Safety and credit cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety and credit cards

This one is pretty slick since they provide YOU with all the information, except the one piece they want.

Note, the callers do not ask for your card number; they already have it. This information is worth reading. By understanding how the VISA & MasterCard Telephone Credit Card Scam works, you'll be better prepared to protect yourself.

The scam works like this:
    Person calling says, "This is (name), and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My Badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card which was issued by (name of bank). Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for $497.99 from a Marketing company based in Arizona?"

When you say "No", the caller continues with, "Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from $297 to $497, just under the $500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. ! Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is that correct?"

You say "yes". The caller continues - "I will be starting a Fraud Investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 1-800 number listed on the back of your card (1-800-VISA) and ask for Security. You will need to refer to this Control Number. The caller then gives you a 6 digit number. "DO you need me to read it again?"

Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works.

The caller then says, "I need to verify you are in possession of your card". He'll ask you to "turn your card over and look for some numbers". There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are part of your card number, the next 3 are the security Numbers' that verify you are the possessor of the card. These are the numbers you sometimes use to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card. The caller will ask you to read the 3 numbers to him. After you tell the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say, "That is correct, I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions?"

After you say No, the caller then thanks you and states, "Don't hesitate to call back if you do", and hangs up.

You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the Card number. It is a scam.

Long story - short - What the scammers want is the 3-digit PIN number on the back of the card. Don't give it to them. Instead, tell them you'll call VISA or Master card directly for verification of their conversation. The real VISA will never ask for anything on the card as they already know the information since they issued the card! If you give the scammers your 3 Digit PIN Number, you think you're receiving a credit. However, by the time you get your statement you'll see charges for purchases you didn't make, and by then it's almost too late and/or more difficult to actually file a fraud report.

Interesting.
    Bill
    www.blueearthtea.com
    www.ftaaconsulting.com
    www.iaval.com
    www.theemeraldbay.com

Re: Safety and credit cards

Thanks for that Reminder Bill! So many people fall for these scams!

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Yes, and people lose so much money.

Your credit card company will NEVER ask for that information from you - and if you call them - make sure it's to the number on your card or one you find legitimately - never call back to a number someone called and gave you without checking THAT out also.
      Beth
      A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
      SEO - The Basics

Comment

I got taken for more than $26,000 on a sale that was authorized by an issuing bank last year, with no recourse.
        And it had nothing to do with impressive-sounding telephone calls. That nonsense has been around for years.....people are still stupid.

Even though the printed telephone number was called, the proper secure info used to recieve an "force" authorization, the person (actually 3, discovered later) inside the issuing bank center was in on the fraud, since they helped approve and "monitor" the card usage beyond parameters.

Long story short, the force authorization was good, processed according to all the rules, but funds were never released due to internal audit by issuing bank : they admitted they authorized a force, but used the excuse that a 48hr processing time allowed them to deny "obvious fruad for a previously genuine transaction" -- whatever that really means! I was out the money, 2 of the 3 people got to get to know the FBI quite well, and now I have a policy that all cards are to be physically swiped, and if they do not authorize, no sale is to be processed.
        No calling the bank, no Forces, no nothing. Unless you want to bring me cash!

Live and learn....first time in over 30 years. Pretty big sting. That's why I am going overboard with my carts: SSL, Secured Visa/MC paltform, private gateway, etc.
        Freaking miserable cretans......they walk amongst us even now!
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Thanks for sharing

Comment

Good post Bill, sorry to hear that Vasili ... truly unfortunate for you ...
            I believe that consumers, even after providing their three digits by telephone for a related transaction, are able to dispute the transaction ... it is a so wonder more people are not doing that ... Hands On remains the ultimate experience for all things ...

To date this week, I have fortunately inherited via about 25 different emails, enough money to keep every darn one of us happy for the rest of our lives ... even google has awarded me a 2nd prize worth millions, and ironically I didn't even enter their contest .... lol .... and I must say that email was definitely dolled up quite official looking ....

I had an experience with selling a vehicle last summer via bargain hunter on the internet. A chap from Belgium and his cohert in New York were wanting the Van to deliver bagels in Belgium. Lol ... sure enough the international money order came. They wanted me to deposit it to my bank account and send the extra money, $1800.00 to a courier for shipping the vehicle. Well I wasn't doing that obviously as my bank naturally would release the funds on my behalf, anyway, I took it to a Money Mart, where they can instantly check this out .... (I guess now, I really should not have even played, knowing this was a farce) anyway I took it there, and it was over an hour waiting and then the police showed up and I had to prove that I was not part of this scam, which was easy as I had the correspondence, and emails, etc. So no problem, but when I handed over all this information to them, they were not interested in it. Reason - there was nothing they could do about it ... Interestingly enough though, they were interested in me ... another "Hands On" operation, I was easy for them, too much work to trace the other internationally ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
            02036089024 / United Kingdom
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Working...
            X