index page question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• index page question

hopefully this is the right location to place this question. i've just put three pages of what will eventually be my website on the server, the first page (home page) is my index page. when i check them out via a search (so far google and yahoo) the link says "index". question: in what manner do i change this so that none of my pages online are referred to as the index page? site url: http://www.guitar-dog.com, thanks in advance.

Re: index page question

the only place it should be called index is where you name it to store it. But the title on the page can be anything you want - right click on page properties and put whatever you want in the title.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

bethers, thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. i think maybe i didn't ask the it correctly. realizing i can name a page through its properties, what i've found is that when doing a search of my site, the link on the search results page (google, yahoo) lists it as follows: "index of/". i thought that when changing the page properites the link would change too (to the page title in page properties). what haven't i done in order to prevent this from occurring? cheers, and again thanks!

Comment

Hi Dprino..

Your pages will eventually appear with the name you have in your page properties. Search Engines and Directories may however take a little time to update and re-index your updated pages. There is nothing you can do to change this I'm afraid.

If you type in your url in the address bar, the updated version will be displayed, even when you click on the link in search results, the updated version of your page will appear, but the listing itself can only be updated when search engines re-crawl and index your pages again.. this may take a few days or a couple of weeks.. they update at different times.

Comment

And, even after they update, there is no telling exactly WHAT the se's will use to describe you. Remember, they can pull any text from within the page. Some use the meta description, but Google is more likely to pick text from the page itself.
          Beth
          A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
          SEO - The Basics

Comment

eeks! but that does clear things up and i thank the both of you very much.

Comment

Working...
            X