Paypal data info help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paypal data info help needed

Posted this in the form section, no responses, excuse me for reposting, need help.

Not receiving payments into Paypal, getting alot of orders, is there something that I am missing?
    What should I do?

Question? How or where, do I implement this into the website? see links below
    1. Payment Data Transfer
    2. Instant Payment Notification (IPN)

I received this in an email

((This email is to inform you that you have successfully enabled Payment Data Transfer.

PDT's primary function is to display payment transaction details to buyers when they are redirected back to your site upon payment completion. However, there are cases, such as with pending transactions, where you won't receive notification of all transactions. For this reason, PayPal strongly recommends that you also enable Instant Payment Notification (IPN).

To learn more about enabling and setting up IPN:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=p/xcl/rec/ipn-intro-outside

To learn more about Payment Data Transfer, including setup instructions and a complete list of variables:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=p/xcl/rec/pdt-intro-outside

http://www.fromtheheartofangels.com/

Re: Paypal data info help needed

Im not sure what your question is exactly, is it about the email and your payment preferences? Those you set up on paypal, using paypal buttons etc? im not sure i dont use them, but, you set your profile up in paypal to notify you etc and the return url to your store to complete the transaction. Depending on the builder you use, it may or may not be done for you.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Bird,

The Payment Data Transfer is PayPal's way of transmitting the info of the payment BACK to your site. The info is passed to you more or less the same way form data is passed form you to Paypal, through a collection of variables, which contain the payment details. If, on your site, you have a return page that can use this info, then you can visualize the info on a webpage in your site, and also make more use of it (f.e. for checking if it is done, in order to automaticaly send to the client a download link, if the product is downloadable).

However, this is all too complicated for the average user. I beleive that you DON'T need the data transfer, you only need the Instant Payment Notification. IPN is simply an emailing system that will send you an email to inform you, as soon as a client makes a payment. Simply activate it through your Paypal account CP.
      Navaldesign
      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign
        Bird,

The Payment Data Transfer is PayPal's way of transmitting the info of the payment BACK to your site. The info is passed to you more or less the same way form data is passed form you to Paypal, through a collection of variables, which contain the payment details. If, on your site, you have a return page that can use this info, then you can visualize the info on a webpage in your site, and also make more use of it (f.e. for checking if it is done, in order to automaticaly send to the client a download link, if the product is downloadable).

However, this is all too complicated for the average user. I beleive that you DON'T need the data transfer, you only need the Instant Payment Notification. IPN is simply an emailing system that will send you an email to inform you, as soon as a client makes a payment. Simply activate it through your Paypal account CP.
        Thanks Naveldesign, if I use the IPN what or which code do I use?
        and where or how do I tie it with the website?
        I have the paypal button on site.

Click the links below for actual code you can cut and paste into your own site. (While this code has been tested by PayPal, we cannot be held responsible for its use.)

ASP.Net/C#
        ASP.Net/VB
        ASP/VBScript
        Cold Fusion
        Java/JSP
        PERL
        PHP

Comment

// read the post from PayPal system and add 'cmd'
          $req = 'cmd=_notify-validate';

foreach ($_POST as $key => $value) {
          $value = urlencode(stripslashes($value));
          $req .= "&$key=$value";
          }

// post back to PayPal system to validate
          $header .= "POST /cgi-bin/webscr HTTP/1.0\r\n";
          $header .= "Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded\r\n";
          $header .= "Content-Length: " . strlen($req) . "\r\n\r\n";
          $fp = fsockopen ('www.paypal.com', 80, $errno, $errstr, 30);

// assign posted variables to local variables
          $item_name = $_POST['item_name'];
          $item_number = $_POST['item_number'];
          $payment_status = $_POST['payment_status'];
          $payment_amount = $_POST['mc_gross'];
          $payment_currency = $_POST['mc_currency'];
          $txn_id = $_POST['txn_id'];
          $receiver_email = $_POST['receiver_email'];
          $payer_email = $_POST['payer_email'];

if (!$fp) {
          // HTTP ERROR
          } else {
          fputs ($fp, $header . $req);
          while (!feof($fp)) {
          $res = fgets ($fp, 1024);
          if (strcmp ($res, "VERIFIED") == 0) {
          // check the payment_status is Completed
          // check that txn_id has not been previously processed
          // check that receiver_email is your Primary PayPal email
          // check that payment_amount/payment_currency are correct
          // process payment
          }
          else if (strcmp ($res, "INVALID") == 0) {
          // log for manual investigation
          }
          }
          fclose ($fp);
          }
          ?>

This is the code that you should have in a php page on your site. This code receives the variables, checks them, and assigns vallues tro local variables. You can then use them to display some of the order info on this page.

I repeat: you don't need such a thing (in my opinion). If you share this opinion, disable the Payment Data Transfer, just keep activated the IPN. If you do so, you don't need any code. You simply create a return page on your site, where PayPal redirects your clients after payment, and the IPN system will send you an email after a payment has been made, with the client's details.
          Navaldesign
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

// read the post from PayPal system and add 'cmd'
            $req = 'cmd=_notify-validate';

foreach ($_POST as $key => $value) {
            $value = urlencode(stripslashes($value));
            $req .= "&$key=$value";
            }

// post back to PayPal system to validate
            $header .= "POST /cgi-bin/webscr HTTP/1.0\r\n";
            $header .= "Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded\r\n";
            $header .= "Content-Length: " . strlen($req) . "\r\n\r\n";
            $fp = fsockopen ('www.paypal.com', 80, $errno, $errstr, 30);

// assign posted variables to local variables
            $item_name = $_POST['item_name'];
            $item_number = $_POST['item_number'];
            $payment_status = $_POST['payment_status'];
            $payment_amount = $_POST['mc_gross'];
            $payment_currency = $_POST['mc_currency'];
            $txn_id = $_POST['txn_id'];
            $receiver_email = $_POST['receiver_email'];
            $payer_email = $_POST['payer_email'];

if (!$fp) {
            // HTTP ERROR
            } else {
            fputs ($fp, $header . $req);
            while (!feof($fp)) {
            $res = fgets ($fp, 1024);
            if (strcmp ($res, "VERIFIED") == 0) {
            // check the payment_status is Completed
            // check that txn_id has not been previously processed
            // check that receiver_email is your Primary PayPal email
            // check that payment_amount/payment_currency are correct
            // process payment
            }
            else if (strcmp ($res, "INVALID") == 0) {
            // log for manual investigation
            }
            }
            fclose ($fp);
            }
            ?>

This is the code that you should have in a php page on your site. This code receives the variables, checks them, and assigns vallues tro local variables. You can then use them to display some of the order info on this page.

I repeat: you don't need such a thing (in my opinion). If you share this opinion, disable the Payment Data Transfer, just keep activated the IPN. If you do so, you don't need any code. You simply create a return page on your site, where PayPal redirects your clients after payment, and the IPN system will send you an email after a payment has been made, with the client's details.
            OK... disable Payment Notification...

What I don't understand is... How do I activate the IPN ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bird
              OK... disable Payment Notification...

What I don't understand is... How do I activate the IPN ?

HA!!

I think I am answering my own question..LOL

I went to paypal and found the answer, I now have the IPN activated. Using no script.
              I also deactivated the Payment Data Transfer.

Maybe it will work now... Thanks for the help.

Comment

navaldesign, you are awesome. I have been configuring Paypal recently and came across this answer too. I now see why it was so confusing to Bird. Paypal makes most of their information easy to understand, but I personally find it hard to follow(on their site).

Basically, PDT(payment data transfer) would be used if you want the transaction details to be displayed on the webpage (ON YOUR SITE)** which your visitors return to after completing the transaction on PayPal's pages.

**Auto Return must be enabled

---the PDT method requires the use of SSL security certificate

IPN does not, the transaction details remain on PayPal's pages and the status of the payment is shown on return page on your site.

Because of certain instances like , pending transactions, refunds, etc... the notifications may not occur. To my understanding, correctly a process where:

1.Buyer shops on your site and is ready to pay----YOUR WEBPAGE(order page, shopping cart...)

2.Completes payment process(order summary--item,qty,amount,totals | method--paypal account, credit card, other | transaction summary = order summary + method | CONFIRM payment)--PayPal

3.Page showing the status and details of the transaction=YOUR WEBPAGE***

***If this is what you want, here is what they mention is to be involved:
                ***Payment Data Transfer | Instant Payment Notification | Auto Return | PayPal Account Optional settings | Notification Sync | PDT HTTPS POST

Honestly, if you are not properly configured to handle transactions in a secure manner, IPN is the easiest way to know when a payment or transaction is complete. The buyer can still view details of their transaction and your returning webpage will be the notification to your buyer that your site knows payment is complete( or whichever status it is).

I hope this helped in any way, I know it is difficult for some due to their learning style. I know I'm a very visual and tactile learner which gets frustrating when trying to understand technical information that doesn't "paint a picture" easily.

Here are some of the url's for documentation.

page 114

https://www.paypal.com/en_US/pdf/PP_...ationGuide.pdf pages 19-

For all Docements related to integrating paypal go here:

Robert
                www.GraphXntrix.com
                Your Visual Revolution Solution

Comment

Just a quick note on Paypal, I found it good but do insure that you set up your bank account details correctly. I did not on my first account with them, my fault, however getting it now changed over to the right account so I get my money paid into the correct account is very difficult. I dont blame paypal as they are preventing crime. but if you want your money take some time in getting your details right. www.timeforslaes.co.uk

Comment

I have set it up (paypal) by the IPN method.. My bank account is set right.

I have had over 60 orders, but no payments have been posted to the paypal account?

I have the confirmation php right, and the IPN has a return to website url after payment has made.

I have no idea where this is gone wrong??
                    Help, anyone!

Comment

Bird, are you sure your clients have payed ? if they have, then the payments should anyawy appear in your payment account. You should also have received the relevant emails from paypal, to let you know that you have received a new payment.

Even if you have mistaken the IPN details, end even if you have mistaken the return page, the payment should, in ANY CASE, appear in your account. If there are no payments, it can only mean that no payments have been actually made,even though you have received oorders.
                      Navaldesign

Comment

And, yes, a lot of people take products to the check-out - but never follow through and order. Usually some will - but if this is what's happening - you have to see why - do they have to go to checkout to see your shipping and handling and maybe don't like it? etc etc

No matter what type of processor you use - whether a merchant account or Paypal or any other - never ever process an order without making sure the money has reached the processor.
                        Beth
                        A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                        SEO - The Basics

Comment

Bird, i made a trial order and also proceeded to payment through PayPal. See if you receive the notification or not. If not, check your email address in your PayPAl account, and also check if your email works ok. Anyway, the payment should appear in your PayPal account.
                          Navaldesign

Comment

Originally posted by Bethers
                            And, yes, a lot of people take products to the check-out - but never follow through and order. Usually some will - but if this is what's happening - you have to see why - do they have to go to checkout to see your shipping and handling and maybe don't like it? etc etc

No matter what type of processor you use - whether a merchant account or Paypal or any other - never ever process an order without making sure the money has reached the processor.
                            Thanks Beth....there is no shipping and handling charges...see post below what I replied to Navel..

Comment

Bird, i made a trial order and also proceeded to payment through PayPal. See if you receive the notification or not. If not, check your email address in your PayPAl account, and also check if your email works ok. Anyway, the payment should appear in your PayPal account.
                              Thanks Navel.... For the trial run on an order, it did come through, at least I know it works now. I also have sent the payment back to you, this is exactly what I needed to know if it was working.

Thanks again....Bird

Comment

Working...
                              X