• Show
Clear All

• Is it too girly?

www.tallydocs.com

Thanks,

Karen

Re: Is it too girly?

Super-big "no-no's" hit me right away:

1. NEVER list out a personal cell phone number (there are literally countless ways to mess you up here) Go to communikate.com to find out how to get a toll-free number for only $35/month with no charges for minutes.... you can forward calls to your cell (if you wish) for only $ 0.07/per minute, which is the lowest you'll find nationwide for ANY carrier .... and that is only for forwarded calls (the next lowest is from Qwest @ .12 minute with a $79/mo plan that requires a 1200 minute minimum)

2. ALWAYS conceal your Home address at least on an interior Contact page, but especially in this line of business. You should seriously think about spending $45/yr. for a PO Box at the local Post Office -- too many nuts running around to put your family up front, don't you think? i.e. a messed-up spouse looking for revenge for an adoption gone bad, etc.....

3. If you are seriously attempting to engage professionally in this market, your site should look the part. In my opinion, so far it looks like it was done "s****book style", and does not create the warm and fuzzy feelings for either "family/adoption/children" or "professional/credible/capable" .... Try using clean, simple layout lines, simple and cool backgrounds, no more than 3 colors, and let the Content "pop" instead of the hodge-podge of images and busy-bee colors/patterns? You have something extraordinary to communicate, so give it the importance it deserves! >> Check out some of the really neat Free Templates for Blue Voda that make it easy to lay out a professional looking website: Browse Templates

4. Your presentation of Forms (especially a legal/formal form) should be presented as part of an interior page, and preferrably as a printable PDF document (so it can't be edited/changed, and thereby create a liability for you as a "responsible source" ---check Florida State Policy on this for exact compliance). There are many ways to provide both an upload and downloads using Blue Voda, and even more for PDF's. Personally, I would provide a link for visitors to download the PDF directly from the State, for confidence, assurance of legality, and for other reasons....acting as a professional resource can win over many a hesitant heart!

5. Unless you are selling your own family's experience as a means of credibility building (are you that popular?), I would stick to generic photos to communicate the service or opportunity you are publishing....again, why put your likeness out there unless you and your family can take the risks?

I may have come across like a bag of hammers, but this is clearly full of present dangers as far as I can see.
    Having built/designed many a professional website (not all here at VodaHost, folks!), I am familiar with a lot of nuances that can make or break a concept, but this first effort of yours goes beyond the basic parameters that have been drawn long ago.....still in my opinion.

Give it all some serious thought, and simply make a few changes to refine a wonderful concept into a smashing website!
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Karen: Wow, you have put some work into this website. To answer your question, yes, I think it is to girly. This looks like a personal family website to me and not one that would be used to promote a business. Vasilli knows his stuff and I would heed his suggestions. I think putting your family out there with all of your personal information is a big risk. You have a very beautiful website but I personally feel it is not suitable for a business site. Please don't be discouraged and keep working and have fun! I really admire you for adopting. If I wasn't so old and already a grandmother, I would love to adopt! You have a beautiful family! Good luck to you.
      Cindy Smentowski

Comment

Yes, Karen please take your personal details off the front page. Please listen to Vasili
        Regards
        Royden

www.harrow-art.com
        www.harrow.co.za

Comment

Hi Karen

I too agree with Vasili. If you didn't want to spend the money for phone as suggested, consider the use of one of Naval forms, only revealing your telephone number once you feel safe with a transaction. I feel you have given far too much information as to who you and your family are, especially in this business, very dangerous. Consider too, ID protecting your website, for $9.95/year, this way your information will not be found by checking your domain name as well. All of this will be well worth your security for you and your family.

I agree with Cindy, it is too girly looking, but really to me I kept looking for a quilt to purchase. That is not your business, perhaps show more of what it is you do, that being the courier side of adoption, show the need for speed to take away anxiety from your clients, etc.

I know you have put in alot of work, but you the further work you will do now will be your security and the promotion of what it is you do in a better light. And yes, pdf forms are a must for this.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          1-302-283-3777 North America / International
          02036089024 / United Kingdom
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Forgive me... maybe this is an American thing that we have not heard of over here in the UK but I have no idea what your site is about. Courier Adoption?? You send children to families by Fed Ex??
            Unless this is just something that maybe we haven't cottoned on to over here yet you need to let people visiting the site know what it's about without having to spend hours looking around. It's a lovely site, and well laid out but I need to know the second I go onto the home page what it is exactly you do

Sorry

Ramsey
            Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

If your numbers are unlisted, or you don't say they are personal on the site, no one will know the difference between a home or business number. I have a cell number specifically for my business and use it online with no problems. I also have had my business number which included a home address published in so many publications over the last 20+ years that I don't have the fear of home addresses and numbers being out there. However, for security purposes, you'd be smart to listen to Vasili and others who suggest you use another address or a PO Box.

As for the site, it is a little busy and needs to be more focused so that people know exactly what is what. I don't find it too "girly" but the background keeps me from being able to see the page.

Good luck.
              Beth
              A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
              SEO - The Basics

Comment

Karen

Try Gosolo.com. For 15 bucks a month you get a 1800, internet fax and recieve, confrencing, all kinds of mock office features. Call forwarding and more. Ive used them over 2 years. I can turn on call forwarding when i want calls and turn it off when i dont.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                02036089024 / United Kingdom
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

I think you need a line or two near your heading to state your business. I can see you have spent much time in building your site but I believe many people wouldn't know what you do. I even tried to figure it out. Just a few statements could make a huge difference! Good luck!
                  ABC Gardiner

Comment

Working...
                  X