Creating a Template

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating a Template

Can we create a new template for SohoLaunch through BlueVoda? I am not too impressed with most of the templates available, so what would be the best way to create a custom template that we can use throughout the website?

Thanks for your help!

Re: Creating a Template

The best way I found to create or edit templates in soho is to find one that they offer in terms of layout etc, that was closest to what i needed and then go fishing in the admin folder, includes, templates... i think.. you might have to fish around a little more... anyway... download the whole template folder of the one you want. Then IMPORT that folder as a site to dreamweaver or frontpage, and then reset the colors or the images you want to use etc. Change the name of the WHOLE folder when you are finished and then either zip it and import it thru the template manager, or...ftp it back up to the template folder on your store. It should then appear on your list of choices.

Doing it this way imports all the php files and attributes that you need, without hiring a programmer etc to get it done.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hi Karen
      Trying to understand the whole process that you just describe...don quite get it.

a few questions:
      1)where is the admin folder you are referring to?
      2)how and where to download the whole template folder that i want?
      3)what do you mean by 'importing the whole template as a site to dreamweaver?' how do you do that?
      4)is it necessary for me to zip the RENAMED folder after i am done?
      5)how can i upload the renamed template through TEMPLATE MANAGER?

Hope you can help me out here...i am stucked at this stage right now.
      thanks a million zillion...

yuyan

Comment

Yuyan,

I use filezilla to connect to my site, then go to the directory where soho resides in public html, your site, then you can navigate in each of the folders. when you find the template files, they are in individual folders. I use the ftp to right click, and download the whole folder.

In dreamweaver, click the site button, new site, name it, etc and then navigate to the folder you downloaded following the instructions and pop ups that dreamweaver gives you. I suppose you could also do this in frontpage, but the point is, you want ALL the files in the folder to be updated when you make changes to the template. The software will do this for you automatically if you work on it as a site.

Then you can open the images folder and the css files to change the colors, fonts, etc. You can use a image editor to recolor, and reshape the background images and/or replace them with your own. Then change them in the template. When you have manipulated what you want, and saved it, you then need to go to file explorer and rename the folder. I usually just change one of the names between the dashes, so that it stays within their formatting ie: "Blue-Pinstripes_whatever".

You may then ftp this folder back to where you found it with the changed name, or zip it up, go to the the template manager and import the zip file there. Then your new template will be available on the drop down list.

You might also want to make a screen shot inside the new folder of the new template as well too, to replace the one that originally in there so you can VISUALLY recognize it too.

Do NOT attempt to edit these files using your cPanel. Especially if any of them are .php extensions, as the file editor will remove some of the characters the php extends like // and your shopping cart will give you a ton of errors and you most likely will end up having to reinstall it or pay someone to go in there and fix it. Thats why i suggest only editing in dreamweaver or frontpage and pulling in the site with one of those and doing the edits only after you have downloaded it to your hard drive. This way you dont mess up anything accidently in case you have downloaded or edited the wrong things.

I also strongly recommend that you do not do more than BROWSE these folders and files with your cPanel file manager, or download with it. Use a ftp client. Filezilla is free, works great and is easy to use.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Thanks Karen
          I can tell you have been working hard to learn how to use soholaunch.
          i will get back to template on later next week, as i am off to KL over the weekend.
          Meanwhile, my boyfriend and I have been successfully in customising the pages. it's alot better and faster than the old host. hahaha

yuyan

Comment

Yuyan,

You are most welcome! Its alot LESS headaches as well! Enjoy your weekend!

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

hey karen
              i think we finally manage to tweak the templates...but... ( haha, there is always buts to everything)

but....

we do not what's going on, we cant get to our site or sohoadmin now..

maybe it's our internet connection.. are you able to see the site as well?
              thanks

yuyan

Comment

ooppss...
                the site is www.impress-*******.com
                thanks again

Comment

Yuyan,

Yes I can see it, and <SMACK> what do i see front and center? GOOGLE ADS! What did i tell you about that? Put them at the BOTTOM OF THE PAGE! You dont want people leaving before they even see your product!

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                  291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

LOL and a double smack from me. And get that big huge request for an email off that prime first page real estate also - sell YOUR products.

<running>
                    Beth
                    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Hi karen,

I am using Soho for my site. But I could not find best template for my travel site. I m using one template from soho but that does not suit with my products. Can you recommend some site or builder. I wrote message to Template z*****r to but no reply. Also how can I use shopping carts in Bluevoda ? Your help is highly appreciate.

Originaly, I was using Blue voda but no online shopping carts, so I try Soho but still not full fill the things I wanted.

Chitra Gurung
                      Kathmandu, Nepal
                      www.egtours.com
                      Chitra B. Gurung
                      EVERGREEN Tours,
                      Kathmandu, Nepal
                      www.egtours.com

Comment

Chitra

I dont know where to start first.

Templates.. What I suggest is you find one that has similar NEEDS to yours. Colors are easily fixed up, as well as adding headers etc, changing font styles in css and even somewhat the layout. You might try Joe Lain, or Ben, Ben owns Templatezapper I think or co owns it with Joe. They are both on the SOHO forum and you could send them a pm about a custom template. Of course I dont know the charges for that.

Blue Voda will work with paypal shopping cart, roman cart, Mal's ecart by cutting and pasting buttons, and Beth uses Cart Manager. I suggest you talk to Beth about that one, and I forget who it is that uses Mal's Ecart, but if you ask around im sure someone will lead you the right way.

You could also look at OSCommerce, but its not a simplified to build as soho is. There are a number of Templates available for it.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Hi, I m new to soholaunch. Want to create template from scratch. Can't figure out from the tips given above. Is there a clearcut (step-wise) tutorial available anywhere? First experience is bit frustating!

Comment

Working...
                          X