Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subdomain publishing only shows index files....please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subdomain publishing only shows index files....please help!

Hi guys,

I need a little help please. I have a problem and I'm stumped as to what to do next.

Main domain- justsaydogs.com
    Add on- idealinternetincome.com
    subdomain-awritersmagic.idealinternetincome.com

When I type in the subdomain url, it shows my files, you know, with parent directory and cgi bin, etc. I read a reply about renaming the subdomain page to index, but when I tried that, it wouldn't let me. (idealinternetincome main page is already named index.)

Somewhere on another thread I read that one of the index pages should be 'hidden in another folder so it wouldn't be seen', but I have no idea how to do that.

I also have a question about differing instructions- on one thread it said to publish it and leave the 'folder' space blank. (I think that may have been navaldesign's excellent mini tutorial, complete with screen shots) Another thread said to publish it to 'public_html/awritersmagic'. So I'm a bit confused about that.

I'm also confused over what should be the final url when I do get it active...will it be awritersmagic.idealinternetincome.com or idealinternetincome.com/awritersmagic.html? Right now nothing's working.

I've been all over the forum trying to find answers and re-watched the tutorial about subdomains, and have tried several things to get my little one page subdomain published, and thus far have had no success. Any advice or suggestions will be HUGELY appreciated!

I'm beginning to wonder if I even understand the difference between subdomain and add on domain....geez, I hope I did that part right at least!

I originally posted this in another thread on Dec 2 but never got a response. I'm hoping this time someone will see it and know the answer.

Thanks in advance,
    Honey
    Wish there was a magic way to get fresh, original content for your website or newsletter? There is!

Re: Subdomain publishing only shows index files....please help!

You do make yourself another index page for the landing page of your sub domain ... You don't really hide the folder, you just make another folder on your computer within your blue voda files that are in your "My Documents" folder .... a new folder allows you to have a new index page in each of the folders ... this then does not overwrite any of your exisiting index files ... this will then clear those files you are seeing, cgi bin etc.

you then publish to public_html/awritersmagic

http://www.awritersmagic.idealinternetincome.com

Tutorial can be found here

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

I have same problem. Have publish my index-side, but can't find it on the web. I don't understand what's wrong, followed the instruction step by step.

Comment

Ooohhhh!! Thank you SO much! You explained it so that I could understand it...and it worked! Now if I could figure out why I get that little red x instead of my graphics, I'd be SUCH a happy camper! It previews fine, but the published page doesn't show any graphics. That may be a topic for another thread....but I'm gonna search the forum first.

I'll say this...I could not have put up the first page had it not been for the help I've gotten on this forum....thank you again.

Honey

P.S. LOVE your sig, Holly!
        Wish there was a magic way to get fresh, original content for your website or newsletter? There is!

Comment

Hi Honey - what type of extension is on the picture that isn't displaying?
          Beth
          A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
          SEO - The Basics

Comment

Hi Beth,

They're jpeg images. What I can't understand is that on my main page, idealinternetincome.com, the images used to appear just fine. It was when I added a sub-domain, awritersmagic.idealinternetincome.com, suddenly now the graphics aren't showing on either site.

Thanks Beth, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Honey

Comment

Working...
            X