PDA

View Full Version : Can Soholaunch work within Bluevoda?

annruel1
09-29-2006, 04:07 AM
Can you use soholauch to set up a ecommerce page within a bluevoda designed site? I read you have to reset site first to load soholaunch but if you do can you still work with Bluevode designed pages on the site after republishing them

VodaHost
09-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Yes, you can use BlueVoda to build the frontend of your website and have Soho as your backend eStore.

JessicaLauren
10-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Hi,

I've been reading many of the posts trying to figure out how can I incorporate soholaunch as the backend to my website built using bluevoda...but I have not been able to find any clear answers to this question. Can somebody tell me step by step how I can use soholaunch as the backend for my bluevoda site? Do I publish my site with bluevoda first and then upload soholaunch somewhere in fantastico? Or do I first upload soholaunch in fantastico? Do I need to create a subdomain for soholaunch to upload? I'm so confused! Help!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jessica

lincoln
01-28-2007, 08:26 PM
I am now doing this connection where main domain is blue voda and 2nd domain is soho like what were termed here as blue voda as fronend and soho as backend.The problem is as advised by the technical support that I need to have the factory set up in my URL and I am waiting for the set up.We donot know many technical terms used, and its implication in the system to set up.

I experienced that without this so called reset up of our accounts, site 2 or what ever names and directory path be called where soho will be installed, will never show up. It can not be installed either. Please note that each account can only be installed with one soho script.It is not like those other script in c/panel and which can be installed by ourself using fantastico at any instance and number of time.

Without this reset up by the voda host company, soho cannot be installed and each time you click for site 2 or any other name it be, our first domain appear and display.I donot know If what I have said here is right, but this is what I incline to think so.

I was made to understand that we have to create public_html/site2 in c/panel.And I have created that but I have not had soho installed yet at this time I am writting. I will tell you more soon I shall have made this through.

lincoln
www.xuankong-liufa.com (http://www.xuankong-liufa.com)

VodaHost
01-29-2007, 06:36 AM
Hi,

I've been reading many of the posts trying to figure out how can I incorporate soholaunch as the backend to my website built using bluevoda...but I have not been able to find any clear answers to this question. Can somebody tell me step by step how I can use soholaunch as the backend for my bluevoda site? Do I publish my site with bluevoda first and then upload soholaunch somewhere in fantastico? Or do I first upload soholaunch in fantastico? Do I need to create a subdomain for soholaunch to upload? I'm so confused! Help!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jessica

1) Watch all the Soholaunch tutorial and make sure that you have a clear understanding of how it works.
2) Do not install soho on your main domains directory, install it on another directory called /store or /shop or something like that.
3) Plublish your BlueVVoda website as normal to your main directory. Whenever you need anything for soho, just provide a link to that particular page.

Pjtasche
02-27-2007, 07:35 PM
Hi!
I currently have my site, www.oldenburgandcompany.com (http://www.oldenburgandcompany.com) designed in BV. It's published already. I want to do a shopping cart with the SohoLaunch. I see above that you said I could have my site with BV and then when I need something from Soho that I could provide a link to my SohoLaunch page for ordering. You stated that I should not install soho on my main domains directory, install it on another directory called /store or /shop or something like that. When downloading SohoLaunch, there is no place for me to pick where I want it installed. Am I missing something? Please help? I was one of some people who didn't understand that they were two different things otherwise I would have started with Soho right from the start.
Thanks,
Pam

Karen Mac
02-27-2007, 09:30 PM
Pam,

Are you using fantastico to install soho? Or downloading it and doing a manual install?

I believe, that first you go to cpanel and create the directory or domain that you want to install soho on, either as a sub or addon. I think an addon would be better, so you could give it its own domain etc.

Then when u click to install the soho, you tell it which folder to send it to, i think theres a browse option there too.. cant remember. I just do it auto and dont think about it.

On another note, you could make an addon domain, and install soho and then rebuild your storefront there as well, just copy and paste your text into the text editor etc etc. You would have to move your images etc to the soholoaunch image folder but that wouldnt be hard to do from control panel either. Since the BV pages are also on your hard drive you could reset and install soho in your main domain and then copy the text etc back up to soho.

Karen

Pjtasche
03-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Hi Karen!
Thanks for your help. Would you mind helping a bit more? I'm able to go to the cpanel and click on add on domain, but this is a bit confusing: New Domain Name:Username/directory/subdomain Name:Password:

My website is published now at www.oldenburgandcompany.com (http://www.oldenburgandcompany.com)
A new domain name? Do I need to buy another domain name for this to work? and the above Username/directory/subdomain name:...
I'm not supposed to install it on the main public directory, right? And do I go into my FTP site and add another folder for the subdomain name? Sorry about all the questions. I thank you so much in advance for being willing to help me!
Smiles,
Pam

Karen Mac
03-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Yes, for an addon domain you will need a new domain name.
Follow the steps in the cpanel for the addon domain, it creates the folder for you! No ftp there.

Then you would install soho into that public html folder in the NEW domain name and then you would figure out what you want your passwords to soho etc to be. You dont want to install it in just the public html as that would over write what you have as the main domain.

You dont need to ftp anything to do this if you use fantastico to install soho to the new domain, just tell it in the drop down where you want it installed to, and make sure its the SINGLE version of your domain and not the newdomain/maindomain one

Karen

Pjtasche
03-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Thanks, Karen! I'll try that. Your patience and support is invaluable!
Smiles,
Pam

mardan
03-17-2007, 03:06 PM
Hello this is mardan .. well i m confused i dont know where the hell to go ... i never introduced myslef here before bcoz .. i was working well. i did'nt need any help or anything ,but now i m stucked ... and i have no idea wht to do with this PHP thing .. i dont know nothing abt computer .. i always use it just to check my e-mails and i know how t0 read the news paper on it ... and thats about it .. i heared sumthin abt voda and i thought i shoud check it out by myslef if its really as easy as it looks like then i have sumthin better to do ... well i got into it .. and i learned how to deal with links .. hyperlinks .. text , images and etc ... and now i know how to work with these guyz .. but once i get to the PHP thing i get hopeless .. i just dont get it .. all i wanna know Is that possible to make another page that connects me to the other page where i can put some more details about whtever i m doin..

Karen Mac
03-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Mardan,

Yes.. You can do that and do whats called a hyperlink to the other page! You can even do this in soho only difference is your link will go to a page with a .php extension instead of an .html.

Karen

Bethers
03-17-2007, 08:02 PM
I'm just reading this - and I don't think Pam wants to have 2 domain names for her site. I think she meant to install Soho to have it be a sub of the original domain - which can be done -

I might be wrong though - wouldn't be the first time.

Karen Mac
03-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Beth

Ya she could make a folder in the main domain and install it there.. I didnt think about that because of the other threads intermixed in and the mention of SUB domain.

That would still stretch out that url, ie: www.yourdomain.com/store/whaterver.php?pr=home (http://www.yourdomain.com/store/whaterver.php?pr=home)

Dunno Id want to do that either, unless he made all the category pages in bv as well.

Karen

Cherish13b
03-19-2007, 08:13 PM
I had some blue voda experience just playing with it before I tried this place to host my website and when I signed up I installed soho launch with the fantastico button. I think Soholaunch is a bit too much for me still being a novice (and thats being generous) to all of this I don't really even understand alot of the forum answers instructions for it. So My question is. If you have Soho installed with fantastico and find blue voda easier can you uninstall soho and move it and just use blue voda to make your site and use another kind of shopping cart. Step by step instructions please if possible I don't no a sub domain or add on or any of it thats said on here yet so where to find what to do I have no idea.

Karen Mac
03-20-2007, 01:51 AM
Cherish

Soholaunch is one of the easiest carts there is to use. You just have to do one step at a time. First, you need to start in the cart, add categories and add products, then you can optimize outer pages to link up to them etc etc.

Yes you can uninstall it, and use bv, and use cut and paste buttons from mals ecommerce, cartmanager or paypal. No matter what you build with you are going to have to learn it, and go thru the tutorials, which already give you a step by step if you go thru them.

You are asking someone to re-invent the wheel, when its all here for you to read and try! Then when u get stuck and ask a question, everyone is more willing to help, because you are trying!

Karen

Bethers
03-20-2007, 01:53 AM
But, I did exactly as you are saying and uninstalled Soho and built in BV and found a shopping cart I could add to BV pages. There are several. I use CartManager - you can find out about it here: www.moxie-enter-prises.com/cartmanager.html (http://www.moxie-enter-prises.com/cartmanager.html) Also you could use Mal's E - or you could simply use Paypal -

But, I have to agree with Karen, Soho is easy to use - it just wouldn't do all I wanted it to.

annruel1
03-22-2007, 11:34 AM
thanks 4 all the great advice!

Pjtasche
03-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Yes, Beth, that's right. I don't want to have 2 domain names. Is it possible to publish a shopping cart page only and then have my order page in BV directed to the published cart? I really would prefer to not re-do the whole site in Soho just to be able to use the shopping cart if I don't have to.
Pam

Pjtasche
03-30-2007, 06:18 PM
"1) Watch all the Soholaunch tutorial and make sure that you have a clear understanding of how it works.
2) Do not install soho on your main domains directory, install it on another directory called /store or /shop or something like that.
3) Plublish your BlueVVoda website as normal to your main directory. Whenever you need anything for soho, just provide a link to that particular page."

OK...I understand the above for me wanting to use BV for the front end and use Soho for the back end so I can have a shopping cart, which is what I want to do. My question is, where can I select to install soho on a different directory such as /store? Doing this would alleviate me having to rebuild everything in Soho and just using it for my shopping cart page, right? Also, I wouldn't have to buy another website name, right? This seems simple...I just can't quite wrap my head around the right way of going above doing the above. What's mentioned above is exactly what I want to do...BV for the front end and Soho for the back end shopping cart. Help again?
Thanks,
Pam

Karen Mac
03-30-2007, 06:23 PM
You would do this by creating a new folder in your current domain and name it STORE or Cart etc. You can use your file manager to do this in control panel and add a new folder, or you can do it in an ftp window. Then go to fantastico and it will ask you during the install which path to install it to and you would type in www.yourdomain.com/store (http://www.yourdomain.com/store)

Keep in mind the case of the letters and make it exact.

Karen

Pjtasche
03-30-2007, 06:41 PM
That's the problem. I go to fantastico to install the Soholaunch Pro Edition. It just highlights "New Installation" and doesn't give you a choice of where to download it. Am I dense here? I already did what you said to do above and that's to add a new folder. So that's done. But when you get to the install location, all it gives is the option for my domain www.oldenburgandcompany.com (http://www.oldenburgandcompany.com) I can't seem to choose www.oldenburgandcompany.com/store (http://www.oldenburgandcompany.com/store) Sorry to be such a pain about this. I need help...
Pam

Vasili
03-30-2007, 09:04 PM
The "highlight" you speak of is because you have to click on that link to actually install Soho, which will bring you to the installation page...

There is in fact a small box (step #2??) that you can "name" the destination for Soho to be installed in....if you enter "Our_Store" for example (remember to use an underscore instead of a space, or eliminate the spacing altoghether: OurStore), the installation will automatically create the "folder" (a directory, really) for you, thus keeping your BV site in the public_html primary directory as it should be, unaffected by your new store in the same account alongside it.

>> The need to create a sub-domain (a new directory, a "folder") which you do not need to buy another domain for to use, is because each "site," "store" or other utility each has an index page, and you can only have one per directory.....having them in separate directories stops the conflict.

A sub-directory and a properly installed Soho cart will need to be linked from your BV site, and if using the example above, a link to your cart would look like this: wwwYourPrimaryDomainName.com/OurStore/ (the link needs to be exactly as how the directory was named, with or without underscore)
You can then navigate back to your BV site wherever you choose in the regular fashion by inserting a text-link within your Soho cart, or by creating a Menu item and inserting a hyperlink there (this is done in the Webmaster pane of the Soho Control Panel).

proactivator
04-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Hi,
I'm confused (those that know me would say nothing unusual there then). I received an email from vodahost extolling the virtues of soho and providing a link to it. I downloaded it, using fantastico, without realising the implications of not installing on my one and only domain, jamesbartondesign.com. What is the the best way I should correct this situation? I only want to use soho to create a shopping cart. Would I be better off to delete soho and use paypal's cart? I am sure that the answers to my questions are in this thread, but remember, I am confused so please bear with me!

Pjtasche
04-02-2007, 04:04 PM
Vasili!
Can't tell you how grateful I am for the excellent instructions you provided! I am well on my way to finishing my shopping cart page that I can link to the BV pages that are already up. Whew! What a relief!
Thanks again!
Smiles,
Pam

Karen Mac
04-02-2007, 06:35 PM
Pro,

Yes.. uninstall soho and then use file manager to make a folder on your main domain, then reup and publish your bv site. Then, install soho as above to the FOLDER you created.

Karen

jimchicago
05-13-2007, 07:39 AM
My primary domain on Vodahost is jhwm.net. I also have a few subdomains, one of which is themarketingquiz.com (for now it's just a one-page site). I want to be able to sell items on themarketingquiz and possibly on jhwm also. Haven't installed Soho yet because I fear doing it wrong.

When I go into cpanel and click Fantastico, I see I can use it to install Soho to jhwm.net or to any of my subdomains . . . but each one is listed twice. Should I install Soho on "themarketingquiz.com" or on "themarketingquiz.jhwm.net"?

As for installing Soho to my primary (jhwm.net) domain in a "/store" folder, should it be a folder under "public_html" or on the same level as "public_html"? I first tried under, and then on the same level, but never saw "jhwm.net/store" in the drop-down list beside "Install on domain" as I had expected.

I'm sure one of you smart folks can enlighten me on all these questions.

Karen Mac
05-14-2007, 06:36 PM
It has to be IN the public html folder. You need to decide if it its going to be a stand alone domain or a subdomain of Whatever web site.

So if you had widgets.com and you wanted those to be bv intro pages, you would then need to make a SUB directory named WIDGETSTORE, or just STORE. You would then instruct soho to install inside that SUB domain.

Karen

jimchicago
05-21-2007, 07:33 AM
OK, thanks, Karen. I think I follow you but:

1) When you say 'decide if it's going to be a standalone domain or a subdomain,' are you referring to Soholaunch as "it"? If so, are there advantages to setting up Soho as a standalone or as a sub?

2) When you say 'if you wanted those to be bv intro pages'--what pages do you mean?

Thank you!

jimchicago
05-21-2007, 08:36 AM
Also: After I created a "store" folder inside my public_html folder, I still do not see "jhwm.net/store" as an option in the drop-down list beside "Install on domain". I have "jhwm.net" but I know that's not where I should install Soho. What to do?

Collectors-info
05-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Hi, I believe soho will only install into a root directory & has to be created IE:..

www.mysite.com this = a route directory (your normal site)
www.mydirectory.mysite.com this = a sub domain which = a root directory. (could be the store)

www.mydirectory.mysite.com/newfolder/ = a sub directory. (Cant be installed)
www.mysite.com/newfolder/ = sub directory/. (Cant be installed)

Hope I have this right for soho..

Good luck.

pristinelife
06-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Yes, for an addon domain you will need a new domain name.
Follow the steps in the cpanel for the addon domain, it creates the folder for you! No ftp there.

Then you would install soho into that public html folder in the NEW domain name and then you would figure out what you want your passwords to soho etc to be. You dont want to install it in just the public html as that would over write what you have as the main domain.

You dont need to ftp anything to do this if you use fantastico to install soho to the new domain, just tell it in the drop down where you want it installed to, and make sure its the SINGLE version of your domain and not the newdomain/maindomain one

Karen

Now I'm REALLY confused, as if I weren't already. Please explain the difference between NEW DOMAIN vs SUBDOMAIN and if I set up a NEW SUBDOMAIN NAME on my site, would I later be able to convert it to just a NEW DOMAIN at a future date. Thanks in advance.

Karen Mac
06-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Now I'm REALLY confused, as if I weren't already. Please explain the difference between NEW DOMAIN vs SUBDOMAIN and if I set up a NEW SUBDOMAIN NAME on my site, would I later be able to convert it to just a NEW DOMAIN at a future date. Thanks in advance.

The Term is the difference. And you can .com or .net and addon domain but a subdomain will always be www.subdomain.maindomain.com (http://www.subdomain.maindomain.com).

If you need more info do a search on google or wikipedia.com or the glossary or faq on voda host.

Karen

TheOneCalledNio
06-15-2007, 02:50 AM
My domain name is: thebestvacuumsiteever.com

I have my BlueVoda template page all designed and ready to be published, and I need to know how to upload it to work with SohoLaunch. What file format does it need to be in? Step-by-step instructions are needed badly.

Allow me to extrapolate.

I've designed a killer template in BlueVoda. What I really want is to take this template and upload it to the SohoLaunch template manager, but I have no idea how to do this, and the instructions on the SohoLaunch site are not of much assistance--nor are the tutorials. I don't know very much about publishing websites, so any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Karen Mac
06-15-2007, 08:15 AM
You can't is the simple answer. You need to design the killer template to work with soho and to do this you need to read up on customizing the template, in the manual, on the soho launch forum, and the soho wiki. Ive posted the links in half dozen threads here as well.

Karen

MGibson
07-17-2008, 01:08 PM
I think I've made a complete mess of things. I first created my web site using bluevoda. I thought that when I get soho I have to recreate the entire site, which I did. Now I have bv and soho on my computer. I'd like to keep my bv web site and somehow incorporate the shopping cart into it. How do I go about doing this? I'm at a complete loss now.

Michele
www.giftcorporation.net (http://www.giftcorporation.net)

Karen Mac
07-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Well then use an addon cart like Cart Manager.. available at a discount thru Bethers or use Mals Ecart which are both copy and paste buttons similar to paypal but allow you to use a credit card processor and merchant account.

Also.. if you use Authorize.net you can now make buttons thru them that processes directly thru them.. for up to 100 products.

Karen

Ron302
08-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Will I have any problems doing it this way????.....
I would like to build my main domain using BlueVoda as a Free visitors half of my site then use links to Soholaunch to a membership signup page and the Soholaunch would be pages for members only. So basicly it would be sorta like 2 different areas of my site.
Will this idea work before I go trying it and find out it don't????

Karen Mac
08-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Yes.. it can work like this.. no problem.. you can even do menu links on soho back to the main form. You just have to install soho on a subdomain..or addon domain.. they cant exist in the same folder.

Karen

Ron302
08-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Thanx so much Karen!!!

Karen Mac
08-04-2008, 07:18 PM
You are most welcome! Wish most of it was this easy..LOL

Karen

simplybrowne
09-03-2008, 09:28 AM
Can someone help with this. Is Soho suitable for the ecommerce end of an online ticketing website?

Karen Mac
09-03-2008, 03:18 PM
It depends what kind of ticketing. If Travel.. no.. theres too much involved and there is specific softwared developed for the travel industry.

If you are speaking outside the travel industry.. then maybe.

Karen

simplybrowne
09-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Hello,

Can one install soholaunch on a subdomain?

simplybrowne
09-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks. I just realized one can install Soho on either addon or subdomain.

simplybrowne
09-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Hi Karen, I wish to know if soho can be used to create an online community website such as facebook, etc. If no, which web builder can you recommend for such a site. Thanks.

Vasili
09-15-2008, 11:37 AM
Soholaunch does have a Community utility included.

You may wish to double-check on installing Soholaunch on add-on's and sub-domains.

Karen Mac
09-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Well Soho does have a sort of blog, but its not setup to house the kind of community you want.. nor is it within TOS to run an operation like myspace on standard hosting packages. Your best bet would be a forum, similar to this one that allows doctoring up of your profile.

Ive heard nothing to indicate that Soho WONT work on subdomains or addons. Long as they are a CLEAN directory, it should be fine.

Karne

riccii
10-05-2008, 10:25 PM
The "highlight" you speak of is because you have to click on that link to actually install Soho, which will bring you to the installation page...

There is in fact a small box (step #2??) that you can "name" the destination for Soho to be installed in....if you enter "Our_Store" for example (remember to use an underscore instead of a space, or eliminate the spacing altoghether: OurStore), the installation will automatically create the "folder" (a directory, really) for you, thus keeping your BV site in the public_html primary directory as it should be, unaffected by your new store in the same account alongside it.

>> The need to create a sub-domain (a new directory, a "folder") which you do not need to buy another domain for to use, is because each "site," "store" or other utility each has an index page, and you can only have one per directory.....having them in separate directories stops the conflict.

A sub-directory and a properly installed Soho cart will need to be linked from your BV site, and if using the example above, a link to your cart would look like this: wwwYourPrimaryDomainName.com/OurStore/ (the link needs to be exactly as how the directory was named, with or without underscore)
You can then navigate back to your BV site wherever you choose in the regular fashion by inserting a text-link within your Soho cart, or by creating a Menu item and inserting a hyperlink there (this is done in the Webmaster pane of the Soho Control Panel).

I just tried the above and when I try loggin in im told acces is denied why is that?

riccii

Karen Mac
10-06-2008, 12:17 AM
I dont know.. how about a link then maybe we could guess. could be your permissions are set incorrectly to it didnt install correctly or it wasnt a CLEAN directory or domain

Karen

riccii
10-07-2008, 05:52 PM
hi Karen

www.robinhoodmegastore.com (http://www.robinhoodmegastore.com)

riccii

Karen Mac
10-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Well i see where you have done some work on the site. Have you renamed or altered anything in the sohoadmin folder?, Changed permissions?

I really cant tell without logging in to your server what the issue is, and rather or not i could fix it. My guess is that you have overwritten or uploaded maybe something in the admin folder that you shouldnt have.

Ok.. I just realized what you linked to was your bv site... not the soho site. What i need is the link to your soho..so
www.sohosite.maindomain.com (http://www.sohosite.maindomain.com)

Karen

noahaiden
10-20-2008, 07:36 PM
I am so confused. I have a primary site that I have been using for awhile www.pmvideos****books.com (http://www.pmvideos****books.com). I just purchased another domain www.wendysdigitals****books.com (http://www.wendysdigitals****books.com) to redirect to my original site (I needed a new name but didn't want to go through the hassle of changing names.) I would like to use soholaunch but am at a complete loss as what I am suppose to be doing. I thought I was pretty computer savvy, but this has stumped me. I would like to just start from scratch and redo my entire website, but I don't know what I need to do. I have read all the posts, but I just can't get a grasp on any of it. I understand all the installation of it, it is the reseting of the directories and deleting files, etc. that are loosing me. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Karen Mac
10-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Ok... Your redirection has NOTHING to do with soholaunch or your use of it. So.. You bought a domain name to point to the old. You do that in cpanel or at your domain registrar.. either one works.

Now.. if the old site has something ELSE there you must delete it all.

What i suggest you do is DONT redirect the new name. Instead.. add it to your addon domains. Install soholaunch in that NEW domain. Build your store. When you are ready redirect the OLD domain to the new.

Karen

mumu
11-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Can I build my page with Blue Voda and use Soho for sending e-newsletters?

Karen Mac
11-26-2008, 08:17 PM
LOL.. you could, but you could also send newsletters from your desktop with OUTLOOK. You are wasting alot of program there just to send newsletter.

Karen

Madrid
12-13-2008, 06:30 PM
hi Karen!!!
i'm reading all the answers that you have in regards the front bluevoda and back soholaunch but my question is i all ready create my webpage in soholaunch can create some pages in bluevoda (like front ) and have the soholauch in back. and how can star doing it? i'm going to lost all the information that i all ready have in soholaunch?

Karen Mac
12-13-2008, 08:26 PM
If you are a novice i recommend you do not do this. The fact that you are asking tells me you have no idea. So NO dont do it.

Karen

Madrid
12-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Ok thank you

nadiabodikian
03-31-2009, 06:52 PM
1) Watch all the Soholaunch tutorial and make sure that you have a clear understanding of how it works.
3) Plublish your BlueVVoda website as normal to your main directory. Whenever you need anything for soho, just provide a link to that particular page.

concerning point 2) above
I tried to download soho several times it does NOT give you the option of where or which directory it will download.It says
"You chose to install in the main directory of the domain"

Click on Finish installation to continue.

Basically I want to design my webpage using BV and not the standard templates provided by SOHO, but use sohos shopping cart etc

Can this be done?
I see this is puzzling several users. on my computer soho will download only in the root directory of a domain or add on domain and that is it!
Do different users have different versions that allow them to do this? Am I missing out on something?

PLEASE HELP

Regards
Nadia

Karen Mac
03-31-2009, 06:58 PM
Soho has to be installed in a domain or subdomain.. not just a folder. So if you only have the domain installed and not another addon or subdomain set up.. then you wont get the option to choose.

On the first screen you should get a drop down of which domain to install it on.

No you cannot use BV to design templates for soho.. you can make basically two sites.. one for the bv.. one for the soho. you would have to manually LINK one to the other and vice versa for it to work, and you its not a task id recommend for a beginner.

Karen

nadiabodikian
03-31-2009, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the tip.
I am not exactly a beginner.
Also if you do not experiment, you do not progress.
I gathered eventually that it will be a sub domain and not a sub directory and created one and downloaded soho into the sub domain, although it would be helpful for other users if the word in red below said sub domain instead of directory.

thank you for your quick help karen!

walkingbliss
04-25-2009, 06:34 PM
Howdy,

I just found out that I can use Soho as the backend and BV as the front (yay for reading the forums). I have soho already installed, is there a way to change the location of soho (from the root to a folder)without uninstalling it? Or do I need to reset my account again?

Natalie

Karen Mac
04-25-2009, 08:16 PM
No uninstall it. Then you must create a SUBDOMAIN. You cant just install it in the folder.. it needs the full use of a domain.

Karen

TOMMCKEE
06-30-2009, 04:23 PM

I am requesting additional information on this topic. To date I have created my BluVoda front end and the Soholaunch for my store. I went to Cpanel and tried to create a new folder which I labeled africanartforthecollector.com/buy

I noticed that when this folder was created, the file manager somehow deleted the / after .com Can someone explain why this happens?

Next I go to Fantastico and want to install my completed Soho cart in the sub directory. All I can see is the option to click on Soholaunch. How do I just install my completed Soha cart application in the subdirectory?

Thank you for your advice.

TOMMCKEE

Karen Mac
06-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Soho launch needs to be installed in a SUBDOMAIN at the very minimum.. NOT a folder or subdirectory. Soho will then allow you to install in the SUBDOMAIN once you have created it.

Karen

TOMMCKEE
06-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Got it.

So I have to uninstall and then re-install under a sub domain name like:

www.africanartforthecollector.com/soho_subd

When doing this, would I lose all the data in the cart that I have created?

Karen Mac
06-30-2009, 10:05 PM
NO..

It would be something like www.soho.africanartforthecollector.com/ (http://www.soho.africanartforthecollector.com/)

You have to CREATE the subdomain just like you do an addon. In cpanel you will find an ICON called SUBDOMAIN.

Karen

TOMMCKEE
07-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks again Karen,

I did go to cpanel and create a subdomain sohobuycart@africanartforthecollector.com

This subdomain does not have to be Added-on as the next step in cpanel does it?

So, do I now go to Fantastico, uninstall SohoLaunch and reinstall? If so, will this step be the last step in this process to allow customers to buy from Soho Cart?

Sorry to be so persistent but I am trying to complete this web site for a client and working under a deadline. My intent is to be as thorough as I can possibly be before submitting the site for review.

Karen Mac
07-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Yes.. go to fantastico uninstall.. then reinstall

sohobuycart @ is incorrect

It should be sohobuycart.africanartforthecollector.com

Make sure you are doing it as a SUBDOMAIN and not a email address.

There will be a subdomain icon..

Karen

TOMMCKEE
07-02-2009, 12:17 AM
Well that worked. I did go to Cpanel, uninstall and then install Soho in the subdomain. This was sohobuycart.africanartforthecollector.com

Then what I see is that:

1. There are no graphic icons on the Soho control panel

2. I did lose my previously entered sku product data in the Soho cart.

Karen Mac
07-02-2009, 03:27 AM
Yes because you removed it.. I cant answer you about the other.. i suggest you clear your cache and relogin.

Karen

DrewPA
07-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Hello - I didn't think I was a beginner at this, but I'm beginning to think I'm not as smart as I thought. I wanted to experiment with Soholaunch, so I tried to install it in my main directory, which thankfully I was not allowed to do. I read through this thread, and figured out I needed to add a subdomain, which I did. My domain is www.walshadr.com, and I added soho as the subdomain, so it reads www.soho.walshadr.com.

I was able to install Soholaunch to the subdomain, but now when I click on the link to the admin area, I get a 500 Internal Server error message. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Karen Mac
07-09-2009, 10:49 PM
You probably have the permissions set to 777 and they need to be 755

Karen