Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sitemaps

Hello All

Much as been said about the important of a sitemap for search programs and there are load of program out ther to make the map for you( however still think its best to do your own)

A good site map will help the robots got through your site, even better is to have xml file of your site, most robort look for this to map your site, but what if you don't know how to make a xml file?

then check this site out, does most of the work for you and its free!!!

www.bluevodaexchangelink.com
    BluevodaExchangeLink Help Center
    Bluevodaexchangelink Forum

The only place for bluevoda site to be linked with!

Found an excellent free tool for creating the xml file, really easy to upload too.

http://www.vigos.com/products/gsitemap/

Question for Maddog please,

Once the sitemap.xml file has been uploaded do you actually have to include it as a button or hyperlink on the actual website or can it stay obscured from view. Displaying the code on a live page doesn't look too good.

Paul
    Oscommerce sites : www.nutritionzone.co.uk
    www.aromaskincare.co.uk
    www.thebirthbox.com

Comment

nope you just place in the main public folder, the sreach robots will look for it and do what they do!

cool link thanks for that Paul

Comment

hi, me again!! i was just wandering how to upload a sitemap to the root of my site? because i cannot submit it to google as everytime i try it says my sitemap doesnt exist!!

Comment

Originally posted by djdiamonds
          hi, me again!! i was just wandering how to upload a sitemap to the root of my site? because i cannot submit it to google as everytime i try it says my sitemap doesnt exist!!
          Save it in notepad as a .xml file (www.yourdomain/sitemap.xml) if you are using BlueVoda then save it in the file there.

Now you need to ftp it (use the Bluevoda one) to the root directory ie, /public_html (this will come up automatically in Bluevoda FTP) and it's done.

If it's an addon domain and not your main one it would be

/public_html/yourother
          www.aromaskincare.co.uk
          www.thebirthbox.com

Comment

sorry last bit, when you have done that go to Google sitemaps and your domain there ie

www.yourdomain/sitemap.xml

The reason why Google is probably saying it doesn't recognise it, is that you need it as a .xml file.

I just got my site registered really quickly using this method. Some say that Google doesn't use this as a way of registering websites, well I disagree.
            www.aromaskincare.co.uk
            www.thebirthbox.com

Comment

thanks for your help but i have already tried to copy it to a notepad and save it as an xml file. I also tried to save it as www.davidjoffediamonds.com/sitemap.xml but that doesnt work as it says the name is invalid. I have also tried to save it in a public place but it still doesnt work! I really dont know why i cannot do this seemingly simple task?

Comment

ok sorry for all the drama - i managed to work out where i was going wrong!! thank you SO much for all your help, i really appreciate it!!!

Comment

help - please

Can anyone tell me why, when I use a sitemap generator, it does not pick up all the pages on my site? I have about 50 pages, yet it only picks up 20! Any answers?
                  Trish
                  www.Limebrook.com
                  www.MountainWalk.co.uk
                  www.MyBeardedDragons.co.uk
                  www.TucsonForBeginners.com
                  www.Pets4kids.info

Comment

Add them by hand!

first copy one section of html code that describes a single page. Then
                    paste it back in to your sitemap......then change the title and description to
                    match a page that the sitemap software did not pick up.

Now add all the pages that the sitemap software missed the first time.....then re-run the sitemap software and you should have a complete list of your
                    site.

Then copy it from the software and paste it in your sitemap that's on your ISP. veiwing it in your browser to see the changes.

Charles Raines
                    www.rusticmade.com

Originally posted by limebrook1
                    Can anyone tell me why, when I use a sitemap generator, it does not pick up all the pages on my site? I have about 50 pages, yet it only picks up 20! Any answers?

Comment

I am a caveman and need help

How exactly does one save from the notepad to an xml file. In regards to sitemaps. When I copy and paste the site map to notepad it only lets me save it as a txt file. I am missing something here? I intereted in the sitemap and would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks pet121

Comment

Originally posted by pet121
                        How exactly does one save from the notepad to an xml file. In regards to sitemaps. When I copy and paste the site map to notepad it only lets me save it as a txt file. I am missing something here? I intereted in the sitemap and would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks pet121
                        click save as then put in the xml ext, i.e. sitmap.xml

Comment

maddog

I do this but shows it as being an error. It seem it can only save as txt file?

Comment

maddog

I figured it out not bad for a caveman. I thank you for the useful information you are an important asset to this forum. I have used your insights and knowledge several times. Thanks pet121

Comment

Help

Originally posted by djdiamonds
                              thanks for your help but i have already tried to copy it to a notepad and save it as an xml file. I also tried to save it as www.davidjoffediamonds.com/sitemap.xml but that doesnt work as it says the name is invalid. I have also tried to save it in a public place but it still doesnt work! I really dont know why i cannot do this seemingly simple task?

I've tried to save it, but it syas I can't use / as a character to save a document. What can I do?

Comment

Working...
                              X