making money with affiliates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making money with affiliates

Does anyone have any advise on using affiliates to earn money? I have a few affiliates that I refer to people that visit my site but I don't get any sales. Anyone had any success selling others products?

Re: making money with affiliates

Looks like we're in the same boat. I've got a page with just affiliate links called Useful Links but my website is rather new now and so far nothing on the affiliate income.

I joined through Commission Junction and Shareasale. CJ has a lot of affiliate programs.

I figure if you throw enough spagetti against the wall, some of it's bound to stick sooner or later.

Post back later if you start getting some luck and I will too. Good luck.

Comment

Hey Lawman

How long have you guys been up and running with your site?

I know I'm probably telling you something you already know but Affiliate Marketing takes time. How much traffic are you guys getting, are you showing up in the search engines etc etc.

Then you have to optimise your site, tinker a bit with different adds etc. What is the market your competing with?

I'm only new to this game but from reading the abundance of info on the subject it's not a get rich quick scheme. Your probably looking at a good couple of years solid traffic building etc and building trust through good content.
      Phil Cartledge (Aussie Phil)

Discover A Simple Approach To Online Business That Locks In Your Success.

Comment

The affiliate sites that usually do the best - are usually focused on a particular arena - and then gearing it to that arena. An acquaintance of mine is making very good money with an affiliate site.

I learned that my stores do not do well with affiliates - and I either have to gear to selling MY merchandise - or gear to selling an affiliates. I can't do both successfully. That's also why you don't see ads and affiliate ads on the big stores - they focus on their own sales.

An affiliate site, like Phil just stated, also takes time - and has to move up in the search engines - for you to get the necessary traffic to make the sales. Phil also hit the nail on the head with his last sentence.
        Beth
        A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
        SEO - The Basics

Comment

Originally posted by lawnman777
          I didn't see my post here so i am posting again. Does anyone have any advise on using affiliates to earn money? I have a few affiliates that I refer to people that visit my site but I don't get any sales. Anyone had any success selling others products?
          Yes, as I have mentioned throughout the Affiliate Forum, I have had satisfactory success with a virtual mall site for months now, despite a large portion of interior pages and features still in development. (re: www.MyChoiceMall.com ) As of this week, I've recieved 3 checks totalling $3891.64! Not too shabby for a slow period and an unfinished site, huh? And this is for a site that is not "focused on a particular arena" mentioned....a "mall" has everything (or as much as I can handle, apparently)! LOL

Affiliate Marketing is a singular avenue of creating revenue, and has it's own set of "Rules" and formats to both choose from and to comply with. In other words, there are certain ways to structure a website for predictable results, and each format produces results particularly.
          >> This is in contrast to statements made by both Phil and Bethers, each of who touch on points that are different but are not complete: usually, the success of a website utilizing affiliate marketing will be directly proportional to the refined site design and concept development, and although can be enhanced with supporting marketing, is not entirely dependent upon it. You don't need to wait a long time for things to "pop" if you have perfected a site design and purposed its' appeal tightly around the concept to begin with.

For instance, inasmuch your original site was purposed for an "association" of professionals in your local region in Florida, it would not make much sense to offer affiliate banner ads for non-complimentary products or services such as toys, cosmetics, or musical instruments. Nor is it always a good idea to enroll in an AdSense by Google program (for too many reasons to go into here). However, it may make sense to sign up with Commission Junction (who recently absorbed the BeFree network) to apply for affiliates like Home Depot, ACE Hardware, Tractor Supply, etc., for these would be vendors that your "members" would typically patronize anyway.
          This aspect would be helpful in two ways:
          1. As an "association" site, you would thus be serving your members specifically with goods, services, and other offerings which would constitute a resource for them to rely upon and frequent regularly (it is easier to find a selection of organized vendors this way than it is to hippity-hop across the internet finding them one by one).
          2. If you prefaced your "Preferred Marketplace" (made up a name for you here) offering -- which is actually a page or "section" of your website where you have organized your affiliate banners -- with the announcement of an enticement such as a portion of any earned Referral Revenue being contributed to a worthy charity or cause on behalf of the "Memebership", you might find more positive results having thus motivated your members to actually utilize your "resource" in favor of their independent shopping.
          "Give shoppers more than a selection - give them a reason to shop"
          (this is in place of the traditional "hook" but is effective nonetheless)

Back to earlier comments......Affiliate Marketing is one of the more misunderstood elements of website design and applications. It is not the big beast many have come to think of it as, however, for it truly depends on the precise design, implementation, and conceptual processing that is lacking in most websites altogether. Effective Affiliate Marketing depends on the critical details of professional looking websites, refined Key Word/Meta/Content/Relevancy/Coding development, and the overall "perfection" of purpose: is the site executed according to the model that is expected, or is it put together in chunks, or merely morphed ideas with technology applied?

Lawnman...it's too bad you had so much trouble with Noah's Classifieds utility....it would have been a wonderful addition to your site (useful to memebers too), and would compliment an affiliate area/page if you proceed to develop your site into the pre-eminent association site it has the potential of being. Similar to how adding a forum or even a blog to a website can skew the SE's factoring a website's construct, so the addition of a Classifieds utility and an Affiliate Section would add dynamism to yours. Remember to choose your affiliates carefully, and to not choose too many lest inactivity as you start flag you and they drop your site, tagging you as "unproductive"....best to start with 3-5 of the best vendors you know will draw transactions and add others slowly.
          >> The "bigger sites" mentioned all have affiliate opportunities, and are in the business of selling their goods.....but just like smaller sites, they too desire complimentary links and "relevancy" enhancement. If your site is constructed poorly, or lacks solid construct, not only will your application not be approved, you will not capitalize on predictable conversion (revenue) and will possibly be deemed as an actual liability for superior prepared sites, and be dropped, shunned, or restricted (and don't think it doesn't happen, because Google has admitted the processing of 'rank' goes both ways).

"Plan Your Work, Work Your Plan" From "moment one" of designing a website to adding affiliates, every step of your website should demonstrate purpose and cognizance to the all-important Search Engines: visitors follow their suggestions primarily, and pricey advertising schemes lastly.
          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Hello all, thanks for responding. Vasili, I have changed my landscaper site around. I no longer have classified ads section because I couldn't get anyone to place an ad even for free. I didn't want to continue paying for it each month with no activity. Noahs free classifieds would have been good. I now have google ads and affiliates and it is more or less a portal info site. I started another site for plants that is similar but I am using amazon store on there. If you have the time you can check them out and let me know if you think they have potential. www.landscapersconnection.com www.plantsinsideout.com

I do not get a lot of traffic at my sites mostly because I have not been adding much content lately and I have only a small budget with pay per click ads. However when I do increase my budget I see more traffic but no sales. lots of clicks though. Appreciate the input!

Comment

[quote=Vasili]Yes, as I have mentioned throughout the Affiliate Forum, I have had satisfactory success with a virtual mall site for months now, despite a large portion of interior pages and features still in development. (re: www.MyChoiceMall.com ) As of this week, I've recieved 3 checks totalling $3891.64! Not too shabby for a slow period and an unfinished site, huh? And this is for a site that is not "focused on a particular arena" mentioned....a "mall" has everything (or as much as I can handle, apparently)! LOL

Vasili, can you explain how you are using my choice as an affiliate? Do you use pay per click? Also, I don't think I am using the "quote" feature correctly. How do you use it?

Comment

I also have a question for Vasili

How much does one have to spend in advertising and site promotion
                to achieve the success you are getting? Do you scatter your promotion
                around are do you just use Google adwords for example?
                Brad Arnold.......
                www.baldwincomusic.com
                www.Northbaldwinhamradio.org

ClickheretoBlastyoursitetomany
                !Free Search Engine Submission!
                Talking Avatar for your web site!
                Free sound editor
                Voda Host Tutorials

Comment

Honestly, Brad, I haven't spent a dime on hard-money advertisitng.

I feel really bad with the unfinished state of the site overall (especially having "rank" here in VodaLand), but I am just so truly overwhelmed running my core businesses during the day, and the Holiday Season (the busiest) is already here as well....but it still "works" due to a number of things I pre-planned for it even before designing the site itself:

A. I attend bridal shows across the country, and give out diamond rings at each as prizes: all the attendees and registrants provide me with their info, and thus I have more than 200,000 verified, opt-in, currently valid email addresses at any given time. In my jewelry business, we blast them all at least 4x monthly with specific promotions they have expressed interest in, and on the bottom of each blast, MyChoiceMall is prominently mentioned as well.....
                  B. Since the site benefits Cystic Fibrosis, that key word pops up my mall in searches all the time, and next year, the mall itself will be listed with banner and and preferred/optimized links on the official CF webpage in their "Marketplace" section, and will be promoted thusly to their "membership." This will make a tremendous impact on new, hard-link visits, and will serve to build a core consumer base (as most of the 'offerings' at MCM are for everyday purchasing), capitalizing on the loyalty of that segment.
                  C. I am not one to "seed links" across the internet like some do, posting in a multitude of forums and blogs, but I do have more than 100 sites posting a banner and links to the mall based on my relationship with the site owner themselves. This adds more unique hard-link visitors daily. (I can't wait until my cart-driven sites are finished and I can add PAP to them....I want to be lbown away with the traffic that will generate from paying just a few points commission! I certainly don't mind sharing money from new, "free" revenue!)

I would think that even limping along so far, most of any "success" I have had goes back to the true message I repeat over and over here in VodaTalk: it's all about having a plan, a technologically refined design, and precise implementation.
                  The concept of a "virtual mall" is not new, but my spin on contributing to charity is. >> I purposely devised a means to develop and capitalize on in-bred loyalty and motivation to enhance repeat traffic. Even for non-CF referrals, the aspect of having the convenience of so many fine choices organized n one place rather than surfing one-by-one AND benefitting a worthy cause with each purpose at no cost, the "one-click" diversion to start at the mall delivers added satisfaction to consumers -- something that is overlooked by most businesses in general....the emotional well-being and benefits of association. (Speaking of the "one-click" diversion: that was one critical aspect I had to keep in mind when setting up the site....unlike most websites where you want visitors to drill-in, I had to be sure to offer shoppers quick click-through to the store of thier choice: using a GoMenu as a "QuickLink" solves this, and the alternate of providing other suggestions via a GoMenu is but 2 clicks away from their store)

Because my mall has so many stores, products, and options in addition to the restrictions inherent with affiliate marketing, KeyWord advertising would be fruitless, unlike other types of websites. I could, however, begin to think about combining my long list of clever domain investments to re-direct traffic on a tier above simple SE search. But that is another "secret" that is in truth a very long discussion....

And having a cross-channel marketing aspect via a "Portal" adds a distinct advantage....HERE Even the name is unforgettable! (I get about 70 Contest entries daily)

Rather than allow the introduction of foreign metrics onto my sites by cozying up to Google with AdSense or other seemingly benign programs, I will probably begin spending on promotion for my mall first by buying 2 year-long billboards along a high-traffic roadway. I figure it would be about $4000 for both, which is still a lot cheaper than some of these fancy "SEO Firms" that are coming out of the woodwork to do nothing that we cannot do ourselves using BV and paying attention to the details with Voda....

I guess the key thing is there is a big difference in paying for business promotion and web promotion: most of the promotional efforts for most websites depends on the very, very tight construct of the site itself, and all that can be done for free -- as long as it is actually being done by someone who is actually thinking from square one. Promoting a website that is a business unto itself still has means to "cross channel" promote, especially with listings on vendor/provider sites, posting on local/regional/national billborads, citysites, associations, professional guilds and organizations, clubs, other local businesses and friends sites, the list goes on. This all makes for solid internet-wide relevance for the SE's to pick up, and when built on the "perfect page" model, will rise faster and further above other similar, even log-standing sites in rank and position.

When it comes to Key Word advertising, I am still glancing at Yahoo's aggressive new pricing as they strive to compete with Google....it is now nearly half as much as it was a year ago. This makes it sensible to choose more and cleverly identified combinations to promote: not the ordinary strings or words, but odd and slightly generic key words: this will make the paid positioning shoot to the top on the sidebars, and when supported by the tight content of your site, will produce more traffic than jumping into last position for the obvious high-priced keywords the traditional webbie can't seem to get out from under of. >> The key to this type of advertising is to specify with the network that you are actually buying say, 4 programs, and maintain the ability to swap out the terms every month or so. Having PAP installed on a commercial site (even if you don't really intend to use the affiliate program - a great idea, but over the head of most) will allow you to definitively track incoming traffic, allowing you to see which terms work best, or which service needs additional effort to promote properly.

This is a subject I could spend hours on.....and it is probably why some charge big money to perform the services I believe can be done ourselves here in VodaLand moreso than anywhere else.

Read. Learn. And think very much.......

Comment

Wow! Thanks Vasili. That really sheds light on the mechanics of 'success'
                    in this area. I am amazed that you havn't spent lots of money on adverts. I believe what I'm hearing is that your hugh loyalty base of
                    email and other contacts is where your business is coming from..
                    I'm not sure I even know where or how to start building a 200,000
                    contact list! Keep up the good work and keep us informed!

And thanks for sharing that information!
                    Brad Arnold.......
                    www.baldwincomusic.com
                    www.Northbaldwinhamradio.org

ClickheretoBlastyoursitetomany
                    !Free Search Engine Submission!
                    Talking Avatar for your web site!
                    Free sound editor
                    Voda Host Tutorials

Comment

Affiliate marketing is more about tagging onto a proven brand or store name to earn a few dollars by referring whatever audience you have to your pre-arranged merchants more than it is luring potential "shoppers" into your web of merchantilism........it is a means of commerce that was developed out of the art of referral, and not from the desire of established merchants to further increase their exposure (although that is one real aspect of affiliate marketing on the back end).

I honestly think that is why many of my VodaPeers continue to think that Affiliate Marketing is the next best thing to an "internet get-rich-quick" scheme, which it surely is not! If you keep reminding yourself that it is truly just a means to earn a few coins by carefully constructed referral, then you'll be fine. I just have applied the technique in a much larger fashion.

My use of email, for instance, was one of the complimentary support mechanisms that made my mall concept viable in the beginning.....being savvy in business and marketing doesn't hurt either. As with any business, affiliate marketing needs to be solidly supportable, and sustainable.
                      Maybe now you can see the base validity of my suggestions to Lawnman above..(and the suggestions regarding supporting utilities)....use the audience you have and widen your presentation to serve as best you can, always within "context" and with clear purpose, which can be accepted and supported by a trusting audience. More will come later from their referrals (everyone likes to share their own brilliance with friends - bragging rights create interest, and interest turns into discovery: a visit).

Comment

Vasili, you are very well spoken individual with oceans of free flowing information and I for one would like to thank you for your always excellent posts.

I have ben planning on building some sites of my own with clever domain name purchases strictly for affiliate marketing. I hope I can call on you for some advice when I am ready to proceed with this aspect of my business.

If there is ever anything I can assist you with as far as SEO and testing ideas, please let me know. I would jump at the chance to repay you for al of the help you have given me.
                        Affordable Medical Insurance
                        Discount Dental Plan
                        Washington State Health Insurance
                        Temporary Health Insurance
                        Homeowner Insurance Quote

Comment

Thank you for your kind words.
                          Most of the time, I feel as if I am muttering in the corner by myself!

I am happy to offer assistance or collaboration whenever appropriate to accomplish mutual progress.

Thank you for your offer also.....I am by no means too proud to ask for help or to seek resonnance from capable peers!

Comment

Vasilli, I am grateful for your comments. I have been tossing around the thought of affiliate program. My website topic is sound, light, staging and entertainment, so I can see that there are many opportunities there aswell.

Thanks for putting your thoughts down... It helps me see that this is a good program to get a few extra coins.
                            Thanks,
                            Stratis

www.holleyjohnson.net
                            mailto: stratis.constas@holleyjohnson.net

Comment

i think i understand?
                              http://www.beebrothers.org

Success is not a doorway. It is a staircase.

Comment

Working...
                              X