How to Redirect & Cloak a a url

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Redirect & Cloak a a url

Sometimes we want to redirect or cloak a url, the below code is very useful for these purposes.
    <META HTTP-EQUIV=Refresh CONTENT="0;URL=http://www.abc.com">
    1) Open up a new BlueVoda page
    2) Right mouse click on the blank page and select Page HTML
    3) Insert the above code "Between Head Tag" as shown below

4) Change the abc.com to your desired destination url
    5) Name, Save and Publish

Your Done!

I created a page called sunflower, you can call it whatever you like.When I uploaded sunflower to my public_html folder the end result was the below url.

www.vodahost.com/sunflower.html

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Re: How to Redirect &amp; Cloak a a url

Another use of the above code is redirecting 404 error pages.

1) Login to your control panel.
    2) Click Custom Error Pages
    3) Select 404 error
    4) Place the above code in the error box
    5) Change the abc.com to the desired destination url
    6) Click save

404 Error Page Tutorial

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

These globally announced "Logon Tips" are a wonderful addition to VodaTalk!

I know they can prove to be very useful to Users, and add the extra element of participation toward web building success that has made VodaHost so deservedly reknowned!
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

I'm gonna have to try this. thanks VH
        "Jim"

Hillbilly Electronics LLC

Comment

This is also a great way to cloak a affiliate link.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Hi,

I read your tip on redirecting and cloaking a url...........and was wondering, what on earth does that mean? you are sending the url page somewhere else, or in cognito? and what is the purpose for such a ruse?

Thanks, am learning something new every day on BV.

Mindy (www.bubbeesbeads.org)

Comment

Originally posted by bubbee21
              Hi,

I read your tip on redirecting and cloaking a url...........and was wondering, what on earth does that mean? you are sending the url page somewhere else, or in cognito? and what is the purpose for such a ruse?
              Thanks, am learning something new every day on BV. Mindy (www.bubbeesbeads.org)
              As hinted at above, whenever you wish to re-direct a visitor to another website or even a page on a website not normally available, you can use this "re-direct script" to make a seamless transition for visitors.

As General VodaHost mentioned, it is also useful when you have an Affiliate relationship, and you may have a hosted website that recieves your traffic, but you may not wish your visitors to know that it is not truly your website they arrive at..... for example: you have Widgets.com and do a lot of advertising to get customers to go to your widgets.com, but rather than try to design a super-duper site yourself, you have your widget manufacturer clone a site with your banner on top from his Affiliate program so you can appear to have the entire inventory to offer (a virtual inventory), and if you have a plain "index" page at your own widget.com with a re-direct script placed on it, every visitor will literally bounce off your site to the affiliate site without knowing the difference....

A re-direct is also particularly useful (as General VodaHosat also mentioned) when you prefer to avoid having error page messages appear by simply re-directing all inquiries for that page somewhere else. In this mention, a 404 error message means "Page Not Found", as if you have not yet pulished the page.....re-directing comes in handy, say, by having your "index" page published with all the links to pages that may not yet be complete, but if visitors click on that link, they could be re-directed to a generic message page or even back to the "index" page....in the meantime, you can be working on that not completed page "behind a screen" so to speak.

There are many ways to accomplish "directed navigation" with Blue Voda and websites in general, and they are all quite simple really! It is merely the fruits of undersatanding having focused on logic and linear (computer) thinking processes......you will undoubtedly get the hang of it quite soon, as every measure of progress built into Blue Voda is layered upon the precepts learned earlier.

and on you go!

Comment

here is an example of a custom error page:

http://www.electronics4dummies.com/lsfhlkdsfhkdvbkl bd,nvbd,jfhkdshfkjsdgfjksdgfdskbfkdfhgsdlkfhgskjdg fakjsgfkjasghfsydg

Comment

Ok.. does this also mean that I can use re-direction for a page name that is not registered?
                  I dont want to renew an old domain name registration, but I would want the visitors whenever they write this name into their browser, to be re-directed to a page that I will have prepared in my own site for this purpose. Can this be done, provided that noone else registers the name?
                  www.massagetherapy.gr

Comment

Originally posted by grecenet
                    Ok.. does this also mean that I can use re-direction for a page name that is not registered?
                    I dont want to renew an old domain name registration, but I would want the visitors whenever they write this name into their browser, to be re-directed to a page that I will have prepared in my own site for this purpose. Can this be done, provided that noone else registers the name?

I believe you must own the domain for which you would like to re-direct. It may be worth registering the domain for the year, redirecting from that, giving everyone the opportunity to bookmark the new addy.... just a thought.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Any re-direction involving a domain name is done via the server that domain name is parked. You must own (or have the right to set) the nameservers or redirection of service for every domain.
                      Interior redirection ("bouncing" off websites to another) is accomplished again, within a website that is associated with a domain you are legally entitled to manage.

Otherwise, wouldn't it be great to have the ability to redirect all of say, Walmart's traffic to MY store?? Might be able to get away with it for about 5 minutes (how much could we make in 5 minutes?) but would end up in jail for 5 years! LOLOL

Comment

lol vasili! thnx.
                        www.massagetherapy.gr

Comment

Parakalo!

Comment

Hi again, and thanks for your speedy reply, but your answer means nothing to me I'm afraid!
                            I will be using various soad sign images on my welcome page and need text to pop up when clicked or hovered over.

Many thanks

Comment

thanks everyone..this is very helpful...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
                              Nancy

www.theorganizedzone.com

Comment

Working...
                              X