PDA

View Full Version : Publishing my website

Dory
11-04-2006, 12:16 AM
Again it seems like i'm asking a stupid question, but every step of this process is new to me, I'm really shocked that i've managed to get this far.

When i publish my site do i do it one page at a time, I have 6 pages i want to publish?

Also I have a contact page with an action page, will they come together after i have published them.

I hope this all makes sense.

Many Thanks
Dory

Capturedeleganceonline.com

davidundalicia
11-04-2006, 12:34 AM
Hi Dory,
Publish your index page first and then any other pages, 1 at a time.

publish your contact page but you will have to look at the ftp tutorial so that
you can ftp your action page (php page).

Keep on asking questions because thats the only way that most of us here have learned..................

have fun

Dory
11-04-2006, 01:54 AM
Thanks for the reply David, I have published all my pages and they all seem fine apart from the contactme page it is coming up with this:

Http 404 page not found.

Also the lay out on my laptop is right but is not on my husbands, on his the navigation bars are on top of the Captured Elegance Text on all the pages.
Do you know why it's doing that?
Many Thanks
Dory

davidundalicia
11-04-2006, 02:14 AM
Dory, you need to check your spelling on the contact page(or the link) and re-publish it.

On the matter of your nav bar:
I think it may be too close to the large text above it. try moving the nav bar down a little. Its also happening in my browser as well (Opera)

BTW: all your links seem to be working fine.....you have made a good start....NOW the work really begins......

have fun

Dory
11-04-2006, 02:42 AM
I have checked all the spelling on the contactme page and link, ive republished and its still showing error 404

Dory

capturedeleganceonline.com

Dory
11-04-2006, 02:51 AM
I have also noticed that the font isn't right on all the text apart from the nav bars. It is meant to be French Vogue and on my previews it shows up as that and on my laptop it does too, but not on my hubbys laptop it has reverted to ariel.

Can anyone help me with that?

Many Thanks Dory

Also why doesn't my address above come up as a link?

Bethers
11-04-2006, 02:56 AM
That is a font that most computers don't have stored in the computer - you need to always use a web friendly font - there aren't a lot of them - otherwise the person's computer will use their own default font.

Your address can't come up as a link if you don't put the www. in front of it.

Can you give us the name, exactly as it is saved in your bv file for the contact page? Is it possible you saved it differently than you are typing it here or have it as the link on the store?

Bethers
11-04-2006, 03:00 AM
okies, I found your contact page - it's contactme.php not contactme.html

And you need to correct the overlap on that page also.

BTW, you aren't asking for a site review here - but I would never see any of your home page pictures or most of your site because you made the header take up almost my entire screen. If you want to sell your product, you need those pictures to be on the opening screen.

Dory
11-04-2006, 03:04 AM
It is http://www.capturedeleganceonline.com/contactme.html

Is there anywhere that i can find a list of computer friendly fonts?

publish your contact page but you will have to look at the ftp tutorial so that
you can ftp your action page (php page).

I have watched the tutorial, but i am still not sure what he means by that quote, can you help?

Thank you Beth, your always there when i need you...

www.capturedeleganceonline.com

Bethers
11-04-2006, 03:13 AM
You missed my 2nd post - your contact page is NOT as you posted but IS:

http://www.capturedeleganceonline.com/contactme.php

Notice the .php - that's where your error is.

Here's a pretty good list of the common fonts:
http://www.ampsoft.net/webdesign-l/WindowsMacFonts.html

Dory
11-04-2006, 04:23 AM
Thank you Beth, I've sorted the contact page and the action page is connected.

I'm sorting out the over lapping and have moved the pictures up, so hopefully it will be all together soon.

Any helpful suggestions are very welcome...

Again thank you for all you help, I will post a thread on the reviews thread when i'm all together.

Many Thanks
Rachel (dory)