Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help... On the verge of tears...

Okay. Here is how the story goes...

1.) I am on the internet with my hp m7680y desktop, happily surfing. I have just finished installing vista, and xp pro on my laptop. Glad to be done.
    2.) I begin to try to connect to the workgroup that my desktop is on with my laptop.
    3.) I glance over at my desktop, and notice that dreaded icon, saying "limited or no connectivity".
    4.) I don't think much of it. I restart the computer, chang the way the cable is, bypass my router etc.
    5.) Curse windows.
    6.) Enter an online chat with hp. They tell me I need to reeinstall xp, completely deleting all of my files (of course cause I have to reformat)
    7.) Curse the technitian
    8.) Call hp
    9.) Do system restore. No luck
    10.) do a non-destructive reinstall of xp. No such luck.
    11.) I am now here, wondering what to do.

I have about 300 gigs worth of files on my computer. I just went through the process of backing up my laptop, so that I could partition it 3 times, one for vista, one for xp pro, and one for my files. I am done with backing up. Tired of it. The desktop is new, just a few months old. The internet won't work at all. No matter how I attemt to connect to the internet, it says limited or no connectivity, and 100 mb/s. I have tried my laptop on the same hardline, and i works just fine. I am posting this message on the same internet as the one that the desktop says is not here. The desktop doesn't even see the residential gateway, or router if you will.

What do I do to get it back? All of the service technitians have said do a complete reinstall. I have 300 friggin gigs of data! I don't want to sit around and burn dvd after dvd! Please, help me. I am so frustrated. I have been working on all sorts of computer issues for about a day and a half now, minimal sleep, and eating at the computer. What do I do?

Thanks in advance.

(p.s. I have searched google)

Re: Help... On the verge of tears...

One option is to take your PC to a shop and ask them to make a back-up of the hard drive for you. While you might lose some data, a lot might be recovered.
    Bill
    www.blueearthtea.com
    www.ftaaconsulting.com
    www.iaval.com
    www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Try posting your question on this forum, these guys are pretty pretty knowledgeable, it's free advice and they may be able to help you .... I can feel your stress ..... good luck....

http://forums.techguy.org/

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

It almost sounds to me as if you are missing some drivers for your bridges...ie:PCI to ISA and CPU to PCI, along with your USB Host Controller, so its not reading these devices. If your disk has drivers on it, try installing them manually and see if it doesnt jump on it and repair those items.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Are you able to network your laptop and sektop together..?

Comment

Troubleshoot:

1. Make sure all your windows Networking Software is installed. Doing this by going to Add/Remove Programs
            next: Add/Remove windows Components
            next: Make sure Internet Gateway Devices and Client Control is installed.

Is it a wirless connection you are attempting?
            If so:

2. Make sure your Wireless Network Card Driver is Installed.
            go to: Start - right click on MY COMPUTER click PROPERTIES click Hardware Click DEVICE MANAGER then look to see if there is an X or a ! sign on the Network Device.

If so Install Driver.

If not Wirless check you Device Drivers anyways. Because after OS installation you have to Insatall most drivers that dont come with Windows XP

Comment

If drivers seem to be alright, try reinstalling them. Or updating for instance

Vista may need special drivers seperate that of XP, go to the Device Makers site and download updated Drivers for Vista Windows.

For instance if you have a Belkin Networking Card go to Belkin.com and download the Vista Windows driver for the card... You can find out what type of Card you Have by going to Device Manager like I previously stated.

\m/
              Sadian

Comment

Working...
              X