What have I done wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What have I done wrong?

OK, this is probably a really dumb question, and I have searched everywhere to see if anyone else has this problem. I installed my wordpress blog and phpb forum from fantastico as I was instructed through the demos. But, they are installed, and I have no idea how to get to them! My blog was saved into www.momstimecafe.com/blog and my forum into www.momstimecafe.com/forum. When I try to go to the admin panel, nothing. Same with my blog - just an empty screen. I know I've obviously missed a step somewhere, please help! And, remember, I am really new to computer technology, so please bear with me!
    A place for moms:

When my kids become wild and unruly, I use a nice, safe playpen. When they're finished, I climb out. ~Erma Bombeck

Re: What have I done wrong?

first check in your FTP manager and see if the folders for your blog and forum are there, with all the files in them.
    if there not there i suggest uninstalling and then reinstalling .

the forum is there but no files or images are showing the only file i could find was overall_header.tpl.

Comment

I'm really sorry - I just don't know what I should be seeing in ftp manager. I don't see anything with wordpress or phpb. I have looked through all the tutorials, but I just can't find what I need. I tried uninstalling them both, and I reinstalled the phpb but I still don't see anything. Am I missing a step? I think maybe I bit off more than I could chew here - I really don't know enough about computers etc.
      A place for moms:

When my kids become wild and unruly, I use a nice, safe playpen. When they're finished, I climb out. ~Erma Bombeck

Comment

I will run through the set up of phpbb for you just to check your doing it right.
        1/ when you go to install phphbb2 you should see this screen.

Fill in the relative info . in the install into directory enter forum.
        username and password are what you want to use on your forum.
        after you have filled out the info press Install phpBB2
        wait untill the next screen appears which is.

Check the info notice the URL click the Finish installation.
        The next screen gives you the url with link to your phpbb

click one of the links to vist your forum.
        to check your FTP Manager click start / all programs / BlueVoda website builder / blueFTP . when screen opens click connect on right side of screen look for a folder named forum that is were your forum files are kept .

Comment

I had all of those screens come up while installing, and I even tried to click onto the link for the admin. section, but it just goes to the blank screen. I went into blue voda, and tried to connect, but it keeps coming up with the message " the attempt to connect to the FTP server failed, last server response: 530 Authentication failed, sorry." I am using the name and password I was given on welcome email, is that right?
          And, thank you for taking the time to try to help me! I really appreciate it!
          A place for moms:

Comment

Originally posted by mom2amor
            I had all of those screens come up while installing, and I even tried to click onto the link for the admin. section, but it just goes to the blank screen. I went into blue voda, and tried to connect, but it keeps coming up with the message " the attempt to connect to the FTP server failed, last server response: 530 Authentication failed, sorry." I am using the name and password I was given on welcome email, is that right?
            And, thank you for taking the time to try to help me! I really appreciate it!
            if you are using that to connect to your FTP then yes but make sure you are connecting to the right surver, the surver NUMBER will be in your welcome email. if you are still having problems email me or use my msn.

Comment

Hi, I was trying to connect to the wrong server. I got into my FTP and I see that both wordpress and forum are in there. Any ideas?
              A place for moms:

Comment

After installing either application you will be asked where to send that information. I send it directly to my personal email so I can access it easily.
                Go ahead and uninstall. then make sure you have that info sent to you directly.
                There in that info you will have both url's to your admin and your blog or forum....

Comment

Originally posted by mom2amor
                  Hi, I was trying to connect to the wrong server. I got into my FTP and I see that both wordpress and forum are in there. Any ideas?
                  First what is the name of the two folders ?
                  second check that the two folders contain a number of folders and files.

Comment

I did actually have the information emailed to me, and when I tried to access the URLs it gave me, I still had nothing. The folders both contain a bunch of folders and files, and they are named wordpress and forum. I'm thinking something else is wrong here! Anyway, I am going to go and try reinstalling them. I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks guys!
                    A place for moms:

Comment

I hope it works this time!...

Comment

I'm back. It still isn't working this time. I think I better submit a ticket and see if I can get this fixed. Thank you so much for your help!
                        A place for moms:

Comment

Working...
                        X