Lock the page width

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lock the page width

There needs to be a lock for page widths. Everytime I fix something on a published page, the width jumps and I don't notice until I've re-published and check out the page. I'm getting better at remembering to check but my site is mostly video and takes forever to re-publish.

Re: Lock the page width

It only changes width if you put something outside of the selected width. Which it has to do if you put something there. I also don't like it- so am very careful to try not to put anything outside of my chosen width.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Be sure too that you tick center in browser, maybe that is a problem for you too .....

and there is a page lock, when you go to save page you will notice something that says "lock all"
      but check your page dimensions before you lock ... and then you will be safe ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

It's centered correctly, but for 1200 width. I guess I'm just venting and angry at myself. I did hours of changes yesterday on my site and now I find out six of the largest pages need to be narrowed and re-published, about a 2 hour process. Oh, well.
        Thanks for your responces.

Comment

Originally posted by Dayjack
          It's centered correctly, but for 1200 width. I guess I'm just venting and angry at myself. I did hours of changes yesterday on my site and now I find out six of the largest pages need to be narrowed and re-published, about a 2 hour process. Oh, well.
          Thanks for your responces.

hhmmm ..... yes I know the feeling, are you doing your pages 1200 width ... most agree that 800' width is suitable for everyone, just checking in case you change and then might want to change again ...

I know the feeling though, I did all my pages, at 1000' width in the beginning, but someone pointed it out to me that while it was great for me and 60% of the viewers on the net, 800' seems to be great for 100% of the viewers ... so I redid all my pages .... and ahem, I had about 100 pages, it was days .... I know how you feel .... :)

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Ladyeye:

No, the original width is set at 900. www.e-webvideo.com. The edges don't have anything that an 800 width machine would miss.

Thanks for the shoulder.

Comment

what an exciting site ... and while I have my screen resolution set at 1024, I agree with you, I have no sideways scroll .... but when I set my resolution at 800' x 600 ... I have sideways scroll so would miss on my screen some things .... and some people do have this set at that ....

just try it .... that is what convinced me to change my pages ....

you don;t have to ... just letting you in on what everyone let me in on ...

but your site is very exciting!!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

That's what I like, a woman with great taste.

Comment

I'm going to go against the grain here and tell you to look at your own market. There ARE times to build websites with widths wider than 800. And I don't think it would hurt on your type of website.

I'm using 1000 width now on 2 of my websites - and my conversion rate has not gone down (if it did, I would revert right away). I pay close attention to how many people with 800 res come to my sites - and the percentage is so low that I'm still not worried. The more new computers go out there, the 800 res will slowly fad (as the original 600 res is now a thing of the past.)
                  Beth
                  A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                  SEO - The Basics

Comment

Bethers:

How do you know how many people with 800 rez come to your site? Do the c-panel stats give this somewhere? I was almost convinced to switch, but since I'm a bit lazy, I wasn't going to do it right away.

Comment

http://www.onestat.com/html/aboutus_pressbox38.html

I also read this ....

but it's your choice for sure ... I didn't want to change but I did, and I had some folks tell me it's better .... I build for the future but I also build for now .... I guess I wanted to make sure I had 100%, it's less than 20% for the 800' but this way you cover everyone ....

and where you offer dial-up .... that would be a tell-tale sign for me too ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                      X