Xp pro needs to be activated...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xp pro needs to be activated...

Okay, this is a new problem... I recently reinstalled xp pro, and it asked me for the serial number... I put it in, but it didn't work... I used a crack (totally legal because I ad bought the product) and it was working fine. Yesterday, it said one day until you must activate, and now it won't let me boot with it. I say activate now, and then it says already activated... Then it goes back to the login screen. Not letting me in. Luckly, I have vista loaded on te same machine, so I have access to all of my files. Is there a way without being on the actual operating system (xp pro) and activating it, or just deleting the whole activation thing? Please, all sites that I have seen talk about being on the actual operating system, and changing some system registries. What can I do? Help!!!

P.s. This is not illegal. This is totally legit because I bought the operating system, and it didn't work, so I fixed it myself, but obviously didn't totally fix it.... Please help you guys..

Re: Xp pro needs to be activated...

Hi, If everything is legal. Just give Microsoft a ring. I found them really helpful & one of the few IT Company’s that you can actually pick up the phone & talk to.
    I even found the person I spoke to had the same accent & spoke the same dialect as me so I could understand.

Good luck.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

The problem somehow arrises when you either re-install XP over an existing version of XP using an OEM copy of XP. to CORRECTLY and LEGALLY use such a disk, u must install on a CLEAN computer or follow alternative, technical measures to do so. Because it's an OEM disk of XP, when you re-install, it tries to generate a unique SID for the computer but it won't because the computer already has one.

MY disk reads:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
      Service Pack 2
      Contains software and drivers already installed.
      For software reinstallation only.

For Distribution only with a new HP or Compaq PC

reinstalls using this disk on other pc's give the same issue your having. After trying again by making them "READY for OS" it worked like a charm.

If this doesn't apply to your situation, just let us know....lol, i have a 1200+page XP book in my lap that I could dust off.
      Robert
      www.GraphXntrix.com
      Your Visual Revolution Solution

Comment

hm... Thanks for all of your help. I am very glad that I partitioned my computer and put vista on the other section because now I can take all of my files over to this partition that I am on right now... Is there just like a file I can delete under the "WINDOWS" folder?

Comment

Originally posted by pemdas21
          hm... Thanks for all of your help. I am very glad that I partitioned my computer and put vista on the other section because now I can take all of my files over to this partition that I am on right now... Is there just like a file I can delete under the "WINDOWS" folder?
          Are you referring to getting rid of the "days left for activation" ?? message you keep getting?

Also, did you simply reinstall your os to a different partition? or do you mean you have XP on one and Vista on the other?
          Robert
          www.GraphXntrix.com

Comment

xp on one and vista on the other... And no... It says you need to activate xp before you can logon... So I hit okay, and then it says xp pro has already been activated... Then it sends me back to the login screen where goes in a circle.

Comment

This is child's play....obviously!

Make up your mind how clever you are wishing to be, and simply get 'er done!
              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Right, when you installed Vista on the other partition, it more than likely:

XP + SID

install Vista....
                you now have:

VISTA + NEW SID
                XP + NEW SID

There are instructions for installing two OS's on one computer that Microsoft makes readily available almost...everywhere, including your "whatever version Vista" you obtained.

Basically, it created a new unique SID number for your computer, and tossing out the old one.

By the way, isn't Vista supposed to be released in 2007? =p
                Robert
                www.GraphXntrix.com

Comment

I remember him stating his belief that he is BETA for Microsoft.

Interesting.......were this so, I am sure that he would have personal support available and quite possibly the ability for support to DirectConnect to do it for him before his very eyes!

I personally think it is a downloaded OEM bootleg copy without box or paper.....even the last 14 laptops I purchased 3 months ago are undoubtedly Vista-ready, but will all require a financial upgrade to install it. Just because I spent $20K didn't entitle ME to any "special status" even though I am BETA for 2 industry associations.
                  . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                  * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

about a year ago I signed up for all sorts of beta programs... They are now beginning to email me through my hotmail acount. I haven't been expecting anything though. And xp pro... It is not downloaded... Vista of course was downloaded at the location microsoft specified. They also game me the 207 software for free, which other people can dowanload for I think 10 bucks. (but it seems to only work on vista).

Comment

I just wanted to correct myself and thank Vasili for reminding me that pemdas21 mentioned it was a Beta version of vista.

All previous BETA versions as well as the FINAL version are currently available for MSDN subscribers. You must be registered as a developer to recieve your copy.
                      Robert
                      www.GraphXntrix.com

Comment

how do I become an msdn subscriber?

Comment

Working...
                        X