Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customising Wordpress

Hi,

I am new to the (black) art of blogs- but encouraged by the examples I have seen here - thanks to Kassi59 in particular for inspiration § BUT
    I just cannot work out how to customise the blog format eg add a picture to replace the standard free headers? is that possible? modify the text to describe the sections ? add an RSS feed/ticker to the sidebar for the enjoyment of my visitors? Maybe I missed a tutorial somewhere in my enthusiasm?

Secondly- I also downloaded the phbb stuff - it's not clear to me - what is the difference in required functionality that these two tools were designed to address?

Thanks for illuminating my darkness!
    Roy

Re: Customising Wordpress

What I did to accomplish the picture change was to first choose a blog template that would allow the change...then took the photo from the template folder, changed it in my ***8 and then added it back under the same name as the original photo. that way when the template came up MY photo was there and not the original...
    As far as the Rss feed I could be wrong but I think thats just spider newspaper..not for us to read...but Im sure there is much more to it than how I dismiss it...lol
    phbb - are you thinking of having a forum?

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the response - clear on the photo replacement - always seems so simple when you know how!

The RSS question relates to adding the necessary script for this to the blog (or any other addon script I suppose) or is that a dumber question?

Yes I am thinking of adding a forum as a complementary tool to the blog - but not sure of functional differences in use really!

Roy

Comment

Well Im not up on the rss issue....
        And Im sorry to say not much incouragement on the forum..there are others here that are much more **** on forums. I myself had to quit being the moderator due to all the spam and I just was discouraged by it all. So maybe others can help with that in a more positive way.
        If you need any help with photo work tho! thats right up my alley!...

Comment

Many thanks for your help/advice!
          Roy

Comment

Just ask if you need help. I know a bit about wordpress. Starting on Joomla now...

Comment

Quick question Kate:

For an "advice" or "tips" function, would you prefer the clean design of a WordPress blog or the Forum format?
              I'm familiar with forums all right, and I can see a WordPress template that would present a really clean "advice" type medium for a friend of mine, but I wonder if blogs have as many safeguards against spamming and graffitti as do forums???
              The listing of topics is much cleaner in WordPress, and I find the current postings up front quite novel....almost encouraging for visitors to drill in....
              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Wow..hmm...thats tough. Im by not means an expert on either. I only know that the forum I moderated used phbb format and I had nothing but spam every day...as you know Im still dialing my connection and I just dont have or want to make the time to spend a day deleting spam. It was only one experience, but thats all it takes..thats why I had stated there are more here with better knowledge than I...lol
                As far as wordpress, Heres a page full of information that you might find interesting.
                ADVANCED TOPICS

As far as a blogger - Im not. Ive been helping a fellow VH member set up his 'actual blog'... so I do know that end of it, Im only learning how to use the application and have been just making 'whatever' sites with it..lol I say 'whatever' cause I really dont know what the hell Ive done...lol Id freak if someone posted and ruined it!...lol. There is a setting to where you have complete control of posts as like in phbb...so your able to monitor what goes in and gets deleted...
                Sorry I couldnt be of much help...Im the basics girl!.....hehe

Comment

Thanks.....I also have to realize that it will probably be me that will be coming to her rescue for all of time as well......
                  I'll just have to learn WordPress, and play along.

Wonderful!

Comment

I know that one of our VH companions asks me to change or set up something on the blog most daily...but hes getting the grip of it, and I too am learning right along side! So its a win win situation. When I do changes for him I write in an email step by step so he can follow it in the future, except the html changes...lol..that he could care less!..hehe Im sure eventually he will have it under control and wont need my help any more. If you want to email me feel free and I can at least help you with what little I do know..lol

Comment

TY....I am waiting to hear if I need to change out to WordPress right now.
                      I found a template perfect for use, but am weighing the free templates also....so pretty much waiting for instructions.

(What's good about Joomla??....I breezed through it and saw it as a website builder without eCommerce, but is it also a Forum/blog thing too? Wasn't Bee experimenting with it sometime back?)

And - Thanks again!

Comment

yea there are so many free templates for wordpress..some arent bad either..hehe...
                        Ive gotten a step or two with joomla..still working on it .. my spoiled brat syndrome came thru when I put about 5hrs of work into it and lost everything because I didnt do the smart thing...PERIODOCALLY SAVE! So Im still mad at me and will get back to it..Im only just learning to figure it out any way its not anything important...
                        you can have a peek
                        THE WINERY

Comment

LOL

I went to Joomla again....in fact they DO have eCommerce! I stand corrected....

SO, let me know how esy this is (compared to OsC or Soho). I have a few applications that are on the back-burner that need some kind of spiffy presentation, and being B2C for specialized websites, I wonder if I am devling into a realm I am ready for!

Thanks, Kate.....it's good to know that there are a few friends to count on in VodaLand!

Comment

OH sweetie, I tried soho and oc and couldnt make hide nor tails...but then I was anew. and I might just try that again...Im learning so much and the info is just running...I feel like the proverbial kid in a candy store...its all about what you feel .. the program is what you see it as..and either you GET it or you dont... practice and determination...
                            Eric your smarter than I now...common..lol but I do apreciate the attention! and of course Im always here for you my dear!

Comment

TY

Comment

Working...
                              X