Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• external table

Hi,

Any suggestion on how to create tables as separate html documents to which my main page can link (a bit like a "link rel" that you put in the main page and that sends you to a separate document with a style sheet). I have daily articles with daily tables and the ensemble gets a bit to heavy .

Thanks

Re: external table

I forgot to add the I would like the tables to fully display in my main page when you open the page, so I don't want a link or button or other sending to an external page with the table. I basically need the tables to be fully displayed on my main page but the table's html to be on a separate(s) document(s)
    thanks

Comment

I'm not sure what excactly you mean. Can you provide an example please ?
      Navaldesign
      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

well,

I update my stories daily and include each day a new table with the current exchange rates for various currencies. Each table is around 2.8 kb. Ten stories have ten tables and these sum up to almost 30kb which makes my web page considerably heavier.

So, I thought, if I keep each data table on a separate html file which I upload daily on to my server, my web page will be quite lighter. I just don't know how tohave these tables shown up on my main page, inside my daily article, when their html code is non inside the code for the main page but on a separate html document.

Sorry about being verbose. Hope it's clearer

Comment

Well, i beleive it's clear now.. Ok, let's start with one topic at a time.

1. Yes, your main page will be lighter. But you are not going to have shorter loading time, on the contrary. Explain: the data is to be downloaded from your site to the visitor's browser. The total amount of information (bits) is a bit larger, due to the necessary html tags that are repeated for every html document, plus, you have an additional (even if it is msecs) time for the server to open these external files. So, the loading time will be the same, even a bit higher.
          2. If however you do want to go this way, the easy way would be to create your main page in mixed html/php and use the trick i posted in the Tricks and Tips section of the forum: Single Menu Page with Bv and PHP . It can be used for everything, incliding entire html pages. Or use i frames. The php is better for SE.
          3. The ultimate solution: create a dynamic page, making use of a MySQL database. The tables values, as well as the articles can be uploaded directly on the database, then they appear on your page when you decide to swith to a new date. This also allows for instant updating: you make all the changes taking your time, then as soon as you are finished, you just "switch" the new tables and articles in active, and immediately your new content will display in place of the previous one. This is the method used by ALL major sites, who simply build a template, and the content is dynamically updated.
          Navaldesign
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

thanks.
            So really I will have to go for the MySQL solution which, given my current expertise as a webmaster just sounds like total doubledutch.

Anyway, I'll start googleing mysql and see how long it'll take me before I resurface.

hasta la vista

Comment

If you do have experience with databases and php then it is not that hard. If you don't, and you must setup the site in restricted time, i suggest that you pay someone to doit for you. A freelancer can make this in 30 - 50 hours time, including the DB administration interface, you would need more than 200 - (even more if you have no experience at all.) Just think about that: how much money is 200 hours of your time worth ? If you are interested, contact me.
              Navaldesign

Comment

interesting proposition but............

I enjoy the learning process (hate too but, hey, that's life)

grazie comunque

Comment

Working...
                X