This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do i need ssl

one of my clients one an online registration form in which he wants this registration name and all details of the registrant and also with credit card number and so on... do i need SSL for this so that all the data would be secured. i hope hackers cannot hack in the vodahost servers?

do i need SSL for this simple registration?
    nhugu.com - We are professional solution providers to facilitate in your corporate, business, official and personal presence in the web.

Re: do i need ssl

Hackers hack your form, not the server, so if you are collecting cc numbers etc then you would be advised to use ssl.
    I for one would never enter my personal details (credit card No etc) unless I knew that I was dealing with a secure method of payment.
    Have fun
    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
    Newbies / Beginners Forum
    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

but in order to use ssl you will need a dedicated server.
      "Jim"

Hillbilly Electronics LLC

Comment

Any private information needs to be done on a secure page - therefore the SSL and dedicated lines.
        Beth
        A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
        SEO - The Basics

Comment

You should look at this 2-post thread for the some real information to be aware of regarding SSL and General VodaHost's link provided to see your clear options: http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/rev...r-website.html

>> There is still a lot of mis-inderstanding about SSL, and this should point out some facts and offer solutions......That was easy!
          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

thankx for all the replies, but can i have an SSL certificate in my vodahost account, is vodahost a dedicated server?

i am thinking of having a third party to do all the credit card processing so in that case do i need an SSL certificate?
            nhugu.com - We are professional solution providers to facilitate in your corporate, business, official and personal presence in the web.

Comment

"Third party processing" is a red flag for anyone in business, as a vendor, and as a processor.
              This may not be an option according to agreements with processing providers and platforms, especially in today's security-minded environment, and SSL is by no means a guarantee that you will be able to perform your "business model" as you dreamed. (SSL is an "assurance" indicator, not a permission)

Rather than get hung up with dedicated servers and how that figures into SSL certs, you need to get your facts straight on transactional policies, and if you know where you are headed.......in my lowly opinion, of course!

Comment

Originally posted by naghosthunter
                but in order to use ssl you will need a dedicated server.

NOT CORRECT.
                You do not need a dedicated server to use a ssl, any VodaHost customer can use a ssl.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                02036089024 / United Kingdom
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

hmm well i was lied to cause i was trying to look for ssl for my site and the place that had ssl states you must have a dedicated server thanks vodahost for correcting me. so i do apologize for my wrong input i retract my statement and ask to be humbly forgiven . :)

so how does one go about by getting their CSR to get their ssl if it's not required to have a dedicated server?

thanks jim
                  "Jim"

Comment

Click the below for SSL 's, we will handle everyhting including CSR's, dedicated IP's and full Installation.

www.vodahost.com/ssl.htm

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

thank buddy oh and i stand corrected i meant dedicated ip not server.
                      "Jim"

Comment

hello everyone,

i have check the following link http://www.vodahost.com/ssl.htm and have gone through the detail too.

but i have this question, one of my clients wants an online registration form for an event, and people registering online pay through credit card. so, i guess there must be something like credit card processing and all kinda stuff.

now here is the twist, since it is a year-round event what the website owner has to do is deduct certain membership fees time and again from the members through the credit card. how can it be dont automatically?

i'm confused

Comment

Sameer,

Depending on who your processor is, not your merchant account bank, but the processor ie: authorize.net for example, you can set up recurring billing thru them for a fee, where you periodically charge for subscriptions etc as what I think you are describing fits that category. So once they sign up and you have confirmation, then you can rebill thru authorize.net(if they are who u use) for those fees. Different processors have different requirements so find answers to those questions before you sign up for your account.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Originally posted by sameer
                            hello everyone,i'm confused
                            OBVIOUSLY!

Sameer.....

I have a feeling you have good intentions, and are trying to offer professional services to your "clients" (which you list by name on your website, but do not offer anything to see as far as waht you have actually accomplished), but it my personal opinion formed from all of your other posts (which ask the most basic questions repeatedly, and ignorantly of how to even find the simplest of answers yourself) that you might possibly be in over your head.

Your understanding of how to conduct business online is far-fetched to say the least. It is NOT common to process credit cards on a "third-party" basis, even if you have a brick-and-mortar store.....in fact, most credit card processors strictly forbid the practice, and consider it illegal activity!

Your earlier inability to comprehend simple answers to your posts indicates a possible language gap (most likely), but also points out the fact that your true comprehension of how to design, operate, and PLAN a website is severely mis-calculated. It also points out a possible situation that might endanger your account at VodaHost: if you are creating websites for "clients" and hosting them in your account, you would be in violation of the Terms of Service for your VodaHost account, as you are not permitted to "resell" hosting or "shares" of hosting via your account whasoever!

Now that you have gotten past the understanding of how to "secure" a website with the use of an SSL certificate, and what that consists of, and are exploring how to conduct transactions.....it is obvious that you do not know how the system works in the least. I fear that you are going to make a serious mistake if you are not totally familiar with the standards of conduct with regard to use of credit cards online (and every other method of payment) and how to actually set up the process so it will both comply with the restrictions applicable to your site (and it needs be YOUR site) and be functional. This familiarity comes only by studying the requirements of the Processors you are considering to handle your transactions, and any other Banking laws you may be subject to (NEPAL, CHINA, etc.). Your client should have an official account already, and their bank should be the first ones you should approach to learn of how to properly deposit funds to that account, and under what protocols. (Every country has different rules, and many of your peers here in VodaLand lack even establish basic level, let alone advanced business knowledge, let alone international banking experience!) In other words, YOU HAVE TO DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK. Posting questions in an open forum without bothering to perform even a Keyword Search to pull up earlier discussions that will undoubtedly have the solutions you are seeking is beyond rude....it is extremely annoying.

If you are hoping to develop a website for another that will be capable of transacting payments in an approved and compliant manner, I suggest you explore either the Soholaunch website builder or the Cube Cart, both of which are available Free with your VodaHost account. Do your due diligence by going through all the video tutorials to discover the different features and how you might configure them to your particular needs. You might even wish to install one temporarily to try your hand using it until you feel confident enough to delete your "practice version" and re-install it to configure a "real version" accordingly.

And...again...IF you are intending to "host" client websites in your VodaHost account, the only allowable way to do this is fully described HERE. Any other means is stricly forbidden. I hope you understand this completely.

I personally think you would be better off completely defining your needs in a website on paper, then quietly evaluating the available technologies available here at VodaHost before you take further steps. This will require you to investigate all the rules and requirements you need to be aware of as you construct your business, which more often than not, truly dictate HOW you proceed, and WITH WHAT technology you need to accomplish your goal.

"Plan Your Work, Work Your Plan!"

Remember: You are the one who needs to do the work. We can only assist you when you stumble.....we can't be expected to be your entire resource!

I do not intend to be harsh with you, but it seems as if you are continuing in the wrong direction (despite earlier criticisms).
                            I am only trying to give you a clue as to how best to proceed....

In My Opinion

Comment

well vasili,

i'm new to credit card payments online and if my client want's something on his website, why should i lose the client just because i don't know how to do this stuff. if i can find enough resource on the net and try to do it though some other third party (note: the third party is just for the secure online registration processing) then why not get the job done.

well, i'm not hesitant to tell u that my work is for nepalmarathon.com and yes they are my personal clinet i'm not reselling this to any other person. i'm well aware that i cann't resell my hosing plans to any third party and why should i.

and yes thanks for the quote, "Plan Your Work, Work Your Plan!"

this should realy apply to me. i only work 4 what i know, other stuff i try to search on the net. u c i play same :)

cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X