(dot) in an email address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (dot) in an email address

Should I be able to put a . (dot) in an email address?

e.g.
    my.name@domain.com

I'm using Outlook Express. name@domain.com sends and receives but my.name@domain.com only receives.

Interesting.

My email address has a dot in it, maybe thats why I could never get it setup properly with Outlook Express.

Hopefully someone else knows the answer to this. I don't think a dot could mess it up, but you never know.
    ::Steven.H::

Comment

Re: (dot) in an email address

Not sure. What a great question.

Comment

Hay,
        How do you get to move up on the millatery scale? ie. captan-corporal-private?

Comment

Originally posted by thetilemanoflasvegas View Post
          Hay,
          How do you get to move up on the millatery scale? ie. captan-corporal-private?
          By participating in the forums. As you ask and learn, you will notice your rank rising, as you become more knowledgeable, you may start answering the questions of others, thus increasing your rank further.

As to your first question, from Wickipedia:

According to RFC 2822, the local-part of the address may use any of these ASCII characters:
          • Uppercase and lowercase letters
          • The digits 0 through 9
          • The characters ! # $ % * / ? | ^ { } ` ~ & ' + - = _
          • The character . provided that it is not the first nor last character in the local-part, nor may it appear two or more times consecutively.

Notwithstanding the addresses permitted by these standards, some systems impose more restrictions on email addresses, both in email addresses created on the system and in email addresses to which messages can be sent. Hotmail, for example, only allows creation of email addresses using alphanumerics, dot (.), underscore (_) and hyphen (-), and will not allow sending mail to any email address containing ! # $ % * / ? | ^ { } ` ~. [citation needed]
          The domain name is much more restricted. The dot separated domain labels are limited to "letters, digits, and hyphens drawn from the ASCII character set ... Mailbox domains are not case sensitive."

It may depend on your system.

Comment

Working...
          X