Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with robots

For quite sometime I have been getting this error message

[Wed Aug 31 10:43:58 2005] [error] [client 213.180.216.253] File does not exist: /home/onlineg/public_html/robots.txt

I do have robot text in my source but robots, crawls whatever you call it, are having a hard time finding my page. Does it have something to do with me uploading my files to public_html? please help I am begging. pet121

Search engines will look in your root domain for a special file named "robots.txt" (http://www.mydomain.com/robots.txt). The file tells the robot (spider) which files it may spider (download). This system is called, The Robots Exclusion Standard.
    www.bluevodaexchangelink.com
    BluevodaExchangeLink Help Center
    Bluevodaexchangelink Forum

The only place for bluevoda site to be linked with!

Comment

check out

This website is for sale! webtoolcentral.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, webtoolcentral.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

thanks

I am getting there slowly. This is turnning out to be no hobby thats for sure. My site well its not even a quarter finished but put it on the net anyway. I keep on getting sidetracked on learnning how to promote your site. I appreciate your response and will look into it. Some robots grab some don't. I am doing very well on google and yahoo. 35000 hits last month not to shabby for a quarter of a site. Thanks again pet121

Comment

what is robot text and how do you put it on your website? i want to optimise my searches on search engines for my site www.davidjoffediamonds.com and i dont know why everyone keeps mentioning this robot text!! PLEASE HELP

Comment

Originally posted by djdiamonds
            what is robot text and how do you put it on your website? i want to optimise my searches on search engines for my site www.davidjoffediamonds.com and i dont know why everyone keeps mentioning this robot text!! PLEASE HELP
            david

go here

This website is for sale! webtoolcentral.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, webtoolcentral.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

this site will help you make your "robot.txt" and explain all about it, also there some other great tools for helping to get your site listed/ranked

any problem just ask and I will try and help

Comment

Originally posted by Maddog
              david

go here

http://www.webtoolcentral.com/webmaster/tools/

this site will help you make your "robot.txt" and explain all about it, also there some other great tools for helping to get your site listed/ranked

any problem just ask and I will try and help
              Thanks for the website.
              ::Steven.H::

Comment

thanks very much for you help - i didnt quite understand but i think i did it right :~

Comment

Originally posted by djdiamonds
                  thanks very much for you help - i didnt quite understand but i think i did it right :~
                  Not much to do other than copy to note pad save as robot.txt and the upload to you web site using FTP,

Also have a look at your meta tags, get this forum on changes to make.

The other part to help search bots is to have a sitemap, go to

will help you make what you need

Comment

thanks so much - you make it all seem so easy!! im almost certain i created a sitemap and i managed to create meta tags!! (hooray)

Comment

Hi Maddog,

Just used the free tool for robots file, this is what came back, it doesn't seem a lot, I expected a lot of code,

Paul

Here is what your robots.txt file should look like;

# Robots.txt file created by http://www.webtoolcentral.com
                      # For domain: http://www.superfastincome.com

# All robots will spider the domain
                      User-agent: *
                      Disallow:
                      Oscommerce sites : www.nutritionzone.co.uk
                      www.aromaskincare.co.uk
                      www.thebirthbox.com

Comment

Know what you mean Paul not alot to it, looks ok to me.

Comment

maddog

wouldn't the below robot text disallow robot to enter?

# Robots.txt file created by http://www.webtoolcentral.com
                          # For domain: http://www.superfastincome.com

# All robots will spider the domain
                          Disallow

I don't want to get it wrong, big penalties. My ranking are going well without it. I am pr3, but futher optimization is needed. thanks pet121

Comment

the * is not a wild card to disallow

here you would put the bots disallow, my understanding is blank means allow all

Comment

thanks maddog

Okay I understand but I am still getting these error messages. Out of 72 robots that visited my site only 17% actually found it. Its just weird. Thanks anyway pet121

Comment

Working...
                              X