permanet redirects and temporary redirects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• permanet redirects and temporary redirects

I have a VodaHost .com site and a VodaHost .net site. I have decided to redirect my .com to my .net

I currently have placed a temporary redirect from the .com to the .net. However, I noticed there is an option to make it permanent.

What is the difference between temporary and permanent? If I make it permanent will I have the opportunity to reverse this action in the future if I so choose?
    Need Fast Energy Lasting Hours?
    World's 1st Healthy Feel Good Drink.
    A.C.T. Now!
    http://realcashwealth.net

Re: permanet redirects and temporary redirects

Yes, through your CP. However, you can also set the redirection publishing an index page with a piece of code that redirects to the other site.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

I assume you are saying yes that the action can be reversed. However, I still want to know the difference between permanet vs. temporary so that I can make the best decision for what I want to accomplish.

Could I please get an explanation of the difference?

Much Thanks,
      Kevin
      A.C.T. Now!

Comment

There is practically no difference. The following is the detailed description of redirects, taken from the CPanel.com manual. In any case, both can be removed.

Adding Redirects

Overview

Redirects allow you to make a specific web page redirect to another page and display the contents of that page. This way you can make a page with a long URL accessible by a page which has a shorter and easier to remember URL.

For example: Since http://www.domain.com/folder1/folder...derscores.html is hard to remember, you can make http://www.domain.com/filename.html redirect to the other URL. This way users do not have to remember the longer url or search through your web site to get to the page they wish to access.

Steps

1 To access the Redirects Menu, click on the icon above the word Redirects on the main screen of your cPanel interface.
        2 Enter the URL that you wish to be redirected in the first blank field.
        3 Enter the URL of the page that you wish your users to be taken (redirected) to in the second blank field.
        4 Select from the drop box whether this redirect is to be permanent or temporary.
        NOTE: Temporary redirects can be used when pages are under construction so that the user can view another page until that page is complete.
        5 Click on Add to add the redirect.

Troubleshooting

Make sure both the page that is being redirected as well as the page that is being redirected to exist.
        Navaldesign
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thread moved to the Control Panel Issues
          Navaldesign

Comment

Thanks for that additional info. It was very helpful.
            A.C.T. Now!

Comment

Reading again, i beleive (i have not tested it) that Temporary redirects will automatically become inactive as soon as the page that's being redirected is published. In other words, as the manual specifies, a temporary redirect is used for a NON existing page, and it redirects to, f.e. a "Page under construction". This way you can have only one "Under Construction" page and redirect there all your pages that don't exist yet (but you have included in your menubar, for future use purposes). As soon as you publish the page, CP will "see" it, and remove the redirection which becomes automatically inactive.
              Navaldesign

Comment

Naval, I have set up a redirect and it works perfectly. I have also used used the Wide XL tool to check how this is perceived by the search engines and it says that some search engines will not index a page that uses a redirect. Any info on this?
                Affordable Medical Insurance
                Discount Dental Plan
                Washington State Health Insurance
                Temporary Health Insurance
                Homeowner Insurance Quote

Comment

From what i know, SE will not index pages outside the site being indexed. However, i found out that Google has indexed also www.navaldesign.us. There, i only have a redirect to www.navaldesign.info. So, nothing can be absolute.
                  Navaldesign

Comment

Working...
                  X