PDA

View Full Version : How do I upload a CGI script to the server?

WebMagic
10-17-2006, 05:43 AM
Hello All...

I found some CGI scripts I would like to use, but I need to upload them to the server. One is "Bookmark This Page!" as an example.

How do I upload a script? I've uploaded files and ebooks and the like, but never just a script.

Can't figure out what to do in FTP.

Appreciate your help.

WebMagic

VodaHost
10-17-2006, 12:33 PM
Do they not come with installation instructions?

WebMagic
10-18-2006, 07:49 AM
Do they not come with installation instructions?

Not that I saw anywhere. It just said to copy the script and upload it to the server. Also that it wouldn't work in Preview mode. It must be uploaded to the server.

I tried to publish the page with the script in it, but that didn't do the trick.

WebMagic

Mook25
10-18-2006, 11:01 PM
If all you need to do is upload the script you can go into cpanel click file manager then go to the cgi directory and click upload file. You wll need to uplaoad in a .zip file and then extract once it is in the directory. Either that or you could use a free ftp program like cute ftp.
HTH

WebMagic
10-19-2006, 08:00 AM
If all you need to do is upload the script you can go into cpanel click file manager then go to the cgi directory and click upload file. You wll need to uplaoad in a .zip file and then extract once it is in the directory. Either that or you could use a free ftp program like cute ftp.
HTH

Thanks Mook25 and Voda Host! I'll give that a try. I find scripts really frustrating because after I unzip them, many of the files are in a strange extension and I can't even open them to see what they're all about!

Any thoughts on that?

Cheers,
WebMagic

VodaHost
10-19-2006, 10:01 AM
Be VERY wary of freebie scripts, they might contain back door trojans, many do, and they can comprimise your account.

WebMagic
10-20-2006, 05:03 AM
be wary of freebie scripts, thye might contain back dorr trojans, many do, and they can comprimise your account.

Hello Voda Host:

What do you mean "compromise my account"? With Voda Host?

Please advise. I downloaded some scripts from CosmicScripts. Am not sure how to use them yet, but I only chose ones that made sense to me at the time. Cosmic does provide installation instructions. But - it's still tough for me to figure out.

Thanks,
WebMagic

VodaHost
10-20-2006, 10:48 AM
This means that if you install a bad script you may unknowingly
grant a hacker access to your control panel and he can do all
sorts of damage to your account once he is on the inside.

Mook25
10-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Hello Voda Host:

What do you mean "compromise my account"? With Voda Host?

Please advise. I downloaded some scripts from CosmicScripts. Am not sure how to use them yet, but I only chose ones that made sense to me at the time. Cosmic does provide installation instructions. But - it's still tough for me to figure out.

Thanks,
WebMagic
Sites such as CosmicScripts basically just collect scripts and as such, as ***** said, may contain trojans or viruses. Whether with the webmasters knowledge or not.
If you are going to download scripts, or anything for that matter, it is advisable to make sure you scan with a virus checking tool before unzipping as if you inadvertantly install a back door trojan on your system hackers can then log every key you press on your keyboard and by doing that that they can then pick up your passwords for your various programs.

REMEMBER - ALWAYS SCAN DOWNLOADS, this is the policy i use and have had no problems. You can get most virus software to automatically scan downloads as they are downloaded.