password protected area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• password protected area

I am trying to password protect one area of a website. My idea was to password protect the entry page and then mask/change the url of the other 14 pages in the set to have the same url as the password entry point.

For example: www.mydomain/password/index.htm - would be the entry point into the password area and then the other pages such as www.mydomain/password/fairphotos.htm would read in the address bar as www.mydomina/password/index.htm.

Does anyone know how I can mask the other webpages in the folder to look the same as my password entry page? At the moment I can either password prortect every page in the set (verrrrryyyyyy tedious!) OR only passwrod protect the entry page and have people bookmark pages in the section.

Any ideas MUCH appreciated!
    engnor

Re: password protected area

why not put all your pages that you want to protect in the password protected directory that you make .... there are several threads on doing this,if you go to search at the top of the forum here and type in password protect directory you will find instructions, all the pages you place in there will be password protected.....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

you do not password protect pages, you password protect a directory, Click the below...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

If the URL is not clear, you cannot bookmark the pages. Also, even if the page url doesn't appear (making use of an iframe in the entry page f.e., and opening the other pages in the frame) on the browser address bar, it will still be visible both in your navigation buttons, and in the page html.
        Navaldesign
        Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Hi.. I wish to create an.. Invited only- Password entry "Hearing Room" would the protocol in the tutorial featured here allow me to do this.. Thanks Doug

Comment

Yes Doug, it can be done. You password protect a folder, and you mail your "invited" guests the username and password that they need to use in order to gain access. The other way, would to use a loggin script like this one.
            Navaldesign
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Engnor:
              You can password protect a folder/directory
              and then ALL the pages within that folder will only be accessible
              to the people that you have given the password.

You could then extend this protection to yet another folder and protect that one also.(multi-level protection.)

As for bookmarks, If they have the password, then they have FULL access anyway.

You might want to have a look at this demo
              Just register first, and then Log in after you have confirmed your email address.............This system uses unique passwords for entry
              to the protected area.

have fun
              Have fun
              Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
              Newbies / Beginners Forum
              FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
              My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
              Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Hi Doug,
                you are now spoilt with choices, see also; this demo
                Have fun
                Regards..... David

Comment

Thanks David... I'll digest all the info and give it go... Doug

Comment

Ok. The BV way of doing the password protect through the C-Panel.. Works As Described.. but here's a few ???.. 1) Can I have more than one username and password going at the same time?? 2) If I can have more than one ..Can I track who's visited??? Hummm... Thanks Doug

Comment

Doing the Cpanel way, you can have as many usernames as you wish, but
                      only One password is in use at any one time.
                      This means that you have to notify everyone again if you change the password.
                      Whereas, if you have an automated log in, users choose their own passwords
                      which are then stored in the database.

With a PHP script, you could also log each user with date and time of visit
                      if you wished.............
                      Have fun
                      Regards..... David

Comment

Using the BV system is there away for me to know who has visited??
                        Thanks Doug

Comment

No Doug, there is no way. The BV password protected folders cannot offer such information. Our login script keeps track of members visiting, with date, time and IP address used.
                          Navaldesign

Comment

Ok Naval... thanks for everyones input... Doug

Comment

Hi Doug

I found something under Tips & Tricks that you might be able to use for what you are trying to do ...

It's a stats counter (can be invisible too) that looks as though it will do what you are looking for, it's free, etc.

You can find the counter here

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                              X