Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions Needed on Navigation and Ease of use.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions Needed on Navigation and Ease of use.

Due to system crashes and my mistakes. My whole website was lost. I have completely rebuilt it. I need opinions and idea's on how to better improve it. Holidays are around the corner so I have been working non-stop for awhile with barely minimal sleep. Hoping now I can take a small break before I complete the Story's on books. I have also had to change shopping cart and php scripts. Input and more idea's welcomed. I believe the website is ready for others to purchase even though my stories are not complete. I have tried to keep all consistant but if there are errors please notify me. I want to make sure website works on all browsers especialy. Hope to hear from all of you. www.toysandbooks.net.
    Thanks "laindia"
    sigpic

Re: Opinions Needed on Navigation and Ease of use.

not much more to say than wow...

Comment

Actually, if you want sales, you need to spell check. The first thing I noticed was that coming was spelled comming. That would have meant my clicking off. In the first paragraph you spell license licence - and I believe you should be sayiing licensed in that instance.

Then I glanced at the first paragraph and saw only partial sentences in paragraph form. If you don't want to write sentences, use bullets or another means than paragraphs. And I'd stop capitalizing words that aren't at the beginning of a sentence or proper nouns. If those words are worth emphasizing, how about using bold or another color?

The following: Lets child know there special and loved
      should be: Lets child know they're special and loved

I think your main task right now is spelling, grammar and sentence structure. You are selling books - and, believe me, they won't want your books, if they see mistakes on your website (and the se's will notice all these mistakes also).

I went to look at some of the books and as soon as the first opened in a new window, I quit looking. That needs to be changed for pages within your own site.

BTW, the design and layout look really good.

In another thread you asked about adding banners, etc to your home page. I think that would be a mistake and again takes away your credibility and professionalism. Unless the banner is something that really compliments what you have, I don't suggest it. Same with ads. Do you want to sell your products or send someone to google or elsewhere for a few cents on a rare occasion?

Don't get me wrong - ads are great - on affiliate sites, etc - but not on your own sales site - except on a links/resources page - and in rare occasions, on individual pages for specific items that compliment your own items and really make sense.
      Beth
      A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
      SEO - The Basics

Comment

Originally posted by Bethers
        Actually, if you want sales, you need to spell check. The first thing I noticed was that coming was spelled comming. That would have meant my clicking off. In the first paragraph you spell license licence - and I believe you should be sayiing licensed in that instance.

Then I glanced at the first paragraph and saw only partial sentences in paragraph form. If you don't want to write sentences, use bullets or another means than paragraphs. And I'd stop capitalizing words that aren't at the beginning of a sentence or proper nouns. If those words are worth emphasizing, how about using bold or another color?

I think your main task right now is spelling, grammar and sentence structure. You are selling books - and, believe me, they won't want your books, if they see mistakes on your website (and the se's will notice all these mistakes also).

I went to look at some of the books and as soon as the first opened in a new window, I quit looking. That needs to be changed for pages within your own site.

In another thread you asked about adding banners, etc to your home page. I think that would be a mistake and again takes away your credibility and professionalism. Unless the banner is something that really compliments what you have, I don't suggest it. Same with ads. Do you want to sell your products or send someone to google or elsewhere for a few cents on a rare occasion?

Don't get me wrong - ads are great - on affiliate sites, etc - but not on your own sales site - except on a links/resources page - and in rare occasions, on individual pages for specific items that compliment your own items and really make sense.
        Thank you Bethers. And your right. I do need to check my spelling. I'll try to get all this correct within the next couple of days. And I understand about the links popping up in a new window. I wanted them to open in same. For some reason soho doesn't have this option. I might have to re-design that portion if soho doesn't get back to me in there forum on another site about this. I will probably re-word the links somehow so people will understand to go to menue links which do open in same browser. Thanks so much. I will follow your advice
        sigpic

Comment

When I designed in soho all my links opened in the same window - but same isn't what it's called, how about self - you might have selected the wrong option -because, if I remember correctly, they automatically open in the same window unless you select another option.

If you don't get an answer - ask KarenMac there or here - she has a store in Soho and will probably have the answer.
          Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
          SEO - The Basics

Comment

Your site is perfect, i love it. In fact i might order a book for my kids. All pages came up quickly and i'm on dial up! The only thing that fooled me slightly was the statement "click on books for more details" and underneath this is a gif image of a pile of books, i tried clicking on this without success, then realsied you actually meant click on the individual books titles. I'd get rid of the book pile so you dont confuse the mentally challenged like myself. Agree with Bethers dont stick adds on because it will detract from your product. As a potential customer i'd like to have seen more prints of the actual pages, i know you give the story which is great but I presume its not in the format shown(I assume its like the extract on the home page). Best sales site i've seen on BV well done Do you deliver overseas?
            www.glidingcomp.com

Comment

When I designed in soho all my links opened in the same window - but same isn't what it's called, how about self - you might have selected the wrong option -because, if I remember correctly, they automatically open in the same window unless you select another option.

If you don't get an answer - ask KarenMac there or here - she has a store in Soho and will probably have the answer.
              They upgraded soho. I noticed that feature isn't there like it use to be. It is if I upload photo only. But I'm using text editor for the html properties. When I load a photo through there. There's no option. Bummers. Either way. I figured out the html and am doing the changes now on the links. Once completed. I'll work on the text next. All links should work within a few hours to where a different window doesn't open. Your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MrCirrus
                Your site is perfect, i love it. In fact i might order a book for my kids. All pages came up quickly and i'm on dial up! The only thing that fooled me slightly was the statement "click on books for more details" and underneath this is a gif image of a pile of books, i tried clicking on this without success, then realsied you actually meant click on the individual books titles. I'd get rid of the book pile so you dont confuse the mentally challenged like myself. Agree with Bethers dont stick adds on because it will detract from your product. As a potential customer i'd like to have seen more prints of the actual pages, i know you give the story which is great but I presume its not in the format shown(I assume its like the extract on the home page). Best sales site i've seen on BV well done Do you deliver overseas?
                I'm having to rebuild site. Taken me a couple days to work on. And am using everybody's idea's. I will be changing the wordings on them clicks and links. I do ship to APO address's if military. I am working on using my license to ship all over the world in different languages. As for add-on's. I only wanted to add, vodahost affiliate link, and script with missing children from missingchildren.org. Not outside sales. Other than voda. Thanks. Will follow your advice as well as bethers.
                sigpic

Comment

Hi and thanks again. I tried to follow your advice. Did some changes. I really like your input. straight to the point. haha. I'm still working on site but made a few changes that you recomended and checked my spelling error's. I'm sure I still have more spelling error's and will go through each page and double check. You have some good idea's. My own kids told me clicking on photo of books are lots easier since there on dial-up. No more extra pages. Thank You. As always your idea's are always welcomed.
                  sigpic

Comment

You're welcome - and please, just remember, as straight to the point as I am, I only mean it for the good - takes too long to sugarcoat everything - and you've got a great site and product - I want to see it do well for you.
                    Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                    SEO - The Basics

Comment

You're welcome - and please, just remember, as straight to the point as I am, I only mean it for the good - takes too long to sugarcoat everything - and you've got a great site and product - I want to see it do well for you.
                      Thank you. And no. I don't need no sugercoating. haha. I like it straight to the point. Makes it easier for me. By the way. You have some nice websites yourself. I want a piñata. I'll be throwing a Birthday Party for my Grandson in December. He likes Car themes. So I'll look through your site more when I'm done getting the basic's of my website.
                      sigpic

Comment

Best advice available is Listen to Bethers. Can't go wrong there and candy coating is not good for you anywhere you find it. Like your site and hope you have great sucess with it. Couldn't help but notice, you haven't corrected the spellingi.e. COMMING.
                        Choco777
                        www.mayatabasco.com

Comment

Awww, Choco, you make me blush - ty kind sir - and you know that your advice is always good and to the point also.

Lainda, if you look on here - I posted a link to a discount for forum members on my two "palace" sites - make sure you find and use it - it's good till the end of the year.
                          Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                          SEO - The Basics

Comment

Originally posted by choco777
                            Best advice available is Listen to Bethers. Can't go wrong there and candy coating is not good for you anywhere you find it. Like your site and hope you have great sucess with it. Couldn't help but notice, you haven't corrected the spellingi.e. COMMING.
                            Darn. Ok. Will go change it in the A.M. And thank you very much.
                            sigpic

Comment

Lainda,

You still have lots of mispellings on the home page, I dont know if youve started changing them or not. I would also capitalize English and Spanish and maybe even bold them for emphasis!

I just put a text link on my home page at the very bottom and called it, Powered by Vodahost, and put it to my affiliate link. Just a thought for you if you arent into the customization!

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                              1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                              02036089024 / United Kingdom
                              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Working...
                              X