Page Look and Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Page Look and Size

After spending hours and hours working on my site, I had an opportunity yesterday to see it on someone else's computer. I was surprised to see that it did not appear on their computer as it does on mine. Spacing looks way off. An obvious reason is that I have been building my site based on the way it fits my screen at home. My question is: I see on the page properties that you can select the page height and page width. Is there any "default" size that I should be working with so that the site appears the same on all computers? I know that if I were building straight html, I would likely use "center" codes, but with bv (which I love), I don't see where I have that option. Any help would be appreciated, as always. My site (so far) is www.lifeatfifty.com

Originally posted by Patti Johnson
    After spending hours and hours working on my site, I had an opportunity yesterday to see it on someone else's computer. I was surprised to see that it did not appear on their computer as it does on mine. Spacing looks way off. An obvious reason is that I have been building my site based on the way it fits my screen at home. My question is: I see on the page properties that you can select the page height and page width. Is there any "default" size that I should be working with so that the site appears the same on all computers? I know that if I were building straight html, I would likely use "center" codes, but with bv (which I love), I don't see where I have that option. Any help would be appreciated, as always. My site (so far) is www.lifeatfifty.com
    Ideally, you'd build to 600x800, that way everyone could view your site properly. Realistically, 800x600 is a good size to work within.

You can set your pages to automatically center in Page Properties > General > Center in browser.
    My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Thank you racefan... i never noticed the "center in browser option" before... I have set the page to 600 x 800, but now when I preview, all the content appears over too far to the right. Do I need to move my content around somehow to accommodate this size?

Thanks, Patti

Originally posted by racefan20
      Ideally, you'd build to 600x800, that way everyone could view your site properly. Realistically, 800x600 is a good size to work within.

You can set your pages to automatically center in Page Properties > General > Center in browser.

Comment

Thank you racefan... i never noticed the "center in browser option" before... I have set the page to 600 x 800, but now when I preview, all the content appears over too far to the right. Do I need to move my content around somehow to accommodate this size?

Thanks, Patti
        It requires quite a bit of rearranging to get a page to fit into that small an area, which is why I think 800x600 is a realistic parameter. It is the most common screen resolution and should bring you good results.

But in answer to your question, Yes, you have to move things around to get them to fit. Keep in mind, however, that the height of the page in this instance isn't as important as the width (people don't like to have to scroll sideways to browse a website).

The best way to go about it is to occassionally set your monitor resolution to the lower setting when previewing or publishing so you can get a solid idea what the pages will look like.
        My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Thanks racefan... moved some things around and published. Although it doesn't look centered on my computer, I guess it's right.

Thanks,
          Patti

It requires quite a bit of rearranging to get a page to fit into that small an area, which is why I think 800x600 is a realistic parameter. It is the most common screen resolution and should bring you good results.

But in answer to your question, Yes, you have to move things around to get them to fit. Keep in mind, however, that the height of the page in this instance isn't as important as the width (people don't like to have to scroll sideways to browse a website).

The best way to go about it is to occassionally set your monitor resolution to the lower setting when previewing or publishing so you can get a solid idea what the pages will look like.

Comment

It looks good! It's off center to the left on my end, but that's the way lots of sites look, so no worries there as far as I'm concerned. There is one link, the "Understanding Men's Passages . . ." one, that sticks out past your border a little, but that's easily remedied. I saw that little black line you've been asking about - have you tried just putting a white shape over that area?
            My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Page look

Hi racefan... thanks for checking my site. I have put in a ticket to bv and waiting to hear back from them on the black line. That's a good idea to put a white shape over that area. Hadn't thought of that. As far as the link that sticks out, what do I need to do to remedy that? Put in a hard return in the html code? I have had such a hard time putting html links into my content. Most links that I obtain from affiliate programs, come in html code, so I have no choice but to put the code in a little html box in bv. In order to line the small boxes up to match the content, I have to put the boxes in weird places (sometimes over existing text) to get them to appear in the right place once the page is saved and published. Seems there must be an easier way, but heck if I know, do you?

Appreciative as usual

Patti

It looks good! It's off center to the left on my end, but that's the way lots of sites look, so no worries there as far as I'm concerned. There is one link, the "Understanding Men's Passages . . ." one, that sticks out past your border a little, but that's easily remedied. I saw that little black line you've been asking about - have you tried just putting a white shape over that area?

Comment

Hi racefan... thanks for checking my site. I have put in a ticket to bv and waiting to hear back from them on the black line. That's a good idea to put a white shape over that area. Hadn't thought of that. As far as the link that sticks out, what do I need to do to remedy that? Put in a hard return in the html code? I have had such a hard time putting html links into my content. Most links that I obtain from affiliate programs, come in html code, so I have no choice but to put the code in a little html box in bv. In order to line the small boxes up to match the content, I have to put the boxes in weird places (sometimes over existing text) to get them to appear in the right place once the page is saved and published. Seems there must be an easier way, but heck if I know, do you?

Appreciative as usual

Patti
                At first blush, it seems that the easiest way to stop the link overlapping the border would simply be to shift the border to the right a little. Most of the time, it's possible to change the size of the text in the html code, so that may be a possibility for you as well. And I'll be honest - if there's any easier way to work with the html boxes, I sure haven't found it.
                My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Thanks racefan... perhaps someone will come up with an easier way to work with the html boxes...

At first blush, it seems that the easiest way to stop the link overlapping the border would simply be to shift the border to the right a little. Most of the time, it's possible to change the size of the text in the html code, so that may be a possibility for you as well. And I'll be honest - if there's any easier way to work with the html boxes, I sure haven't found it.

Comment

Working...
                  X