More on - How to tune up your computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More on - How to tune up your computer

Thanks VodaHost for the info on using CCleaner.

I do find however that the default in most of these type of Utilities is only set to perform safe functions ( with some obvious doing more than you may want to do) and the individual users must read what all the parameters do, in order to get the best benefit from the use of the utility.

Most important is what the default settings will do! As an example, if you leave the "History" and "Recently Typed URL's" boxes ticked, then after you activate the cleaner, all the typed in addresses sites you have visited and the History you could have looked up for the last 20 days (default IE setting) are deleted. All gone and now you scratch your head, because you can’t remember that important site you typed into the address bar only yesterday.

So, obviously you need to read the instructions and understand the actions and consequences of the different task functions.

Here are the basics that I use, and seem to have no major dramas using it this way, yes I do use the others - more for deep cleaning every 3 month or so, but never all the time - think it's a bit of a play off against the reason that most are there in the first place to help the user in the normal functions of using a PC.

http://www.pcbugfixer.com/temp/CClea...veryDayUse.doc

The document contains the "Options" for "Settings" and "Advanced" that I use.

After the basic, start reading what the rest can do - Only if you want to - just don't complain because you ticked ALL the boxes and then find that your History, Browser pass words and other information you thought handy to have, have now disappeared !!

Full marks however to the Author of CCleaner, it is a great Utility to have and use. I load it on all my customers PC’s, and they think its great.

Re: More on - How to tune up your computer

I downloaded the CCleaner and ran it on my PC as instructed and now i've lost all sound on my PC? Any advice on how to get it back?
    Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic surgeon
      I downloaded the CCleaner and ran it on my PC as instructed and now i've lost all sound on my PC? Any advice on how to get it back? Thanks.
      As per "What" Instructions ??

And what options "did you use!" ??

Most likely you misinterpreted the instructions as I have been using the CCleaner since version v1.03.041 (think 1st version was v1.02.039) and has not given me any trouble !

Checking version History - http://www.ccleaner.com/versions.aspx

CCleaner does not disable Sound on your PC to the best of my knowledge.

Comment

Just as an aside- I downloaded and ran ccleaner and then ran a program called Cleanup by Steven Gould. It is the same type - one button- cleaning utility. Clean up found an additional 143mb of cache files and such to delete. I am waiting until the end of the week to do a reverse test - (Clean up and then ccleaner) to fully compare functions. I'll post back with the results.

Andy
        PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Almost a few days prior to the CCleaner posting, I was working closely with a high-level support tech from Microsoft to troubleshoot some unique issues I was having with many aspects of my system. We managed to finally get everything sorted out and tackled, after two solid months of narrowing down possibilities and running diagnostics and repair sequences. In the process, I asked the tech what I could do to make sure that my PC was still okay after running programs like this one. (the reference was made to their version of a registry mechanic, so to speak, even though I asked because I used CCleaner) ;p wink

Ok, to wrap it up, if you feel that you may have improperly used a program like this or that it is deleting files that "you feel" shouldn't be.... then after you run CCleaner or other PC optimizer program, do the following steps(Windows XP users):

1. click START
          2. click RUN
          3. type in the box: cmd
          4. when the window opens, simply type: sfc/scannow

This will immediately scan your protected sytem files and prompt you insert your Windows XP installation disk if it finds any file missing or replaced with different "unknown" versions of them.

After this is done, shut down, and turn your computer back on. I'M TELLING YA!!! After I ran these back to back, my PC hit a whole new level of UMPH!!

is there something wrong with this post?
          Robert
          www.GraphXntrix.com
          Your Visual Revolution Solution

Comment

Ok, this question I have after running CCleaner's "Issues" option with all the checkboxes marked. I just wanted to see what came up, and I had no plans of immediately "fixing the issues" it displayed.

one that is showing right now is(and this is registry issue):

Unused file extension: .wwb

If I am not mistaken, I am certain this is the same extension used when we save a page as a "Template" in BlueVoda.

Is this a problem that I need to fix? When I right-click and select go to RegEdit, it goes to

wwb folder with subfolder: Opens WithList ==>
            Name: (Default)
            Type: REG_SZ
            Data: (Value not set)
            HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.wwb

Any thoughts?
            Robert
            www.GraphXntrix.com
            Your Visual Revolution Solution

Comment

Working...
            X