Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with email

Hi,
    I would like to have email that is sent to trw@mywebsite.com forwarded to another address. However, some one is using my domain name to spam and a ton of that mail is returned to me because I have set up to forward mail addressed to my website.
    Is there any way for email to certain addresses be forwarded but not the spam?
    The spam usually has an address such as f9hj9wf@mywebsite.com and does not use the "trw".
    Hope this makes some sense.
    CarbonTerry
    Semper Fi
    Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
    Zone 5 Photo
    My USMC

Re: help with email

set up a forwarder in your email control panel.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Terry,
      Probably the spaming is being done via your forms. You can read about it here:
      http://netisopen.com/computer/formhijack.html

And the solution is here:
      http://www.netisopen.com/computer/TF001/phpmailto.html

Andy
      PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Thanks for the reply General. That's where I am having a difficult time. It probably is quite straight forward but.......I am still not able to grasp it after watching the great tuts many times.

Andy,
        I am using forms generated by VH member Davidundalicia. Do I need to redo?
        CarbonTerry
        Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
        Zone 5 Photo
        My USMC

Comment

I believe that Davids forms have security measures implemented. Check with David to see if there is a vulnerability.

Did this problem occur when you had gone to Davids forms?

Andy
          PHP- is a blast!

Comment

I cant remember for sure but I believe that it occurred when I was just using a mailto: form.
            Is there any way to check stats or my email in the control panel to see if they are actually using BV servers?
            CarbonTerry
            Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
            Zone 5 Photo
            My USMC

Comment

Noone can use your mailserver to send mails, unless they can have access to your CP and they can setup an email account on your domain. Spammers usually use virtual addresses, as the one you described,, but use their own mailservers. They just "mascherade" the email adress, as being sent from your domain. With this said, IF, and i say IF, they are using your form script (i don't beleive they use the form, just the script) , use the new ABVFP script: it will check every single field of your form, to see if there are @ symbols included (spamming bots HAVE to use it, in order to send spam mail to multiple recipients) and if there are, it will abort mailing. Just make sure to set the correct extensions to your field names.
              The script also uses a referer check to see if the info has been sent from your site or from an external site, and will denny access to spam bots.
              Navaldesign
              Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
              Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
              DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
              Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Sounds like this is the place where I need to ask this question.

I have email addresses on my website for contacting a few different people, all of the addresses are blah blah @my domain name and then these are all forwarded to my outlook express personal account.

I seem to get this message a few times a day

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
                recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

08stocknews@travelite.com

So what is this telling me other than this place tried to subscribe to my newsletter or tried contacting one of the email addresses. Does this mean this place is using my email address for something else, or is it just coming back to me because my email adddresses when someone uses them off the site an autoresponder message is sent to them, and therefore this message is undeliverable to the above.

Know what I mean?? Is there anything that I should be doing about this?

Thanks

And here is another

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
                recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

92stocknews@tree-logic.com
                SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<92stocknews@tree-logic.com>:
                host messagerie.nwt.fr [217.147.195.100]: 550 <92stocknews@tree-logic.com>, Recipient unknown

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Does look like a spam attempt. Is this contact from a form on your site? If so- which one did you use (Davids, Navaldesign, Formmaker Pro, my tutorials).

Andy
                  PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy128
                    Does look like a spam attempt. Is this contact from a form on your site? If so- which one did you use (Davids, Navaldesign, Formmaker Pro, my tutorials).

Andy
                    Hi Andy, thanks for helping ....

No I haven't used a contact form, perhaps I need to ... what do you think?

This is just actually posting an email address on the site as an email link, you know like, I've used the word contact and highlighted it and linked it to my email address ...

that is probably a bad idea right?

Any help you can give so that I could get this all changed if I need to, would be great ...
                    Thanks

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Yes- Reason is that bots troll pages for e-mail addresses and then target them for spam. So...it appears that your e-mail address has become a target for spam mail. They are not using your server or anything- you will just be getting a lot of spam. The addresses given 92stocknews or 08stocknews I would guess are spam and not legit customers.

In anyevent- it appears that they did not get through as there was a delivery SMTP error.

One work around for posting your e-mail address would be to create your e-mail address as a jpg or gif. This can be done in MS Paint or any other photo program. Keep in mind- saving as gif will give you transparent capabilities.

Cheers-

Andy
                      PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonTerry
                        Thanks for the reply General. That's where I am having a difficult time. It probably is quite straight forward but.......I am still not able to grasp it after watching the great tuts many times.

Andy,
                        I am using forms generated by VH member Davidundalicia. Do I need to redo?
                        CarbonTerry:
                        Email me or use the contact form at any of my sites and I will send you an update...............or if you wish, I will install another form for you using naval&#180;s program.

Andy:
                        Thanks for the heads up....................
                        Have fun
                        Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
                        Newbies / Beginners Forum
                        FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
                        My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
                        Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

To get back to the original problem. I have added a forwarder but the mail is not forwarded.
                          I have set undirected email to "fail". Could that be the problem?
                          CarbonTerry
                          Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
                          Zone 5 Photo
                          My USMC

Comment

Originally posted by Andy128
                            Yes- Reason is that bots troll pages for e-mail addresses and then target them for spam. So...it appears that your e-mail address has become a target for spam mail. They are not using your server or anything- you will just be getting a lot of spam. The addresses given 92stocknews or 08stocknews I would guess are spam and not legit customers.

In anyevent- it appears that they did not get through as there was a delivery SMTP error.

One work around for posting your e-mail address would be to create your e-mail address as a jpg or gif. This can be done in MS Paint or any other photo program. Keep in mind- saving as gif will give you transparent capabilities.

Cheers-

Andy
                            Thanks Andy, that is just what I shall do ... so I'll just make a .gif of the word email and then link the .gif to the email addy, would that be correct?
                            Then they can't pick up the addy?

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Not exactly- Just put the gif there. If you link it then the bots find the href link in the html code.

The other more secure route is to have php contact forms.

Hope that helps

Andy
                              PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Working...
                              X