PDA

View Full Version : downloads

cleffern
10-25-2006, 10:27 PM
yo sup everyone
hey i got a question, im making a anime download site but i dont know how to add downloads please help me

oh and i was just wondering how do i edit my account im a little confused cuz this forum is diffrent from others and i would like to change it

davidundalicia
10-26-2006, 12:15 AM
To edit your account, click on user cp at the top of this page.

If you put a link to the file you wish to download the rest is automatic.......
When the person clicks the link, a save or open box will appear.

have fun

bschomp
08-07-2008, 11:27 PM
Hey Dave, I have a dumb question how do you put a link so that people can download off your site?

Brian

schompinsurance.com

bschomp
08-07-2008, 11:31 PM
what I mean is a link to the file that is

davidundalicia
08-07-2008, 11:32 PM
download here
select above text
click on the green ball and chain icon at the top of the page
enter the link to the downloadable file...............

bschomp
08-07-2008, 11:43 PM
ok i sorta see what you mean. The only thing i'm confused about would be how to enter the link for something that needs to be downloaded like in my case it would be a brochure. The file i'm trying to do is LSP_OR_DC_MD_PA_NH_SC_GA.pdf from Adobe. I mean do i upload this in my public/html and then what? sorry alittle slow on this one. Also I try to do a text box but I can't use a link for that what else can I use instead to have something like View Brochure

davidundalicia
08-07-2008, 11:48 PM
If you open a text box
double click
enter View Brochure
select the text
then select the icon I mentioned before
you can then enter the link
filename.pdf.......which should be on your site.............

bschomp
08-07-2008, 11:51 PM
oh ok so the link type should be file not html ? do i type public/html/the file name?

davidundalicia
08-08-2008, 12:00 AM
No..............I gave an example....filename=the name of your pdf file
and after the .
pdf
not html

so: http://yoursitename/filename.pdf

Vasili
08-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Hyperlink your text ( Download Brochure ), entering the link: www.YourSiteName.com/lsp_or_dc_md_pa_nh_sc_ga.pdf (http://www.YourSiteName.com/lsp_or_dc_md_pa_nh_sc_ga.pdf) (NOTE: file must not have capital letters for downlaods, thus you must re-name your .PDF files accordingly before upload) and upload the file directly into your public_html/ directory.

bschomp
08-08-2008, 12:04 AM
aha!! I see...well I know now, and well... knowing is half the battle LOL. Thanks alot Dave you are awesome!!!

davidundalicia
08-08-2008, 12:05 AM
meow..............your welcome.

bschomp
08-08-2008, 12:06 AM
LOL nice one... Thanks for the tip General. Sorry posted while you were.

Marincky
08-08-2008, 12:11 AM
(NOTE: file must not have capital letters for downlaods.

Why not Eric? I have downloaded about 80 pdf files for one client's site and probably half of them are in capitals and work? Or is there an underlying issue to doing this? Have I got hours of work ahead of me renaming?

bschomp
08-08-2008, 12:13 AM
ah ****...ok when i create the link and then doulble click to go back in why does it erase it?

bschomp
08-08-2008, 12:15 AM
btw that wasn't a bad word it just was rap with a c in front...hmm weird

davidundalicia
08-08-2008, 12:16 AM
downloading pdf files can be called what you like...
even DA1266663553555ndbruzei_YUOmmmskkkrjs.pdf

The more obtuse, the less likely that they will be ripped off.............

Vasili
08-08-2008, 12:21 AM
Why not Eric? I have downloaded about 80 pdf files for one client's site and probably half of them are in capitals and work? Or is there an underlying issue to doing this? Have I got hours of work ahead of me renaming?Not only is it a "universal principle" (across various file formats - .pdf, .zip esp. etc) but consistent with the evolution of foundations (HTML, Flash, Unicode, CSS, PHP, etc. as well as server types and their evolutions), browsers (IE, Opera, Firefox/Mozilla/Slim etc.), and even connections.
Sounds like you have been lucky so far, but you might soon see that what I mention really is the case....

Thus, the "keeping in line" with the 'official' VodaHost-supported methods: http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/bluevoda-tips-tricks-shortcuts/18851-how-create-download.html?highlight=download+file

davidundalicia
08-08-2008, 12:24 AM
Sorry eric....dont agree with you.... there are no rules, only guidlines that keep shifting from 1 site to another.

Marincky
08-08-2008, 12:25 AM
I have mentioned to the client before about naming them in lower case, but that fell on deaf ears and seeing as they seemed to work I guess I didn't really push it. Well, if I get a couple of spare weeks I'll rename them.

On second thoughts, if I get two weeks spare.... I'll take another cruise!http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/images/icons/icon12.gif

bschomp
08-08-2008, 12:26 AM
ok my view brochure link is not coming up so that i can click it when i have it in preview

davidundalicia
08-08-2008, 12:28 AM
ah ****...ok when i create the link and then doulble click to go back in why does it erase it?

Try it slowly...........
double click then hold the mose key down whilst you select the text
then select the icon.

Marincky
08-08-2008, 12:30 AM
Try it slowly...........
double click then hold the mose key down whilst you select the text
then select the icon.

David... I am sending you a spare 'U' key for your keyboard as yours is broken http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/images/icons/icon12.gif

davidundalicia
08-08-2008, 12:31 AM
Thanks...and I should think so to, I just saved you hours of renaming......lol

bschomp
08-08-2008, 12:31 AM
well when i go into the link in BV it's there but i have to click on tab and scroll down to select it. then it dissapears again when i go back in. I mean does that mean its there and that it will work? because I'm not getting a little hand when i mouse over it in preview mode

Marincky
08-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Thanks...and I should think so to, I just saved you hours of renaming......lol

hey, my motto is.. 'If it works...leave well alone' and it works for me http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/images/icons/icon12.gif

davidundalicia
08-08-2008, 12:39 AM
well when i go into the link in BV it's there but i have to click on tab and scroll down to select it. then it dissapears again when i go back in. I mean does that mean its there and that it will work? because I'm not getting a little hand when i mouse over it in preview mode

Sorry my friend, you have lost me now....do you mean that the text link
has moved down the page in BV ?

It might be quicker and easier for you if you had a look at the
adding text links video...........

bschomp
08-08-2008, 12:45 AM
LOL what I mean if you double click on text then click on the link button when it opens up. Look down where you can type your url after the http:// and there is an arrow button on the other side. you click on that it gives you a drop down menu of urls. well every url that i have entered on my site is on there whether its the ones on my home page or the one i'm working on. At the bottom is the file that I just put in. so i select that and it shows up in the box and i click ok. when i go back in i have to do it again. it doesn't stay in the box like the others do.

Marincky
08-08-2008, 12:48 AM
If you are looking for the file, make sure the file type box is changed to 'file' and then click on the link that says 'browse for file.

Otherwise just type in the full url for the file

bschomp
08-08-2008, 01:05 AM
figured a different way to do it. Just using a navigation bar instead.
but now when I click on it says error that the file is not on this server.

Not Found

The requested URL /lsp_allstates.pdf was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.8b mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.schompinsurance.com Port 80

bschomp
08-08-2008, 01:14 AM
nevermind figured it out... for some reason when i looked into my public_htm file it had pdf.pdf at the end of the file. Weird. this is kinda fun when yuo start to know what you are doing lol.