted. So I usually had to spend time lining every thing up and resetting the page width each time. I was wondering why it didn't just land where I pasted it. Now I know. So, many thanks for that trick. I'm continually changing & expanding my site, so this is a very valuable feature for me.

Ellielou
          www.threadhut.com

Comment

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! WhenI think of all the time I could have saved had I known this trick!

Thanks a bunch!
            Affordable Medical Insurance
            Discount Dental Plan
            Washington State Health Insurance
            Temporary Health Insurance
            Homeowner Insurance Quote

Comment

It's what I use also - as I don't use i-frames - but the copy paste works great for me - am adding some pages to one of my websites today - can make all the changes quickly - longest time is in publishing each page. But do that while doing other things and it gets done :)
              Beth
              A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
              SEO - The Basics

Comment

ya would be nice if u could publish all open pages at the same time. Would love to click it and walk away. come back when i hear the badonky donk.

Comment

It makes perfect sense to keep all the minute details of each coded web page with the highest integrity during the process of transferring and publishing, doesn't it?

The time you save using Blue Voda to create the awesome results available is certainly worth swapping for the assurance of precise results, don't you think?
                  . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                  * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
                  X