Appearing in dmoz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appearing in dmoz

I know the search engines give a lot of credit to sites listed in this directory, as it is human edited. Well I have been trying to register my site for a couple of months now and it always says due to technical problems try again in a couple of days!! Well this has turned into a couple of months, all mail to them gets returned as undelivered.

I know nobody here runs the site, but I was wondering if anyone knows what forces are at work here as it is rather frustrating. Could it be that they have too many sites to go through and put a technical issue message up there.

I am on the verge of giving up, anyone got their site listed and was it problem free?

Regards Paul
    www.anxietynomore.co.uk
    The U.K's largest independent site for help with Anxiety and Panic issues.

Buy and Source Wholesale Make Up
    Up to 75% off Branded top end Make-up.

www.firstwebcall.com
    Affordable Website Design.

www.anxietynomore.co.uk/blog

The most active blog on anxiety on the net.

Re: Appearing in dmoz

Paul,
    Getting in dmoz is hit or miss at best. I still don't have 2 of my sites in there - due to the same thing you've seen - and after you submit a site, there is no guarantee that the area it goes is currently has a "human editor". Thankfully the se's no longer give them the weight they once did - but it's still good to be there.

I don't think getting in it is ever problem free - I only look about once a month now - just did last night, as a matter of fact.

Find other directories, and don't waste too much time on it.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

For some reason now ,they are not taking any new sites. I have already tried.
      David H
      Have Fun, Be Safe :
      Self Defense Products
      Hidden Cameras

Comment

O.k I wont get too hung up on it. It was just as much a question as to if it was worth while to keep going back to try.

Regards Paul
        www.anxietynomore.co.uk

www.firstwebcall.com

Comment

Dmoz is a pain in the neck. They are taking sites occassionally. I had luck submitting to them twice but it was late in the evening here in the US both times I was able to get the site submittion buttons to work.

Bethers is correct about the SEs not giving it as much weight any more. I know it is expensive but the Yahoo paid directory is still a really good thing to do. It will cost you $299 per year but an SEO guru friend of mine told me that when it is time to renew and they call you, just tell them that you don't want to renew.....they still leave you in the directory! This directory listing will help with both Google and Yahoo but not with MSN.
          Affordable Medical Insurance
          Discount Dental Plan
          Washington State Health Insurance
          Temporary Health Insurance
          Homeowner Insurance Quote

Comment

I disagree with the need to pay to be in the Yahoo directory. More and more people are getting out of it because of some of the ways it works - and it truncates descriptions. And when I didn't renew - within weeks, I was removed from the directory - so that might happen - but don't count on it.

BTW, being in that directory didn't get me more traffic or sales - and there was no discernable difference when I left it - other than it took months before Yahoo got my description back to something that made sense on that site.
            Beth
            A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

I think the best reason to be in the Yahoo directory isn't for the traffic at all. The biggest reason is because of the increased weight their one way back link gives your website helps you with both Google and Yahoo. One thing to remember Bethers is that even though Google and Yahoo are separate entities and competitors, they both do crawl the same web and depending on what algorythym each is crawling with, heavy one way backlinks help with BOTH search engines. Google doesn't give less weight to a link just because it is found in the Yahoo directory. It will still see the link as a high PR back link to your site. And we all can use as many of them as we can get our hands on!
              Beginning your link building campaign with a serious high PR back link is a very sound strategy. However it may not be feasible for many people who have hobby sites to pay to be listed in that directory.

I also agree with you to not count on Yahoo not removing you if you don't re up for inclusion into the directory.
              Affordable Medical Insurance
              Discount Dental Plan
              Washington State Health Insurance
              Temporary Health Insurance
              Homeowner Insurance Quote

Comment

I always wondered if it was worth paying to go in Yahoo. My site is not a great money earner as there is just a book there. But it does create a nice little side income. Well after reading the above I may leave it.
                www.anxietynomore.co.uk

www.firstwebcall.com

Comment

Working...
                X