PDA

View Full Version : SEO Free E-Book

Bethers
11-19-2006, 01:52 AM
Quite a few of you have asked me for SEO tips. I've taken my beginners SEO ebook, updated it with new info from the latest SEO conference just held in Las Vegas and put it on my website.

Please feel free to use it.

SEO - The Basics - free ebook download (http://www.moxie-enter-prises.com/SEO-The-Basics.html)

Karen Mac
11-19-2006, 02:17 AM
Cool idea Beth! Thanks!

asirimarco
11-19-2006, 02:25 AM
thank you so much - it will be read and reread - were you in Vegas? if i'd know i'd bought you a cupa..
ann

Bethers
11-19-2006, 02:48 AM
Ann - I wasn't there - wish I had been - but I followed everything I could about what they were saying there!

This ebook really is just the basics - but it's a good start - thanks for the support.

karel
11-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Thanks Beth, sure it beats other books hands down.

LadyEye
11-19-2006, 01:22 PM
Beth

Thanks, that's super. It will undoubtedly help all for sure, and I'm thinking even you. You'll be able to turn some of your answers into just click here. Perhaps you should also make the same posting under tips .... again, thanks.

videoproduceronline
11-20-2006, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the link. It's always great to be up to par with SEO. I just got back from a Derek Gehl/IMC seminar specifically for the updated SEO info.

Cheers,

Scott Lundergan

Bruce Hewitt
11-21-2006, 08:09 AM
Great resource beth, how did you find the consultative selling e-book?

motoxxx
12-13-2006, 06:03 AM
Great ebook Beth. Maybe you and I can collaborate on some more SEO stuff to add to it.
One of the top SEO Gurus (a real one...not a self proclaimed one like some others we all know!) has been teaching me via web conferencing for the last several weeks about many things and just when I thought I knew about how to do effective SEO I get hit in the head with the stuff that this person says have never changed since he began doing SEO back in the day and is all still ver ykey today.....

I took a lesson that I had learned from him, designed a new website based on some lessons learned and published it.

With no backlinks I was able to get a brand new site up on the top of page 2 on MSN for hyper competetive search terms. Simply with site structure alone. Pretty amazing. The site is not pretty but it is fuctional and for the purposes of my test it was a huge success.

The bottom line with this is that a website is like an airplane. If all of the parts and systems work together in harmony, by the airplanes (websites )very design it will want to fly. If one system doesn't work properly, the website will not fly straight or not fly at all. The idea is to get all of the systems and elements to be a part of the exact same goal. The problem is that if you break any of the rules of physics (or webste design) or one system fails, the rules of gravity take over and it crashes. If all elements works as they should and the design is solid, it will want to fly all by itself.

Beth, your book is a great place for people to start.

Bethers
12-13-2006, 06:27 PM
I attend numerous seminars and conferences on SEO - have been doing so for about 7 years now. Lately, I do more of them via teleconference or by keeping up with the industry news on the conferences as they happen. And reading things like Matt Cutts blog.

For purposes of this book, I put it together just for a couple of the forums I'm on (one of which I moderate) because of the number of brand new people to web building and the necessity for them to have a place to start. And I will up-date it as things change - just as I did last month.

If you have anything you believe I should consider to add to it - please feel free to email me. It's always got room for improvement.

beth at moxie-enter-prises.com

motoxxx
12-14-2006, 08:19 AM
AWESOME. I can help feed you some info I have been gleaning from my buddy and you can use it in your ebook and that can be my little contribution to the world....Hey, I figure if I am getting this killer info for free I need to make sure I pass it along and share the wealth! I'll put some stuff together in the next few days Bthers....Hard to type with this big huge cast/bandage on my arm.....

allstarfaces
12-14-2006, 09:56 AM
can i just say havnt not even read this thread that i for one am very grearfull to you just for the fact you have done this not what it is you have offerd just the kind act ....thank you its people like you that keep restoring my faith in the human race

well done you

Bethers
12-14-2006, 06:47 PM
Motox - I'm extremely busy this week - what with orders - and we're actually celebrating Christmas this weekend with my friend's daughter - who will be here any minute. So next week is good for me - as it's also when I hope to catch up on everything else.

motoxxx
12-20-2006, 04:15 AM
Bethers, we just got hammered by a huge windstorm and out power (water, heat and lights!) have been off for 5 days. There were over 200 trees down on the road to my house and they just got power back on and the road cleared so I am way behind on everything as well. I'll put something together and email it to you after Christmas sometime.

Merry Christmas!

SChajin
01-23-2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks Beth,

I just found it and downloaded it, so greatful for people like you.

Dori
01-23-2007, 07:24 PM
Beth,
Thanks for the ebook! I have a question. You say in your ebook that template based websites are not the best for SEO. What are you considering 'template based' websites?
Thanks!

Bethers
01-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Dori - some template driven sites are fine. But what I was talking about - many hosting companies offer templates, like Soho has templates - with all the navigation in them. Too often, they add things like the navigation using javascript which se's can't read - and hurting people in their SEO.

So, templates have to be looked at carefully if you buy or use them, to make sure that they are SEO friendly- or work around the parts of them that are not.

Me, with all the manners to make things SEO friendly - think people should stay away from templates that they have to work around parts of - if at all possible.

And you're welcome - I need to go in there and do more pages - explaining some of the stuff.

Dori
01-23-2007, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the explanation Bethers... I can much more easily avoid javascript than a hot cuppa java! LOL

cheryl20
01-25-2007, 12:34 AM
Thanks for this ebook Bethers. You really know your SEO stuff. I have a question for you. ON a shopping mall type site where there really isn't content, how do you SEO something like that?

Bethers
01-25-2007, 03:27 AM
You best have content, no matter what the site. Mine are stores - and there's plenty of opportunity for content in product descriptions and names - good page titles and headlines, etc. And having links to your site with good anchor text.

Why, because of being a shopping site, wouldn't you have content?

Dori
01-25-2007, 02:41 PM
Hi Cheryl,
Bethers is so right! Your products should all have descriptions of what they are, this is your content and this is what you want in your page titles, descriptions and headlines. If you do not optimize for your products, how will people find you to buy them?
On your home page you have a lot of 'key words' that you could use and you are not. As Bethers will tell you, don't go overboard using the same keywords. The SEs will consider it spamming and it will hurt you in the long run.

Zigs
01-26-2007, 05:13 AM
Hi Beth
Dori has been extremely helpful in evaluating my first web site, and has made a few design and keyword suggestions which I've implemented. She also suggested I download your SEO ebook which I have read and found it very helpful.
Would you mind also having a look at my site for me:
www.proshowreel.com.au (http://www.proshowreel.com.au)

Not quite finished yet, but I want to ensure that I have all bases covered before I continue. Google doesn't find me yet, any sugggestions would be most appreciated!
Thanks so much
Zigs

Bethers
01-26-2007, 06:00 AM
First, you need to make sure that each of your page titles and descriptions is unique to that page. Right now, just glancing - your home and showreels page have the same title. These titles are vital and need to start with the best keywords to describe THAT PARTICULAR PAGE -- that ARE being used to SEARCH for what you offer.

Unfortunately, there are very, very few people searching for showreels. The only good part of that is that you should easily be able to get to the top for the phrase. But, my question to you is - if they aren't searching using that term - what term will they use to search? That you need to do some work to find out. Because I'm sure there must be some other terms we can optimize you for - so do some thinking and get back to me on that.

Zigs
02-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Hi Beth
Would you mind having a look at my site again? I've made some more changes, and I think it might be now ready to submit to search engines. I read in this forum, that if I submit a support ticked vodahost will do that for me. I've already followed the instructions for google.
Thanks again
Zigs

Bethers
02-02-2007, 07:24 PM
Zigs,
You'll be happy to know that you already have been found by Google:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=DELA,DELA:2006-02,DELA:en&q=site%3ahttp%3a%2f%2fwww%2eproshowreel%2ecom%2eau %2f

Only the home page so far, but they'll index more every time they visit.

It's probably not necessary to submit for the others - but to get it in some of the minor se's it might help - so go ahead and put in your support ticket. (And just by having it in your signature like you do here - it will get added to the index of all the se's).

Zigs
02-03-2007, 07:51 AM
I'm more than happy, that's great news!

When I google 'pro showreel' I'm number 1! Although I haven't marketed my site yet, no one is going to search for that phrase, but I'm still excited! My goal is to be number 1 when 'showreel' is seached in google for Australia/New Zealand.

Because my site has the .com.au extension, does this mean I will automatically be listed for the Aust/NZ region in google?

Also, would it be fair to say that there's no more steps I need to follow to optimise my web site?

If so, my next step is to have some relevent high traffic web sites to link to me.

Thanks again
Zigs

Bethers
02-03-2007, 06:26 PM
There are always more steps to follow to optimize your site!

But, you should be added to the Aust/NZ index automatically when spidered with your .au extension.

You need to get links TO your site - using your top keywords. Optimizing is not just what's on your pages, but what comes back to your pages. Are there any organizations you can join who would put a link to your pages? Other professional organizations? Are there websites out there in complimentary fields who might want to tell their viewers about you?

Can you write any good articles about your business and get them submitted to online (or offline) services? Or can you write a good article and have it published by another relevant website with a link back to you?

And always keep an eye on what people are searching for - you might have to tweak the pages.

Very good that pro showreel has you number 1. Yes, that's the beginning - and yes, no one is probably searching for it - but you'll slowly move up in the more widely used terms if you have them optimized properly.

william777
02-04-2007, 02:51 AM
Hi Beth, looks like I am one whole year late in this thread!

I had read with great interest all that was discussed here. My question is regarding full flash websites. How does one apply meta tags?

Bethers
02-04-2007, 03:50 AM
A full flash website will not at this time be able to have anything for se's to index. It requires text. You would enter meta tags the same way - but if it's full flash, there wouldn't be keywords - just the title and description. But the only way to get ranking in se's for full flash would be to have LOTS of inbound links.

You aren't a year late!

william777
02-04-2007, 05:58 AM
Thanks for your quick answer.