PDA

View Full Version : google doesn't like sub-domains?

lovethatbluegrassmusic
10-10-2006, 03:29 PM
taken from widipedia:

Also please note that as of late search engines such as Google are reportedly working with filters that penalize or may even ban sub-domains. Use with caution if SERP's are your main source of traffic

from a google search on 'subdomain'

Bethers
10-10-2006, 06:35 PM
How are you planning to use a subdomain?

The reason that says what it does, is for the longest time, subdomains were used to create basically "duplicate content" sites - trying to get higher rankings in se's. SE's recognize the black hat techniques and eventually penalize for them.

I really don't see value of sub-domains- would rather everything I do have it's own domain name - and therefore, they become add-on domains.

Google itself doesn't say much on subdomains:
http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/search.py?query=subdomains&prior=sub%20domains

lovethatbluegrassmusic
10-10-2006, 06:38 PM
Thank's Beth. I think I will follow your reasoning.

Vasili
10-10-2006, 09:18 PM
PS: Widipedia is certainly NOT an authoritive resource, as it is a compendium of information voluntarily submitted, and has an acknowledged error rate of 30%.

The founder of Wikipedia admits that as a collaborative effort, many new entries that traditional compendiums would not consider help to add to the dynamic global community (which has inspired him to create another new business model) but must be considered no more importantly than a work in flux, reflecting social development, and not the advancement of reliable knowledge.

lovethatbluegrassmusic
10-10-2006, 10:11 PM
ok, thanks Vasili
Makes you wonder though.

Vasili
10-10-2006, 11:09 PM
LOL

I know, Brad....when it comes to Google, even I seem to have not made up my mind yet. (Although I seem to have a distinctive anti-Google reputation here in VodaLand, huh?) http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/images/icons/icon11.gif
Either I am so full of angst, or I peer precisely into their modelling to see bigger pictures. Whatever. I just know that I am totally against getting involved with any of their shenannigans, and think it appropriate that Yahoo and even Ask.com and other SE's are emerging as solid contenders....

LadyEye
10-11-2006, 06:10 PM
PS: Widipedia is certainly NOT an authoritive resource, as it is a compendium of information voluntarily submitted, and has an acknowledged error rate of 30%.

The founder of Wikipedia admits that as a collaborative effort, many new entries that traditional compendiums would not consider help to add to the dynamic global community (which has inspired him to create another new business model) but must be considered no more importantly than a work in flux, reflecting social development, and not the advancement of reliable knowledge.

This is true ... you can go there and sign in and make changes or add things ... kind of strange to me ... but vasilli is absolutely correct!

Bethers
10-11-2006, 06:48 PM
However, subdomains do NOT have the same power as a true domain with any se.