X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Into Search Engines

Hi All,

My site is up and running and what an accomplishment. www.bubbeesbeads.org

One question remains...how do I get my site listed with sites like google?

Is there a fee for being listed?

How do I go about getting information on this aspect of website building.

Thanks

Mindy

Re: Getting Into Search Engines

Mindy,
    There is a lot of information on this in the forum - under search engines - but for a quick overview - the most important thing you can do - is get your site out there - meaning links BACK to your site - so start a link trading program with RELEVANT link partners - write a press release and submit it - a couple places you can do that are www.prleap.com and www.prweb.com - just make sure you follow all their guidelines (and, yes, you can do it free). Go into Craig's List and do an ad (yes, a free one - that links back to your site. You can also do this at other places.

I don't find it necessary to submit to se's - however, as this is your first website and I'm guessing the only links back to you right now are from in your posts here (and, yes, they do count) - you are allowed one free submitting through vodahost for a website - I suggest you use it and then do NOT submit again. SE's do not like people doing that - once is enough - and links are actually preferable.

You need to put a support ticket in to get the submission through Voda.

Now, if you want the se's to consider your site for what's on it - you need to spend some more time optimizing your site for them. First - you HAVE to have good titles on each page - not "untitled" as your home page is right now. You HAVE to fill out the meta description for each page (and every page will be different.

I suggest you get the titles done and the meta done BEFORE you submit.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Hi Beth,

Plan to be busy today redoing meta tags for each page. Tried the index page but when I rig***licked and got page properties, it was a different one than the tutorial showed. Meta tags was not on the one I got, only general and links.......What am I doing wrong? Thx Mindy

Comment

NEVER MIND, I FOUND IT ! ! DUH! for me.........lol

Comment

Hi Beth,
          Do I need a "head tag" and if so, how do I put it on the page? Redid meta tags for each page but I don't understand about my index page not having a title. Where do I check that and how do I include a title for that page?
          Thanks for all your advise... you are really an angel.
          Mindy

Comment

Hi Mindy,

Don't worry about the head tag.

The title: When you right click and go into "page properties" on each page - the first screen that comes up is the general screen - the first line in it is the title - this is where you put the title that will show in the top blue browser bar when people go to your site.

Then, under meta - the really important meta is your description. It needs to be short, using your keywords - and different for every page.

Fill out the keywords meta - again, you don't need lots of them - they HAVE to appear on the page - put them in with commas:
            jewelry, beaded, bracelets, - for the ones that are appropriate to THAT page.

Let me know if this helps or if you need more.
            Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

The name of my site (The Thread Hut) and the name of my sewing business (Drum Point Designs) are not the same. Does this create a problem with SE's, bots, rankings, etc.?

ellielou
              www.threadhut.com

Comment

In the page description, should the words I use mirror the text? Or should it include my services buttons? My business is about sewing, but it's very diverse, so I have a page for each kind of sewing that I do.

ellieloue
                www.threadhut.com

Comment

ellielou,
                  Do people know about Drum Point Designs? Do you have regular customers that will be looking for you by that name? If so, you want to make sure you use the name within the text where applicable, so the se's will find it.

You will also be branding your new online name - which is The Thread Hut.

I don't see a problem - it's just a matter of using the words to your advantage.
                  Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                  SEO - The Basics

Comment

Beth - yes, I've been doing business under Drum Point Designs for over 15 years. The name was chose because I live on Drum Point Road. Unfortunately, it doesn't convey what I do (only to those who know me). I chose the name "The Thread Hut" because that's the name of my sewing studio and it does convey (sort of) what I do. Now I'm thinking the whole thing may be confusing to future clients. Eventually, I want to have an e-Commerce site. If the name thing is going to be confusing and cause problems, now is the time for me to make a change, if that's what I have to do.

ellielou
                    www.threadhut.com

Comment

Working...
                    X