Help with computer, low on virtual memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with computer, low on virtual memory

For some reason my computer is taking around an hour to load. The message I get it is low on virtual memory. Is this the cause, I have tried cleaning it up and removing some programs I no longer use with little success.

Can anyone shed any light on what the problem maybe and how I can solve it.

Thanks so much.

Regards Paul
    www.anxietynomore.co.uk
    The U.K's largest independent site for help with Anxiety and Panic issues.

Buy and Source Wholesale Make Up
    Up to 75% off Branded top end Make-up.

www.firstwebcall.com
    Affordable Website Design.

www.anxietynomore.co.uk/blog

The most active blog on anxiety on the net.

Re: Help with computer, low on virtual memory

What is your operating system?
    How many MB RAM ?

Check this page out: http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php read the last section "Problems with Virtual Memory"
    Bill
    www.blueearthtea.com
    www.ftaaconsulting.com
    www.iaval.com
    www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Go to Start
      Right Click on MY COMPUTER
      Click on PROPERTIES (this will open a tool Window)
      Click on the ADVANCED tab
      Click on Performance SETTINGS
      Click on ADVANCED tab again in Performance Options.
      Go down to the bottom and you'll see VIRTUAL MEMORY
      Click on CHANGE
      With C: highlighted click and check the box CUSTOM SIZE
      according to how much Hard Drive Space you have you can set the Virtual Memory up to 4096 if you have 4gigs free...
      Intial Size 4096
      Maximum Size 4096
      click on SET
      then OK OK OK OK OK then restart your system.... Virtual Memory is Maximized

Comment

I suspect that you have very little RAM memory. Could you tell us how much RAM memory you have on your machine?

In todays day an age- anything less than 256mb RAM memory is bad. 512 MB and above are preferred.

Andy
        PHP- is a blast!

Comment

awe andy I have 384MB ram so I guess its time to get some more brains..off to oz!....lol
          Im so hoping that santa will bring me a new tower this year!...I have programs I can even use!

Comment

Hey Kassi,

384 aint too bad. What kind of specs are ya running on your computer?
            My ol'faithful is an 800 mhz duron processor with 312MB ram. It has it's limitations. I have a second computer that is a 1.4ghz with 768 ram.
            Between the two, I can accomplish most things I need to. The next computer I get I am going to build from the ground up. I want to do video transfer from VHS to digital. Maybe next summer?

If you see santa before me- put in a good word.

Andy
            PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Intell celeron 1200MHz 1.2GHz its a compaq presario and its 5yrs old..Ive already upgraded once. I can go up one more to 512...but theory is here that if I were to do that then I may as well get into it the right way and go into giga group and leave the megas behind.
              I have so many photo programs and music programs..Like cd lable creator, and roxio cd burner, ***8, ulead, harvard 3d, shoot I cant even name them all and those are the ones I have on my puter! I still have some that I dont use because this poor thing cant handle what I put it thru now!...lol
              I so desparately need a new tower. thats all I dont need a monitor or keyboard, so that knocks of a bill or two...lol
              A very short 5 yrs ago I knew nothing at all. I didnt even know how to connect to the net or send an email...nothing at all. My coworker had to write down what I would want...lol...UBS ports on the front for easy access..oookkk...lol...not a clue! processors mega I was totally out of it..I now can at least chat a bit of the chat...still learnin the walk tho!...lol

And yes my dear Im living so close to Santy that I will definate give a whisper in his ear!

Comment

jeez... I forgot what it was like to be without RAM. (I have 2 gigabytes) Runs like a dream!!! Upgrade!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pemdas21
                  jeez... I forgot what it was like to be without RAM. (I have 2 gigabytes) Runs like a dream!!! Upgrade!!!
                  Ok! send all donations to : http://www.KatesNewPuter.com/ lol

hopefully Santy will be nice to me this year!...grins.

Comment

Kate ... m,y opinion coming up here ....

While lots of ram can help, adding additional ram to a 1.2 ghz processor will only make your computer feel and act like you have two desktops. What I mean by that is your processor is what needs updating, not really the ram. And to update your processor, well you are better off buying a new one.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                    02036089024 / United Kingdom
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

oh, and it is a dual core... $999.99 With printer and 19" lcd Monitor and video capabilities... 500 gig hard drive... :)

(Found it in the corner of an ad)

Comment

hey, I have an hp presario 2500 notebbok pc as well. Mine came with 512 mg ram though. I can even run vista on it. 32 bit of course.

Comment

well hi Karel im new just thought id try to help you out till you get that new pc lol.ok their is a free program out their that ive used for a long time it works well.this program is completely safe and low resources a well.the name of it is CCleaner you can google it what it does is remove any temporary internet files on your pc that is clogging up your virtual memory.and i hope this helps a little im new figured id jump in and try to help and hope you get ur pc for christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by slaughter2
                            .... free program out their that ive used for a long time it works well.this program is completely safe and low resources a well.the name of it is CCleaner you can google it what it does is remove any temporary internet files on your pc that is clogging up your virtual memory.......
                            I 2nd that!

I ran across this one recently too. I'm very picky about what type of programs I let run that deep through my computer, but WOOOOOOOO!

This lil sucker is nice. I manually went through all 250,000+ files and registry data on my PC one time (took 4 hrs)...ran CCleaner and I'll be darned if it didn't find something I didn't. By the time it was done...I just about had to change my shorts! pardon the expression.

Download CCleaner for FREE. Clean your PC of temporary files, tracking cookies, browser junk and more! Get the latest version today.
                            Robert
                            www.GraphXntrix.com
                            Your Visual Revolution Solution

Comment

yes, Ive been using it for years now, its a great little tool! The only thing I dont like about it and thats just too bad for little lazy me, is that it cleans out all my saved usernames and passwords to the many areas I go and I have to sometimes get my info sent to me, but thats my being lazy not the tools fault!...lol
                              good one,

Comment

Working...
                              X