Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Page doesn't exist...

Hello -

I was checking out some web stats to see where people are coming from to get to my site, and one of the referring URLs was an old page from my site that no longer exists (as far as I know!).

I've deleted that page from my folders long ago, and I can't find it anyplace in my files. How would someone be referred to my site from that page? Is there someplace else I may be missing where I should be deleting files and pages that I don't use anymore for my site? I checked out my FTP files and didn't see it in my public html folder either.

Thanks!
    Julie S.
    www.hanalynn.com

Re: Page doesn't exist...

Odd. Did you try typing in the URL? Could just be an old reference. I wouldn't loose sleep over it.

Andy
    PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Yup, I typed in the URL, and sure enough it pops up. (shrug) Can't figure out where it's coming from. =P Oh well... as long as it doesn't signify anything "fishy" as far as someone poking around where they're not supposed to be!
      www.hanalynn.com

Comment

If it was published and you haven't removed the published page from the internet - it will still be getting traffic from the se's and therefore sending you traffic.
        Beth
        A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
        SEO - The Basics

Comment

Hi Julie S.
          I like the look of your site, would you like to exchange Links ?
          If so, please see my exchange form at:http://weddingdressmarket.co.uk/linkinfo.html

BTW: if you want an easy contact form, see the link below my signature or
          try Navals new sooper dooper program at

have fun
          Have fun
          Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
          Newbies / Beginners Forum
          FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
          My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
          Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Thanks for all responses. =)

Bethers-
            When you say "remove the page from the internet", how would you go about doing that?

It does not appear in my public html file when I go into FTP or in my Blue Voda root folder.

Forgive me, I'm kinda new at this and I'm self-taught... so I may be missing something. =)

Thanks again!
            Julie
            www.hanalynn.com

Comment

Julie-
              Post the URL of the "fishy" page and we will be better able to help.

Cheers

Andy
              PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Hi Andy -

Sorry about that! That would help, huh? =P

http://www.hanalynn.com/linktome.html

I just know it's going to be something stupid that I'm totally overlooking.

Thanks!
                Julie
                www.hanalynn.com

Comment

I would have to say that it is indeed in the public_html folder. Hook up to the server via the FTP Manager and have a close look for the linktome.html page. Then simple right click on it and delete it.

Andy
                  PHP- is a blast!

Comment

I looked again, still don't see it there.

But, oddly, all of my published pages are not there anyway. All of my pages work fine when I pull up my site, but not all of them are listed in my public html folder. Shouldn't every page I've published show up there?

Hmm... maybe I have another public html folder someplace associated with my account?
                    www.hanalynn.com

Comment

Are you using BlueFtp or another FTP program ? BlueFTP will connect directly to your public_html folder, whilst other FTP software, unless differently setup, will connect to the upper level, not to public_html.

And no, you don't have another public_html folder, unless you manually created one.
                      Navaldesign
                      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
                      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign
                        Are you using BlueFtp or another FTP program ? BlueFTP will connect directly to your public_html folder, whilst other FTP software, unless differently setup, will connect to the upper level, not to public_html.

And no, you don't have another public_html folder, unless you manually created one.
                        Also, if you have lots and lots of files in your public_html, only so many are listed in the FTP Manager (BlueFTP). Do you remember, Naval, when I couldn't find files and pages? I thought I was going nuts. LOL This may have changed with subsequent upgrades to BV, but I just wanted to remind you.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                        02036089024 / United Kingdom
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Correct. BlueFTP will only show the first 200 files, the rest are hidden.

An option would be to use the CP File Manager to find and delete the file.

Thanks for reminding me Amanda!
                          Navaldesign
                          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

I always go in through my Control Panel to manage my pics and files - everything will show up there. But hadn't realized the issue with ftp and only 200 - so now will file that info for later use - because I probably would have decided to go that way one day and confused myself!

Thanks Amanda and Navaldesign.
                            Beth
                            A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                            SEO - The Basics

Comment

The problem is only relevant to BlueFTP, not other FTP programs. FTP is much faster and immediate than File Manager, with the only exception of deleting entire, folders with a large number of files.
                              Navaldesign

Comment

Working...
                              X