PDA

View Full Version : How do you make tables move to desired location on page?

ace5548
12-07-2006, 07:23 PM
Hi,

Try as I might, I have not been able to get a table to move from the upper left corner of the page on BV. I want to be able to place it in various locations on the page.

I have used the table maker on BV and made my own table from scratch and nothing happens. This is getting to be quite frustrating as I like to use tables to separate sections on my pages.

Ted

Robert
12-07-2006, 08:23 PM
could you elaborate on what you mean by wanting to move your table?

What is the function of this table?

ace5548
12-07-2006, 08:28 PM
Hello Robert,

I want to put a table on my BV page to insert affiliate links, banners, and/or images. This way I can keep them nicely spaced and not looking sloppy and I can have a clean setup on different parts of my page.

Whenever I put a table in the html box it always stays on the upper left corner of the page and I cannot get it to move anywhere else on the page for proper placement.

Robert
12-07-2006, 08:49 PM
i don't understand. what htm box? from 'Page HTML' or INSERT>HTML box, and then pasted the html code for your table?

is your page published that is having the issue so we can take a look at it?

ace5548
12-07-2006, 09:05 PM
Hello Robert,

On the BV site builder there is a box in the upper left corner that you click to insert html code. When I click the box and insert the html code for a table the table appears on the upper left hand corner of the page when I preview the page. Then when I try to move the table, say from the left hand upper corner of the page to the right hand upper corner of the page it will not move. Anything that I put on the page can be moved to various positions on the page except tables and I just do not understand why.

I do not have a page published with a table on it. I am trying to set up a page with tables so that I can arrange the elements I want to put into the table in an orderly perspective.

It seems to me that if I want to use tables on a BV page that I should be able to place the table anywhere on the page I want to without regard to anything else.

Ted

Robert
12-07-2006, 11:05 PM
This is an example of what I use on some rare occasions. Food for thought:

http://www.graphxntrix.com/pics/custom-table-insert.jpg

here is what this example looks like published:

http://www.graphxntrix.com/pics/custom-table.html

Andy128
12-08-2006, 06:44 AM
You could have the tables displayed in an I-Frame. In this- you could have it any where on the page you desire. As the table grows- your page would stay the same and they could simply scroll the I-Frame to view the table.

Andy

Robert
12-08-2006, 07:14 AM
Andy's idea is a good one. By using the I-frame, you can move and size it anywhere you want on the page your working on in BlueVoda as a placeholder for the actual element, data, or even another webpage. Simply give the iframe the URL of whatever you want it to contain. Whateve size you make the I-frame, it will stay exactly as is, but will allow a visitor to scroll horizontally or vertically if the actual content it contains is larger than the I-frame.

However, Andy, I am guessing that might not be what he has in mind, but it's definitely something he should experiment with, it's worth a shot.

**please note...the page above is twacked out...I changed alot of settings and added some scripts too, so It will be out of commission till I can get some help with some php.

hint hint

ace5548
12-08-2006, 08:55 AM
Hi Robert,

What you presented is pretty much what I had in mind. To be able to use a table set up similar to yours and use it as a page template that can be cloned for other data input.

Hello Andy,

I have two Iframes on my site already and really do not want anyone to have to scroll down through a table to see what is there. I want all the information pretty much above the fold.

Thank you both for your input and help.

Ted

Andy128
12-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Ted-
So what you are saying is that once you click on the table icon the table appears on the page and you are unable to move it? Of so- there is a glitch in the program. I suggest that you re-install the BV web builder, maybe even download the latest version too. That should clear it up.

Hand coding a table in an html box should allow you to move it anywhere.

Could'nt hurt to give it a try.

Andy

Robert
12-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Ted-
So what you are saying is that once you click on the table icon the table appears on the page and you are unable to move it? Of so- there is a glitch in the program. I suggest that you re-install the BV web builder, maybe even download the latest version too. That should clear it up.

Hand coding a table in an html box should allow you to move it anywhere.

Could'nt hurt to give it a try.

Andy

Hey Andy, a thought randomly came to mind when I was messing around with a blank page and put an HTML BOX on it.( just a single, new html box) I sort of did a double-take with myself because I simply have never payed attention to this before:

Instead of double-clicking the box to bring up the dialog where you paste your "Custom HTML", and has the "IMPORT" button on it....

...I RIGHT-CLICKED the box and chose "HTML..."
http://www.graphxntrix.com/pics/html-box-html.gif

I know double-clicking is the same as choosing properties, but I have never really experimented with these boxes much. I usually know for sure what's to go in them, you know? Well, the HTML... dialog brings up the "2 part" window(grey code on top, 3 tabs: Before, Inside, After Tag on bottom) and I notice that the grey part is empty. This is the 2nd time ive been able to see the grey part empty in using bluevoda. Anyway, my mind is just flashing away trying to understand what this means or if I can interpret it this way as follows:

This is giving me a dialog box that shows no pre-existing tags or code of any kind for this HTML box and I have 3 locations I can paste whatever code I want.... The Before Tag, Inside Tag, After Tag... and after throwing some junk text around, just to spot the coding when I look at the PAGE HTML, and ALSO throwing some text in the PROPERTIES DIALOG box of the HTML box(the one with the import button when you double-click) I still am wondering if this may be a probable way to define a custom container in blue voda???
-I mean my mind is fixated on the idea of being able to define the "code-within-the-code-that-holds-the-code"

In other words,
HTML PAGE when it's published that has an
HTML BOX inserted in it in which IT'S tags can be defined by you,
AND
Custom HTML can be in it, but I see that white space as "PUT CODE HERE" not just html code.

make sense?

Should I take a vacation?

now to check php forum again, my pages and junk won't show
hint hint

ace5548
12-08-2006, 08:51 PM
Hello Andy & Robert,

Now that I have re-downloaded BV, for the third time, I still get the same. Another thing that happens when I try to put the table code in the html box the table shows on the preview page. The problem is is that it will not move anywhere else on the page and something else I forgot---it does not allow any of the data already put on the page to show.

This is getting to be a bad thing with BV. I should be able to insert a table.

Ted

Robert
12-08-2006, 09:49 PM
okay, i have to ask this... Do you mean it won't move around on the "Preview" of your page in your browser??

if you would like, could you show us the table code you are trying to insert or use? or at least describe the layout you are trying to accomplish or "what is WHAT", "WHAT is going to be WHERE" , and then maybe we can help you figure out "WHAT needs what? to be WHERE". Don't laugh, lol. oops

Honestly, Im gonna look for this cool table maker I lost on my computer somewhere and see if it can do something for ya.

ace5548
12-08-2006, 10:21 PM
Hi Robert,

I have to get ready for work righ now. I will put a table on my site when I get home tonight and then let you know where it is at. I don't know if I told you guys that it is in preview that shows me that the table is not moving where I want it to go even though I place it where I want it on the builder.

What I will show you will be the general layout of the table that I will use. There may be some alterations as I go along.

I have not published with a table yet as I figure if I can't get it placed on the builder page where I want it and then preview it, why publish.

Ted

ace5548
12-09-2006, 10:04 AM
Hello Robert,

Here is a URL to a page that I just published with a table on it. http://www.yourothermall.com/cosmetics.html .The table is positioned at approximately 600 x axis and 150 y axis. Below it on the left side of the page should be an affiliate link at approximately 400 pixels down the left margin. As you can see the table is on the left side of the page and the other image is nowhere to be seen.

Ted

Andy128
12-09-2006, 01:45 PM
Ted-
The affiliate link under the table did appear once then disappeared. The table is indeed on the left side of the page. When I click on the table -not anywhere near the affiliate link in the table- I am taken to the affiliate link. Therefore, it is probable that the image is over the table and not placed within a cell.

Your page source shows several tables being used and even an I-frame with a tranparency.

As an experiment- open a brand new page and then click on the table icon. Make it 5 rows and 2 columns with a border of 1. Move the table to the right side. Now preview. Does it stay on the right side? If so, take the extra step and publish it as a web page and name it table_test. Then re-call it in the browser and see if the table is in the same position.

If all is well with this test page, then we can presume that it is a conflict with the current page and the elements you have placed on it. That would warrant starting from scratch- adding each element and testing it prior to moving on.

If it acts the same way on this new page- then there is a greater problem and we will address that.

Hope that helps.

Andy

ace5548
12-09-2006, 08:26 PM
Andy,

Thanks for responding quickly. I will put up the new page and see what happens.

On the page you looked at I have only one table placed on the page. I have an two Iframes that have drop down lists on a menu page. Other than that you see my header and a couple of other elements that have been placed there.

What's really crazy is that I have looked at several other sites and they look nice. I have been trying to do this for quite some time.

Ted

ace5548
12-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Oops--I made this an actual post rather than an edit.

Edit: Andy, I think you have hit it on the spot. I made a new page and did what you ask and previewed it. The table was indeed on the right side of the page where I moved it.

Do you think that the Iframes were what caused the conflict? I think that I will have to start over without the Iframes. Naval put up a post about PHP and how to set up various things on a page. Do you think that would cause a problem with tables?

Anyway, I am going to have to reconstruct my whole website now, but I think it may turn out better in the long run. We'll see what happens. I do like the concept of Iframes though. Too bad they may not work in my application.

Andy--I did take the extra step and published the page and the table was where I placed it on the page.

Ted

Andy128
12-10-2006, 04:53 AM
Well- I am glad we have narrowed it down somewhat. At least we know that the BV web builder is not at fault with respect to the tables.

Now to figure what went wrong (which we may never figure out). The only other suggestion would be to test the page in preview and publish it after you add the elements to the page. That way- if it starts to screw things up, you only need go back one step.

Holler back if you need anything else!

Cheers,

Andy

ace5548
12-10-2006, 08:49 AM
Andy,

Thanks for your help on this one. I will be sure to holler again if something arises.

Ted

ace5548
12-13-2006, 10:29 AM
Hello Andy & Robert,

I found out what the problem was in inserting tables to the BV pages. I had to move them to the "back" in order for them to be able to be placed on the page where I wanted them to be placed. Does this sound right?

Anyway, it works now and I can play around with them.

Ted

Robert
12-14-2006, 07:35 AM
That's fantastic. I can only imagine what your reaction was when found the cause of it all. LOL DOH!!!

ace5548
12-14-2006, 10:43 PM
Well, after I picked myself up off the floor after bouncing around the room, I got to work. I think it's great. Now I can look for other ways to do things that I don't understand.

Thanks for all your help.

Ted